Thread: Maine shootings

Default Maine shootings

At least 22 dead, 50+ injured, suspect still at large?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/25/us/le...ing/index.html

Hope none of you have family there.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

So much for the good guy with a gun theory. They all ducked for cover like everybody else.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Still seeing death toll being reported as either "at least" 18 or 22. Suspect still at large, public told to shelter in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    So much for the good guy with a gun theory. They all ducked for cover like everybody else.
    Because they don't just need a gun. They need a bigger gun. If we'd just let people carry fully-automatic rifles openly around town. . .
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

It might just be me, and I know the world is permanently on fire these days, but this seems to be generating far less coverage and conversation that these things normally do.

Could it be, finally, that mass shootings in America have become... boring?
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It might just be me, and I know the world is permanently on fire these days, but this seems to be generating far less coverage and conversation that these things normally do.

I think that has been so for quite a while now.

I mean, there's a list in Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...States_in_2023

That thing is massive. It seems the cases with single-digit numbers of dead/injured aren't even considered worthy of mention in the news.
    And the table at the end is fantastic, in a grimdark sort of way. To think that there is a country that considers itself to be one of the most developed ones on the face of the Earth, and it actually needs to count "Total days without shooting" per month - and by that measure, so far only September has had more than half "non-mass-shooting days" (what a concept!).
    Carthāgō dēlenda est

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post

Oh no, they've definitely been talking about it in the US. Anything to avoid acknowledging the fire raging outside.

If half the country cared nearly as much about the first amendment as they did the second, the US would be a utopia.
    Hope is the denial of reality