Thread: Coronation

Default Coronation

I watched today, because, well, because I would. And I was strangely disappointed. It felt very much like watching an underfunded movie. It also felt like outdated and overburdened with rituals that don't mean anything to the vast majority of people. It was mostly boring.

Rather than seeing a ceremony about the connection between ruler and ruled as we see in inaugurations, we were allowed to peek in on a tete-a-tete between God and the king. All the pump and circumstance didn't make up for this.

The innovations that were supposed to be implemented were too minimal to not get the feeling we were watching a COE service with some added tinsel. The meeting with the other religious leaders just before Charles exit from the Abbey felt more like a slap in the face than a recognition of their relevance in the modern UK.

I seriously wonder if this coronation didn't do damage to the monarch, rather than enhance it's image.
    Congratulations America

At least they upheld the ancient English tradition of arresting peaceful protesters, gotta give 'em that wasting so much money on an event like this—at a time when children are going hungry due to an underfunded and dehumanizing welfare system—is bound to damage the monarchy. Reports of councils prioritizing costly coronation-related events over funding food banks etc. will—rightly—spark outrage, most of which is likely to be directed at the monarchy.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Click to view the full version
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    At least they upheld the ancient English tradition of arresting peaceful protesters, gotta give 'em that wasting so much money on an event like this—at a time when children are going hungry due to an underfunded and dehumanizing welfare system—is bound to damage the monarchy. Reports of councils prioritizing costly coronation-related events over funding food banks etc. will—rightly—spark outrage, most of which is likely to be directed at the monarchy.
    As you know, I'm never one to be swayed by the 'the money could have been spent better'. The money spent goes for a big part into the pockets of people on overtime, so at least they share in the loot. And it's not like they got all the tinsel new. That's republican talk.

But my point was more about how does this still wow its support base?

As for the picture; I don't agree. As she walked to the coronation chair with her crown on, she had (they both had) a look on her face that kind of said: 'look at us looking silly'.
    Congratulations America

Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    That link appears not to work.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    That link appears not to work.
    You get a too many redirects error when you click on it?
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

The person deleted their account.
    Hope is the denial of reality