Thread: Threads

Default Threads

Will the Zucke do to twitter what he did to myspace? I hope so!
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Bluesky is the closest thing so far. Threads seems to suck ass?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Based on what information? Are you spoofing your location so you can use it?

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Based on what information? Are you spoofing your location so you can use it?
    Based on ongoing reviews of (and screenshots from) Threads, courtesy of people willing to sacrifice their sanity for our knowledge. This is some of the worst cringe I've ever seen.

https://jogblog.substack.com/p/faceb...-so-depressing

Unlike the other Twitter clones, this one has the resources to succeed. It has an in-built audience from Instagram. It's not buggy. The features will come soon enough. Meta seems to be making sure "influencers" are doing their thing, which presumably is what draws most people to social media.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Unlike the other Twitter clones, this one has the resources to succeed. It has an in-built audience from Instagram. It's not buggy. The features will come soon enough. Meta seems to be making sure "influencers" are doing their thing, which presumably is what draws most people to social media.
    Think the mistake here is thinking Threads is a Twitter clone when it's an evolution of Instagram and FB. Different audiences, functions and appeal. Will happily coexist alongside whichever platform ends up succeeding Twitter. Of the Twitter clones, only Bluesky feels like a version of Twitter, in terms of vibes and community.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Think the mistake here is thinking Threads is a Twitter clone when it's an evolution of Instagram and FB. Different audiences, functions and appeal. Will happily coexist alongside whichever platform ends up succeeding Twitter. Of the Twitter clones, only Bluesky feels like a version of Twitter, in terms of vibes and community.
    I'm already seeing journalists and news organizations over there. Meanwhile, I haven't come across a single white supremacist yet. The main features that are missing is being able to search, send DMs, and to only see threads from people you follow. I'm sure all of those features will come out in the next few months.

Bluesky will never replace Twitter because it will never gain a critical mass of users. Think of it as a MMORPG. You could have the best game ever, but if you have no way to gain and keep a large audience, people will get bored and leave.

I'm already seeing journalists and news organizations over there. Meanwhile, I haven't come across a single white supremacist yet. The main features that are missing is being able to search, send DMs, and to only see threads from people you follow. I'm sure all of those features will come out in the next few months.
    Of course you're seeing journalists and news organizations over there—they're writing about Threads you can find them on LinkedIn as well. There are many social media platforms who all coexist in an ecosystem that, although it is dominated by a few massive players, is still kinda diverse. I don't expect them to supplant one another purely through competition over the same audiences. There'll be homes for normies as well as for all the different flavours of weird little freaks.

How many journalists are active on Bluesky or Mastodon?

How many journalists are active on Bluesky or Mastodon?
    I dunno 'bout Mastodon, think it mostly drew a bunch of academics and other nerds who were soon discouraged by the weird scoldy tone, not to mention the discovery problem. My feed on Bluesky is (sadly) chock full of journos, 98% of whom are snarking about Threads today journos have accounts on a bunch of platforms ofc.

This is what I had expected Rupert Murdoch to do to protect myspace from facebook back when it first came out.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...ac928d73&ei=20

For those of you on Threads who don't want to see corporate accounts trying to clumsily fellate one another all up and down your TL:

https://mashable.com/article/thread-...ou-follow-feed

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    This is what I had expected Rupert Murdoch to do to protect myspace from facebook back when it first came out.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...ac928d73&ei=20
    Not sure what Rupert Murdoch and myspace have to do with a broke-ass delinquent threatening a lawsuit he can't afford on the basis of a case he doesn't have

That doesn't actually work. It affects who you see notifications from. Once you follow enough people, you do mostly see those feeds.

That doesn't actually work. It affects who you see notifications from. Once you follow enough people, you do mostly see those feeds.
    Sorry, pasted the wrong link:

https://imgur.com/a/WbgJ13H

(it's an instagram setting)

Nope, options don't show up. Only allows you to hide an individual post.

Nope, options don't show up. Only allows you to hide an individual post.
    Afaict he's talking about changing a setting on Instagram, which (he says) affects your Threads feed. On instagram, find a "suggested" post from an account you aren't following, click the dots, click the "manage suggested content" option, then select the option to snooze for 30 days. And then restart Threads and log in I guess? I don't know, I'm not a professional turd-wrangler

Meanwhile, I haven't come across a single white supremacist yet.
    may they get lost on the way to your feed:

https://www.mediamatters.org/faceboo...premacists-are

So they're not posting under their real names - meaning they're getting few followers and little exposure - and have to be circumvent in the kind of words they use. Very different to Twitter.

Sign up for Threads, win a Tesla! Elon can now start calling Mr. Beast daddy.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news...40d099a&ei=102

Got an email from Mastodon about Threads. Sounds like it was written by a 15-year-old emo.

White Supremacists live for the DMs. And being late to a party. Just you wait!