Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can a Ruler Rule Alone?

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Self-fulfilling prophecy, as well!
    I LOVE IT! What else? Eye for an Eye?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Spawnie View Post
    My knowledge of history may not be up to Ness or Steelys scratch but its a bit more advanced than hollywood movies...
    I read about the actual man who Tom Cruise played and about his life, and the events actually happened almost entirely as they did in the movie.

Ive read about it too. I know enough to know where bits were changed in the movie, like the start. I suppose what i was getting at is that my knowledge probably surpasses people who, say, studied it in school, but isnt really deep enough to discuss in detail the power plays and supporting factions in german history 1939-1945 with people who know that shit to the last detail.

Edit: the general theme of your post was obvs fine, but its all stuff thats "commonly known", a.k.a: wrong.
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

I'd like to know some of the commonly known things in my post that were wrong... seriously! I was just throwing things and seeing what sticks, as usual, you know?

AGA: Nessies post that follows yours flatly contradicts it in most ways, and i annoyingly cant see it now, but there was another post that contraditcted the rest, saying that the military and people were informed and in cases participated in the slaughter.
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

AGA: Nessies post that follows yours flatly contradicts it in most ways, and i annoyingly cant see it now, but there was another post that contraditcted the rest, saying that the military and people were informed and in cases participated in the slaughter.
    Hmm, well, from Nessie's post, it is unclear when the military loved him -- when Germany was re-arming, or when Germany was fighting an endless war?

Quote Originally Posted by agamemnus View Post
    Hmm, well, from Nessie's post, it is unclear when the military loved him -- when Germany was re-arming, or when Germany was fighting an endless war?
    Elements of the military tried to kill him in the midst of that endless war.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

They were a rather small and ultimately insignificant group, they didn't even manage to outmanoeuvre Dr. Goebbels from Berlin while Hitler was being bombed; they botched pretty much all of it. There were tens of assassination attempts and plots against Hitler but mostly by singular agents or the officers in the clique that ended up as Tom Cruise fodder, Hitler escaped them all, often unwittingly. Where's your God now

The reasons behind the lackluster resistance within the military are many-fold, but the point to take home is that the military apparatus did function as much as it did 'til the end. German officers' honour and all that. Of course when the writing was on the wall, everyone made their exit at some point, be it behind Western Allied lines or eating a bullet.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post

The reasons behind the lackluster resistance within the military are many-fold, but the point to take home is that the military apparatus did function as much as it did 'til the end. German officers' honour and all that. Of course when the writing was on the wall, everyone made their exit at some point, be it behind Western Allied lines or eating a bullet.
    Good soldiers obey orders without question. Germany had a fine military.

(Makes me wonder sometimes what the US military would do, if ordered. )
    The Rules

Does it? It shouldnt.

Does it? It shouldnt.
    Does what? What shouldn't?
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Does what? What shouldn't?
    Shouldn't make you wonder.