Thread: Update on the case of the missing sub

Default Update on the case of the missing sub

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Apparently, the sub losing communication with the ship happens on a fairly regular basis.

Also, apparently:

When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Am I very bad not being overly upset about people with too much money dying doing their ridiculously dangerous hobbies?
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Apparently, the sub losing communication with the ship happens on a fairly regular basis.

Also, apparently:

Best part:

Last edited by Aimless; 06-21-2023 at 08:58 AM.

I actually watched the segment, and to be fully fair to the man, it does actually mention that the sub went missing (though in the show it says 2.5 hours), and the sub was still in contact with the ship throughout, unlike this time around. The part that wasn't mentioned is the Internet blackout. It also does do a fairly good job of painting the whole operation as sketchy as fuck.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Well, you know, at least the CEO was one of the people on the sub.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Unless they find bodies my headcannon says this is a Blacklist episode about crooks faking their deaths.

I don't care much for the almost certainly dead by now folks in the submersible, but I must admit I was somewhat surprised about the magnitude and amount of cheering for their deaths online. It's as though the internet is full of Lewks, only these one use someone's net worth instead of amount of melanin in their skin as the sole criterion for determining how to feel about their death.
    Carthāgō dēlenda est

Dehumanization is an uncontrollable habit

Debris found, consistent with implosion:
    https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/...astrophic-loss
    Carthāgō dēlenda est

Wow! $250,000 for burial-at-sea. Scratch that off my list of ways to escape this world.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

The cost is for pretty much the whole world paying attention to your demise. I'm quite certain that one can pull this off much cheaper if the entire thing is supposed to be more discreet.
    Carthāgō dēlenda est

Well at least an impulsion would have been quick.

But, seriously, these fucking people:

https://www.itv.com/news/2023-06-21/...extreme-danger

But, according to Mr Lochridge, the passenger viewport was only certified for depths of up to 1,300 meters (4,265 feet), and OceanGate would not pay for the manufacturer to build a viewport certified for 4,000 meters.
    In a 2019 interview with Smithsonian magazine, the OceanGate founder complained that the industry’s approach was stifling innovation.

"There hasn’t been an injury in the commercial sub industry in over 35 years," Mr Rush said.

"It’s obscenely safe because they have all these regulations... But it also hasn’t innovated or grown - because they have all these regulations."
    Tech CEO Brain is a disease.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

The sad part is that people apparently thought "hey, the CEO of the company apparently trusts this thing with his life - that must mean that it is reasonably safe", instead of "hey, the CEO of the company apparently trusts this thing with his life - that must mean that he's a delusional moron, let's get out of here!".
    Carthāgō dēlenda est

Well, it seems they have been dead due to a catastrophic implosion. For their sales I hope that meant instant death.
    Congratulations America

These guys are going to get hit by the lawsuit equivalent of desert storm.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

And then?
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    And then?
    They implode, like their sub.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

You seriously expect the business to survive the death of its CEO in a catastrophic failure of the equipment they developed and used? That business will be long gone before any case can get started.
    Congratulations America

Meanwhile, some 600+ refugees drowned off the coast of Greece on their way to Italy when their overloaded ship capsized, and a $140 million mega yacht owned by a Spanish silver magnate rescued about 100. That didn't get much news coverage. Priorities dontchaknow

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Meanwhile, some 600+ refugees drowned off the coast of Greece on their way to Italy when their overloaded ship capsized, and a $140 million mega yacht owned by a Spanish silver magnate rescued about 100. That didn't get much news coverage. Priorities dontchaknow
    Maybe where you live. I have seen interviews with family members of victims of both tragedies. In the case of the migrants ship including a background story about where a big number of them were from and how they pay the traffickers with borrowed money.

Not to forget the comments about how we can only tackle illegal immigration if we start dealing with legal immigration more seriously.
    Congratulations America