Thread: The army: banned!

Default The army: banned!

Quote Originally Posted by By MICHELLE R. SMITH, AP
    Toy soldiers run afoul of school's weapons ban

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Christan Morales said her son just wanted to honor American troops when he wore a hat to school decorated with an American flag and small plastic Army figures.
    But the school banned the hat because it ran afoul of the district's zero-tolerance weapons policy. Why? The toy soldiers were carrying tiny guns.
    "His teacher called and said it wasn't appropriate," Morales said.
    Morales' 8-year-old son, David, had been assigned to make a hat for the day when his second-grade class would meet their pen pals from another school. She and her son came up with an idea to add patriotic decorations to a camouflage hat.
    Earlier this week, after the hat was banned, the principal at the Tiogue School in Coventry told the family that the hat would be fine if David replaced the Army men holding weapons with ones that didn't have any, according to Superintendent Kenneth R. Di Pietro.
    But, Morales said, the family had only one Army figure without a weapon (he was carrying binoculars), so David wore a plain baseball cap on the day of the pen pal meeting.
    "Nothing was being done to limit patriotism, creativity, other than find an alternative to a weapon," Di Pietro said.
    The district does not allow images of weapons or drugs on clothing. For example, a student would not be permitted to wear a shirt with a picture of a marijuana leaf on it, the superintendent said.
    The principal "wasn't denying the patriotism," he said. "That just is the wrong and unfair image of one of our finest principals."
    On Thursday, Di Pietro and the principal met with the retired commander of the Rhode Island National Guard, at the commander's request.
    Lt. Gen. Reginald Centracchio praised the school system for supporting the military in the past, including with a junior ROTC program.
    But he said he disagreed with the decision to ban the hat and hoped it offered a chance for the school to review its policies.
    "The American soldier is armed. That's why they're called the armed forces," he said. "If you're going to portray it any other way, you miss the point."
    He said he intends to give David a medal to express veterans' appreciation that he would pay tribute to their service.
    Morales said her son was inspired to honor the military after striking up a friendship last summer with a neighbor in the Army.
    Banning the hat "sent the wrong message to the kids, because it wasn't in any way to cause any harm to anyone," she said. "You're talking about Army men. This wasn't about guns."
    http://www.comcast.net/articles/news...my.Hat.Banned/

Braindeath in overpaid school admins ftl.

Support this kid and stage mock toy soldier battles!
    http://img684.imageshack.us/i/produc...iers300x3.png/

In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Nessus - that rocks!
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

RUDOLF
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

People who work in American Elementary schools are stupid as fuck. I remember they wouldn't let us make finger guns when we were playing on the playground but the 5th graders could parade around in bloody multilated corpse costumes that dripped fake blood down the chest on Halloween. I even remember a girl getting a referal in Kindergarden for tying the laces of her opposite shoes together or snapping a pencil in half.

Patriotism is silly.
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

I'll see your silly and raise you Zero Tolerance Policies are Asinine.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

I'll see your silly and point out that my kids shouldn't have to be exposed to the filthy buggers who think wearing soldiers on their hat is awesome.

Also, hats should never be allowed in school to begin with. It's fucking rude to wear one indoors.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

It was part of a school project lolli. Maybe not the brightest choice, but he's in the 2nd grade...what were you expecting f-ing Picasso?

Also...exposed? He's not the T-Virus for fucks sake.

Quite often in this fucked up modern world we live in what people think matters, doesn't.

The hat and the ensuing bullshitfest are perfect examples of how people have got no fucking clue what really matters.

I have cold beer and a warm woman and I intend to enjoy both - now that fucking matters!
    Such is Life...

LOL

Can't argue with that termite...except for the warm woman part.

The rules here, at least, are pretty specific on that sort of thing not being allowed. I don't have a problem with it at all.

They didn't even suspend or punish the kid. He just wasn't allowed to wear his hat.

The mother really should be more aware of school rules.

I agree, the rules are pretty specific..and fucking stupid.

Army Men are threatening?

Army men are also stupid.

Threatening, not really. But it's really better not to leave it up to an individual to decide what depictions of weaponry are acceptable. That makes enforcement far too likely to be unevenly applied.

And once again, the kid wasn't even punished for it.

I agree, leaving it up to the individual would be inappropriate, as enforcement would be shaky, but I was not arguing that, it's the rule itself that is absurd in it's extreme nature.

If it's not threatening, then it's not a threat. Putting a 1 inch plastic toy under a weapon (and weapon depiction....hahahahahahaha) ban shows that it is not about safety, but politics: Guns are evil.

Not evil, but other things they are not include toys for children, playthings, fun or trivial.

However, i actually dont have much of a problem with kids playing with soldiers or whatever. Its not like you can stop them. Given 3 minutes alone in an empty room, two kids will make their hands into a gun shape and pretend to shoot each other and then fight over who was cheating.
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Knux897 View Post
    People who work in American Elementary schools are stupid as fuck. I remember they wouldn't let us make finger guns when we were playing on the playground but the 5th graders could parade around in bloody multilated corpse costumes that dripped fake blood down the chest on Halloween. I even remember a girl getting a referal in Kindergarden for tying the laces of her opposite shoes together or snapping a pencil in half.
    It does not look stupid to me.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

Thats funny, because loads of stupid things dont look stupid to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawnie View Post
    Not evil, but other things they are not include toys for children, playthings, fun or trivial.

However, i actually dont have much of a problem with kids playing with soldiers or whatever. Its not like you can stop them. Given 3 minutes alone in an empty room, two kids will make their hands into a gun shape and pretend to shoot each other and then fight over who was cheating.
    Han shot first.