Thread: Should an Assault + Racial Slur = Hate Crime Charges Always?

Default Should an Assault + Racial Slur = Hate Crime Charges Always?

Well?

What happened to "fry 'em all"? I'm sure YHWH would sort out the hate criminals after your brand of justice was done.

Editor's note: YHWH does not exist
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Ah another challenging philosophical question from the toothpaste lyncher. insert clown emoji here
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Well?
    Only if the victim has money (unless they're black, in which case they don't qualify even if middle or upper class) or was trying to shoot their attacker first in "self defense." Obviously.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    What happened to "fry 'em all"? I'm sure YHWH would sort out the hate criminals after your brand of justice was done.

Editor's note: YHWH does not exist
    Fun fact I think the idea of hate crimes at all isn't really principally sound. If someone punches you because you are white or because you are trans or because you wore the wrong sports jersey or because you cut them off in traffic or because they were filming something for tiktok, the harm is the same. However pragmatically I appreciate the good that hate crime enhancements cause in the form of keeping people locked in a cage longer. Ideally we would lock everyone up for violent crimes longer (or fry 'em) but we shouldn't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

"Ideally we would lock everyone up" is a step up from Heinrich Himmler himself!

Also, since we are entertaining here, it does make a difference if someone punches a person because they happen to be Asian, or trans, or any other minority group. If the punch was intended for that person because they were white, or coloured, or any other minority group.

I'm sure I don't need to belabor the point too much, but you are aware that in your United States of America, there were groups of people who dressed up as ghosts and went around punching everyone not white and straight enough, right? Maybe "punching" is too kind, those folks went around killing people. It is patently absurd to claim that "the harm is the same" when you have that kind of historical baggage around. I'm sure in a libertarian paradise everyone would just do as they were told, but there's a video game about that and oh yeah, you get to hammer the head libertarian honcho to death with a golf club.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Did I almost entirely agree with a nazi?
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    "Ideally we would lock everyone up" is a step up from Heinrich Himmler himself!

Also, since we are entertaining here, it does make a difference if someone punches a person because they happen to be Asian, or trans, or any other minority group. If the punch was intended for that person because they were white, or coloured, or any other minority group.

I'm sure I don't need to belabor the point too much, but you are aware that in your United States of America, there were groups of people who dressed up as ghosts and went around punching everyone not white and straight enough, right? Maybe "punching" is too kind, those folks went around killing people. It is patently absurd to claim that "the harm is the same" when you have that kind of historical baggage around. I'm sure in a libertarian paradise everyone would just do as they were told, but there's a video game about that and oh yeah, you get to hammer the head libertarian honcho to death with a golf club.
    Not "everyone" locked up, only violent criminals. Do keep up.

And no I don't actually think it causes more damage to a person if they were punched for one reason or the other. The harm is the punch, not the motivation. But again its a bit of a moot point as I'm all about keeping violent criminals in prison longer.

Nice Bioshock reference tho

Wild stab in the dark here, I'm guessing you see as much Law and Order shows as I do. You know that motivation is part of the trifecta that they go for there, right?

The harm is the punch, sure, but the motive? Therein lies the gist. If I want to punch Lewkowski because he is a Pole and therefore someone the Nazi state would hurt, it wouldn't mean much, would it? Lewkowski has friends and buddies and they wouldn't let me shove you into an oven without them acting out.

Now imagine being someone of a different status. No one there to support you, and mean old Nessus just angling to punch someone. The punch is the harm, right? But that is not it, my man. The hit is that people, unlike you, have to hide, have to pretend, and have to live in a stupid game of masquerade all for fear of being "just punched". Because the punch is the harm. Not that people need be afraid of being themselves.

Of course in a true libertarian fashion this will get pooh-poohed away, because the punch is the harm.

Exactly, the anticipation of the punch makes an actual difference.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Not "everyone" locked up, only violent criminals. Do keep up.
    you have very clearly advocated and defended deadly force against nonviolent crimes (and noncrimes). so fuck off.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Crimes against property are the most violent crimes of all, OG.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Crimes against property are the most violent crimes of all, OG.
    I wouldn't say that but violent crime absolutely does include violence towards inanimate objects.