Thread: Mussolini vs. the Mouse

Default Mussolini vs. the Mouse

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ld-trump-2024/

When the Walt Disney Co. went looking for evidence to feature in its new lawsuit against Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, its lawyers found much of what they needed in DeSantis’s own recently published memoir.

Buried in Disney’s complaint against DeSantis is something surprising. Numerous quotes taken from “The Courage to be Free” appear to support the company’s central allegation: that the Republican governor improperly wielded state power to punish Disney’s speech criticizing his policies, violating the First Amendment.

Memoirs by presidential aspirants often lay out a blueprint for their coming candidacies. DeSantis’s does, too. It boasts extensively about his war on Disney to advertise how he would marshal the powers of the presidency against so-called woke elites.

Disney’s lawsuit cites exactly these passages. DeSantis — who signed a law taking control of Disney’s special self-governing district, and moved to nullify the company’s efforts to work around it — repeatedly flaunts the truth: These were retaliation against Disney for opposing his “don’t say gay” law limiting classroom discussion of sex and gender.

DeSantis’s book brags about his rapid mobilization of the state legislature to target Disney’s tax district. The same passage declares that this happened because of the company’s “support of indoctrinating young schoolchildren in woke gender identity politics.” That admits to retribution against speech opposing his legislation.

The book rips Disney for vowing to work to repeal the governor’s law, describing this as “a frontal assault” on it. That, too, is a description of political speech. Yet the book menacingly declares that, after this, “things got worse for Disney,” and that it would “soon find out” the truth about Florida’s war with Disney, i.e., the state would punish that speech.

The book describes DeSantis’s discussions with Republicans in the Florida legislature about whether they were prepared to tackle the “thorny issue involving the state’s most powerful company.” That confirms Disney was the unique target of legislative action.

In a companion to the book’s launch, DeSantis wrote a Wall Street Journal op-ed that explicitly discussed governmental actions against Disney as an effort to “fight back” against its “woke ideology,” which is to say, its political speech.
    Florida general counsel be like

Gotta admit this is a little funny.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I've been having a very hard time with this. On one hand, I hate what DeSantis has been doing. OTOH, it's Disney and the traditional government cozying with them has been abhorrent too. I'm pissed at DeSantis because his retaliatory actions are making me side with the Mouse. And I'm pissed with the Mouse over their subversion of the Reedy Creek takeover because those arrogant shenanigans are precisely why corporations shouldn't be lent government power in the first place.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    I've been having a very hard time with this. On one hand, I hate what DeSantis has been doing. OTOH, it's Disney and the traditional government cozying with them has been abhorrent too. I'm pissed at DeSantis because his retaliatory actions are making me side with the Mouse. And I'm pissed with the Mouse over their subversion of the Reedy Creek takeover because those arrogant shenanigans are precisely why corporations shouldn't be lent government power in the first place.
    Yeah, I've just decided to think of the Mouse as an antihero for now. I don't wanna see any redemption arcs!

DeSantis writing a book titled "The Courage to be Free" is pathetic political pandering. I hope his hypocrisy bites him in court.

If he (and the GOP controlled legislature) actually wanted to roll back self-governing districts getting special perks, The Villages would be on that list, too. But since the seniors who live there predominantly vote Red, they'll get a pass?

Our Cognitive Dissonance in politics has always been there, especially in Red states that foam-at-the-mouth about Freeeedom and States' Rights, yet demand Federal dollars every time there's a disaster they didn't want to fund. But all these (R) dominated red states have now is grievance and culture wars. Don't say Gay, bathroom laws, banning books and drag shows and abortion....it's all a cover for their authoritarianism and lust for power.

What disturbs me most is that there are still people who will vote (R) no matter how fascist or anti-democratic that party has become. DeSantis is a symptom of much larger problems, just like Trump was.

At this point, half the GOP voters support their party precisely because of how fascist and anti-democratic it has become.
    Hope is the denial of reality

It's kinda bonkers that the world's only superpower and a beacon of freedom is being held hostage by a steadily shrinking group of dull-witted sex-pests with no impulse control