Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Visions of the GPT-4 era

Right, but as an educator myself, I would ask for citations. If you "google" a book by someone, you cite that son of a bitch. If you have the AI write something for you, it is the official policy of my alma mater that you need to cite that shit too, but if a student is just making an AI write a while paper for them, good luck getting a good grade from me. And if they don't cite? I've come down pretty hard on people for that in the past, but I'm not exactly Bill Adama here.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    And if they don't cite? I've come down pretty hard on people for that in the past, but I'm not exactly Bill Adama here.
    If you're not willing to vent them out into the darkness of space, how will they learn?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    If you're not willing to vent them out into the darkness of space, how will they learn?
    First of all, the Finnish space program isn't equipped for that. But secondly, we want our students to survive the process, no matter how mentally scarred, right?
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Right, but as an educator myself, I would ask for citations. If you "google" a book by someone, you cite that son of a bitch. If you have the AI write something for you, it is the official policy of my alma mater that you need to cite that shit too, but if a student is just making an AI write a while paper for them, good luck getting a good grade from me. And if they don't cite? I've come down pretty hard on people for that in the past, but I'm not exactly Bill Adama here.
    What you seem to be missing is that Finland has the best public education system in the first world, while the US has one of the worst (if not the worst).
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    What you seem to be missing is that Finland has the best public education system in the first world, while the US has one of the worst (if not the worst).
    And what do you think the US should do to match this performance? I won't contradict you since you're a doctor and all that, but some people have been raising questions about how well our educational system meets the needs of, say, immigrant children.

Also, again not to disparage your being a doctor, but "the first world?" You and I both know what the second world was, and uh OK I guess.

And what do you think the US should do to match this performance? I won't contradict you since you're a doctor and all that, but some people have been raising questions about how well our educational system meets the needs of, say, immigrant children.

Also, again not to disparage your being a doctor, but "the first world?" You and I both know what the second world was, and uh OK I guess.
    There are so many inter-connected elements that are simultaneously broken that there really are no solutions.

Throwing your hands in the air is a solution, I suppose. Not that I envy you.

It's the "Developing World." But they don't ever seem to develop. Except China, I guess. They've really come a long way.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    It's the "Developing World." But they don't ever seem to develop. Except China, I guess. They've really come a long way.
    No, that is the "third world". The "second world" was a thing from when you were a child.

No, that is the "third world". The "second world" was a thing from when you were a child.
    That was a long time ago. I remember all three of those terms getting thrown around like they meant one thing, but I think maybe they always meant something else to those who coined them. Or rather, maybe they were part of the smoke and mirrors - that's not exploitation, that's assistance, and they're developing so eventually they'll be rich like us. Uh huh. Not on our watch.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

I don't know how it was for other generations or outside the US, but "second world" was never much used here in my experience. "Third world" was but we just used "communist countries" rather than "second world"
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    I don't know how it was for other generations or outside the US, but "second world" was never much used here in my experience. "Third world" was but we just used "communist countries" rather than "second world"
    I honestly don't know. Funnily enough in Finnish, "the second world" literally translates to what is the equivalent of "the other world", but there were other reasons why Finnish popular discourse didn't really engage on this topic.

Maybe I just called Chaloobi old? I'm sorry if that was the case.

But be as it may, the first, second and third world were originally Cold war concepts, and it's a peeve of mine that people use these category terms after the collapse of the Soviet Union. I'm sure friend Low-key understands this, and took my pedantry in stride.

I understand the negative implications, but developed/developing are so inaccurate as to be useless. Ditto for global north/south.

The main concern is that similarity between people output and AI output can create confusions that allow very nasty schemes of fraud. Basically it will make it hard to differentiate if there is a human or not behind a content, and it will be hard to differentiate if an output was crafted by AI or a human.
    Also the legalization of use of AI companies of copyrighter material to feed AI will legalize AI driven piracy. It will not show up immediately, but it will eventually.
    Aside of that I can foresee AI companies wasting huge amounts of money in areas where using traditional software is more cost effective, and I anticipate copyright abuses on people via contracts to seize rights of people after they die to keep using AI to produce outputs. Basically companies hire you, get data from you, fire you and they make money with yout data forever. If data is your voice, you cannot make a living without voice as they are the owners of your voice.
    Aside of that I anticipate very hilarious outcomes due to the overestimation of AI capabilities due to urban myths derived from the overhype regarding AI.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

Lawyer commits the cardinal sin of AI use:

https://reason.com/volokh/2023/05/27...atgpt/printer/
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I had to convert some (of my own, very kludgy) code written in a language I just barely know how to use, to another language I don't know at all. GPT-4 saved me days—if not weeks?—of work, while simultaneously helping me get more familiar with the new language. Best of all—it helped me identify pitfalls with the old code that I wouldn't have been able to figure out without GPT-4 (because search is so crappy these days that you practically need to already have the URL for the information you're looking for). GPT-3.5, in contrast, was torture. Extraordinarily frustrating. Made me want to physically break things. GPT-4 is—in my case, given my present circumstances—worth the price of admission. I enjoyed the collaborative problem-/mystery-solving, and I've undoubtedly been much more productive with this tool than I would've been without it.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Hang on, I thought all these computer algorithms (including AI) was supposed to make our lives better and easier. Or was that just a narrative we bought into, that turned out to be false marketing, which made tons of tech bros obscenely rich, to the detriment of society?

It's confusing that some 400 AI/tech 'experts' signed a letter warning the world about the possibility of Humanity's Extinction, but only after they've already made tons of money, and they're still working on it? They're begging for gov't regulation, but until then it's whoo hoo, pad that financial portfolio while they can?

Forget AI, WTF is wrong with humans?