Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
Caved and did a ChatGPT at work the other day, taking my first step on the road to becoming an eloi.
I would honestly be hard pressed to find something useful for ChatGPT to do in my job. I've thought about various AI tasks (outside of highly specialized machine learning applications that are already used in my work) and the only thing I've come up with for a massive plagiarism engine is when I'm sometimes asked to come up with some literature to support a claim or provide background information, and I imagine ChatGPT et al might be marginally better than a search engine in producing a first draft reading list. But I only do that a few times a year.

Most of what I do is relatively unstructured troubleshooting that would take far longer to provide a computer program enough information and context to be useful than to just figure it out myself. I routinely answer questions like 'why is our material now blue?' or 'how do we make this process faster without compromising performance properties?' or even 'what is the set of data that would be necessary to justify changing X process?' It requires so much contextual information - as well as so broad of an understanding of fundamental principles in chemistry, materials science, physiology, toxicology, mechanical engineering, and chemical engineering - that I think any answer you'd be likely to get would be absolute gibberish. I suppose I could have an AI generate a first draft of e.g. regulatory documents, but they are crafted with such care to nuances in language that I doubt we'd save much time.

*shrugs* I view this as a curiosity more than anything else.