Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ride of the lolkyries aka. the fate of the Wagner Group

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    The main thing to watch for will be changes at the top of the Russian MOD. There were reports/rumours flying around at the end of yesterday that part of the deal involved giving Shoigu and/or Gerasimov the boot. This was basically one of Prigozhin's demands (the other being 'don't fold Wagner into the regular army', which he did get). So, if that happens it means Putin just caved in, and if he didn't it means the deal was more balanced.

Also, there should probably be some kind of proof of life video of Prigozhin at some point
    Oh, I'm certain he's still alive. They want him to tell them who he was expecting support from before they let him retire (though how he expects to avoid assassination six months after that is beyond me)
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Oh, I'm certain he's still alive. They want him to tell them who he was expecting support from before they let him retire (though how he expects to avoid assassination six months after that is beyond me)
    The Russian way is to assume everyone is guilty. None of that until proven nonsense either way. Guilty is the default mode, defenestration is a favorite type of execution. Because it terrifies the underlings and it makes court cases that could make the leader seem weak unnecessary.
    Congratulations America

Since I wrote that, he posted another audiolog, so he's definitely still alive.

Six month is a long time in the current environment, anything could have happened by then.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Isn't it funny how in Russia rumors can be arrested?
    Congratulations America

Rumor has it Surovikin was detained, questioned, and then released (although nobody's saying from what height he was released)
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

(though how he expects to avoid assassination six months after that is beyond me)
    *just a bit under two

Notably, Dmitry Utkin, Wagner founder and commander, was also killed, which would seem to have completely beheaded Wagner.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I thought they'd want the attention on his fate to die down a bit more. *shrugs*
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

I thought they'd want the attention on his fate to die down a bit more. *shrugs*
    Why? An execution this brutal, this openly also serves to intimidate anyone who might have notions of greatness. We will never fully understand Vladimir Putin, but the times when he decides to act like a common drugs lord are the easiest to grasp.
    Congratulations America

They could have been genuinely open, done a show trial and everything, and no one would have batted an eye about that either. I just don't really get pretending and obfuscating but only for two months rather than waiting a bit longer. Unless this was just how long it took to get the info about his quiet backers and undertake the operations against them. In which case I'd suspect they might still have not been as thorough as I would generally expect

Three senior Wagner members (Prigozhin, Utkin and a man called Valery Chekalov who seems to have been their top logistics/admin type person) on a plane at the same time may simply have been too tempting a target to pass up.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Three senior Wagner members (Prigozhin, Utkin and a man called Valery Chekalov who seems to have been their top logistics/admin type person) on a plane at the same time may simply have been too tempting a target to pass up.
    It's not beyond the abilities of Putin to make sure any 3 persons in Russia he wants to be in the same plane, to be in the same plane. I do get the brutality of this execution. What I don't have an explanation for is; what's with the 2 months wait?

Did he need time to make sure some of the assets he wanted for himself wouldn't implode by a sudden disappearance of Prigozhin? Did he need Prigozhin in the preparation of plans in Africa/Niger? Many, many more questions than answers. I guess we'll have to learn that unlike the Soviet Union, Mafia-run Russia has an effective enforcement of omerta.
    Congratulations America

On a slightly related note, we still don't know anything about the fate of Surovikin.
    Carthāgō dēlenda est

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    It's not beyond the abilities of Putin to make sure any 3 persons in Russia he wants to be in the same plane, to be in the same plane.
    If he has the power simply to force Wagner leaders to do things (like getting on a plane) then the coup attempt would never have happened in the first place.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Did they find identifiable bodies bc if not I'm expecting a comeback season after next.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

If he has the power simply to force Wagner leaders to do things (like getting on a plane) then the coup attempt would never have happened in the first place.
    You missed the part where the coup failed and Wagner was in a process of being dissolved? Where Prigozhin was concerned, for Putin he was just a caterer who'd gotten into it over his head and who was useful as teaching material.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Did they find identifiable bodies bc if not I'm expecting a comeback season after next.
    They claim they did.
    Congratulations America