Thread: Visions of the GPT-4 era

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I had to take an old class that had been written to connect to a FTP server with some PHP library that didn't support SFTP and rewrite it with another one that did. This is conceptually simple but requires a fair amount of keyboard dumping and pouring over reference material to figure out how functions are supposed to be used. The kind of thing I'd been looking for to try it out on.

It made some mistakes and I had to nudge it in the right direction, but overall I think it was faster... probably? Maybe? I also asked it to describe the purpose of the code it was to rewrite first, so I was sure it knew what it was about, which it did.

It definitely has use cases, but I don't think it's taking anyone's jobs away until GPT-12 is released some time in April.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    I'm unemployable right now!

That said, I think the media has over-played how scary the "new AI" is. Sure, it can make me a picture of a duck hugging a kitten, but it's still not really there when it comes to actually innovative stuff like educating people, or writing whatever fan-fiction of Ariel Sharon that keeps Low-key employed.

I also thought it was interesting that some university educators thought that ChatGPT would be an asset rather than a liability, because they thought it could be used to check on students' work rather than the kids having it do the work for them.
    good to hear from you

And agreed I can't believe that the focus of generative AI is still...chatbots. Smarterchild is rising from his/her/their grave.