Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you willing to give up in order to give up oil?

Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    It's on topic. Address it or not as it suits you, but don't whine.
    That's pretty funny coming from you. I guess you don't mind being a raging hypocrite. You're probably used to it by now, what with all the practice you've had.

So we'll fix the whole warming thing? Give me specifics!
    I'm sure the plan has something to do with air conditioning and summer homes in Maine.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    That's pretty funny coming from you. I guess you don't mind being a raging hypocrite. You're probably used to it by now, what with all the practice you've had.
    Whatever, you still don't have the balls to answer the question. One of the biggest impacts a person has vis a vis energy consumption is the home they live in. You live in a huge one, far larger than your family reasonably needs. And back when we originally talked about it, Loki agreed with me that it was conspicuous consumption, and that it was hypocritical. When Loki and I agree on something, it's likely got some heft to it.

I don't really care what you do with that. It makes you no different than Lewk with his reveling in energy consumption, or the large majority of other Americans with their Hummers and whatnot. But I am going to bring it up in the context of this thread title. You can kick or whine and make a big deal out of it, or you can ignore it. I'd have let it lie had it been the latter. I'm only responding to you because of your hysterical accusations. As far as I'm concerned, you brought it up and then you completely dodged the question by trying to make it about me, same as last time. So, whatever man. You'll keep pretending like you're an innocent victim. Same old same old.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    They shoot rapists, don't they?
    Lewk advocates shooting shoplifters. I'll assume he'd for torturing rapists first. And that's just those who rape an individual. Lord knows what punishment he'd advocate for raping a whole planet.

Chaloobi pretty much admitted that the reason he got the house is because he was given the advice to buy the largest house he could afford. I think he just didn't think out the implications of it.
    Hope is the denial of reality

I have a larger-than-needed home, too. Many reasons for that, and some make sense, but most don't. I don't think my 'carbon footprint' is any worse for it, though. I've got it zoned so we only heat or cool the used rooms. Even on super hot days like this weekend, the A/C is off and the ceiling fans are on. I've got shade trees and old but decent windows. I can rack dry clothes instead of using the electric dryer, use the microwave or crock pot instead of the whole oven. My neighbors probably want me to mow the lawn, but I keep it long and a bit weedy on purpose.

Even so, nothing wrong with choobie expressing the duality of our society, why people buy homes, or fix them up. Or have regrets sometimes.

I regret being "too suburban" and needing my car so much, but my town isn't really set up for condensed urban living....
    I'd like an electric car, and more power to come from nuclear instead of oil or coal....
    I wish roof solar panels were more affordable and could get me off the grid....

I don't really care what you do with that. It makes you no different than Lewk with his reveling in energy consumption, or the large majority of other Americans with their Hummers and whatnot.
    Relax ffs, sometimes people make less-than-awesome decisions that are difficult to change. Relocating your entire family to a more appropriate house just to reduce your carbon footprint would be stupid and irresponsible and inconsiderate. Let's focus on prevention rather than on hating, shall we?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Whatever, you still don't have the balls to answer the question. One of the biggest impacts a person has vis a vis energy consumption is the home they live in. You live in a huge one, far larger than your family reasonably needs. And back when we originally talked about it, Loki agreed with me that it was conspicuous consumption, and that it was hypocritical. When Loki and I agree on something, it's likely got some heft to it.
    I don't recall a question to be answered, just you being a raging hypocritical, judgemental, holier than thou cock. And that's not a question, that's a fact you demonstrate by your posts over and over.

I don't really care what you do with that.
    Then why don't you shut the fuck up? Over and over you troll me with this shit, even while crying that you get picked on by Cain. I don't fuck with you about your habitual lying, so why don't you follow the golden rule and FUCK OFF.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Relax ffs, sometimes people make less-than-awesome decisions that are difficult to change. Relocating your entire family to a more appropriate house just to reduce your carbon footprint would be stupid and irresponsible and inconsiderate. Let's focus on prevention rather than on hating, shall we?
    Actually, it was a really awesome decision and I have NO regrets at all. I think anyone who has the means ought to live how they choose; its one of the freedoms I work damn hard for. And if our energy costs ever get right-sized with the cost of carbon I'll happlily pay them, just like I do with my property and income taxes, because the fact is despite the size of my home I live well below my means by design. The one regret I do have is exposing my personal life to a judgemental prick like Tear so he can troll me whenever he's not preoccupied trying to prove he's stopped lying.
    Last edited by EyeKhan; 06-21-2010 at 01:17 PM.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

He's just jealous, Chacha. Calm down.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    He's just jealous, Chacha. Calm down.
    He certainly isn't worth the wasted effort. My serious regard needs to be restricted to people with more character. Better to approach him like I do Lewk, more like a psychological curiosity worth the occasional comment, but not real argument and certainly not the effort I've wasted thus far.
    The Rules

We have two bins, one for recycled rubbish and one for land fill rubbish. This is designed to make people "feel" better about their impact on the environment while actually doing sweet fuck all.

A great deal of environmental advice is based on making people "feel" they are making a difference, in reality this is mostly bullshit.
    Such is Life...

Tampa has the same double bin system. Released a report a few years ago that pointed out that at the current recycling rate, the city is using more resources collecting and keeping the system in place then resources they are saving by recycling

He certainly isn't worth the wasted effort. My serious regard needs to be restricted to people with more character. Better to approach him like I do Lewk, more like a psychological curiosity worth the occasional comment, but not real argument and certainly not the effort I've wasted thus far.
    That would be best.

That would be best.
    I feel so much better now. You should do this kind of thing for a living.
    The Rules

So you live in a house that's unreasonably big ?
    Congratulations America

If only I could.

Actually, it was a really awesome decision and I have NO regrets at all. I think anyone who has the means ought to live how they choose
    Yeah but they oughtta choose well there's usually no point heckling people about these things, however.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    So you live in a house that's unreasonably big ?
    No. You?

If only I could.
    Probably have to go to school for that sort of thing.
    The Rules

Probably have to go to school for that sort of thing.
    I think I'd prefer a syndicated advice column.

You know, like Dear Abby. Only hotter.

Not in person or anything gross like that. I have a low tolerance for whining, you know.

I think I'd prefer a syndicated advice column.

You know, like Dear Abby. Only hotter.

Not in person or anything gross like that. I have a low tolerance for whining, you know.
    You could be like Dr. Laura only not a horrible, judgemental bitch. Is she still on the radio?
    The Rules

I wouldn't know.

I wouldn't know.
    A decade ago or so I recall finding her show entertaining, in small doses, on long distance trips. But I just could not stand how she bullied people. Worse, I could not understand why people would call her, air their dirty launder, KNOWING she was going to bully them. Weird psycho crap at play there.
    The Rules

There are plenty of people around who thrive on abuse.

If you want to know more you'll just have to subscribe to the "Just ask lolli" newsletter. I'll require sponsors. And weird people who want to hear my answers and therefore ask questions.

Sounds like a way to generate traffic onto The World Forgotten dot com!
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Uh, sure...

I'm just trying to help Low-key, see
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

You're all heart, sugar.

You're all heart, sugar.
    Sugar?
    The Rules

Sugar?
    You're honeybunch, she's sugar.

Retttib is sunshine.

I think I should probably work myself down to one name for everyone.

I probably won't, though.

You're honeybunch, she's sugar.

Retttib is sunshine.

I think I should probably work myself down to one name for everyone.

I probably won't, though.
    No, don't. People appreciate individual recognition.

BTW - you saying sugar just got you a southern accent in my head. Though I know you live in the south, you've never had one before. Remember how you always had blond hair until you posted a picture?
    The Rules

I've heard rumors I have a southern accent from you Yankee types. Most southerners would tell you I sound more like one of you, though.

I've heard rumors I have a southern accent from you Yankee types. Most southerners would tell you I sound more like one of you, though.
    That's just 'cause you got an education.
    The Rules