Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
I don't think you understood what I was saying. Urban sprawl means that while you're living inside the same city you have to drive around a lot because there's fuck-all city planning. Do you seriously think people commute from Rovaniemi to Helsinki?
Oh, I took it to mean similar to what Tear did...

Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
You have no idea. Really. Everybody wants a white picket fence and a two car garage, and some of them are willing to drive 3 hours a day to have it. Which in turns causes all of the amenities to also relocate 90 miles from the city. It's appalling. There are cities the size of visible lunar craters. And then you add in that many people drive cars the size of Panzer tanks, and have a couple of thousand square feet of house per family member. The American dream, unfortunately, is predicated on infinite resources.
...in that as an example of urban sprawl, Long Island has a much higher population density than Finland, a lot less area in which to cram actual roads, and a lot more cars on the road. The nightmare only gets worse as time wears on, more land is developed, and more people move here, and more cars are added. There is also the fact that most of Long Island lives within commuting distance of New York City. In addition, regardless of whether or not Robert Moses was or was not a racist, the existing architecture of LI's roadways, bridges, etc. are ill equipped to handle much more mass transit. The LIRR also does not serve everywhere, and has limited expansion abilities...and you'd still need a car or some other form of transportation to get to the stations.