Thread: Trump owns the libs once again

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    While I do not have enough information to evaluate the claims, there were far more accusations about Bill Clinton than the Lewinsky scandal. The most egregious being Juanita Broaddrick, which shares at least some similarities with the E. Jean Carroll case. There were a number of allegations where the consent or ability to consent (given the power dynamics) of Clinton's various partners can be reasonably called into question - especially Paula Jones. Certainly his pattern of behavior - irrespective of how consensual the encounters were - suggests he was at minimum a serial philanderer, but more likely guilty of the kind of sexual misconduct which appears to have been common among powerful men, as the Me Too revelations continue to demonstrate.

I have no doubt that Trump is a rapist - likely a serial rapist - and certainly guilty of repeated, serial sexual assault over many decades. I have no reason to doubt that his behavior is particularly egregious compared to other recent presidents, including Clinton. But I think there's reasonable claims that Clinton did far more than receive a consensual blowjob.
    The power dynamics issue is fair but it wasn't well understood by the public back then. Any credible allegations should have been investigated, and I believe they were by Kenneth Starr and the Lewinsky thing was the best he had. Now let's stop trying to toss out whataboutisms to deflect and downplay for Trump. His crimes shouldn't be normalized.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    The power dynamics issue is fair but it wasn't well understood by the public back then. Any credible allegations should have been investigated, and I believe they were by Kenneth Starr and the Lewinsky thing was the best he had. Now let's stop trying to toss out whataboutisms to deflect and downplay for Trump. His crimes shouldn't be normalized.
    Are you speaking as a forum moderator or as a poster here? But I specifically said I'm not defending Trump, but the historical precedents like the god damn Kennedies, who assuredly actually killed people. Of course Ted was shot after Chappaquiddick before he could become president, but are you telling me with a straight face you don't believe in the stuff about the Clinton White House and that one room that's referenced in an X-men movie of all fucking things?

Obviously Trump is a criminal, and he's been found liable (is that the word? I just watch a lot of SVU) as such. No one is normalizing his behaviour, because the POTUS isn't a normal position. Nor is anyone operating at high levels of US government no matter the branch.

But on the other hand, it's a really preposterous idea to say that Trump out of all the presidents, and their various dynasties, is somehow a special case. Everyone involved with Vietnam was a war criminal and then some, and they hanged some folks at Nüremberg for that back in the day. And most past POTUSes had some really weird personal shit, including criminal things. So why is any of this "normalizing" what one rapist did compared to the others? They should all be condemned, no?
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.