Thread: About the search function...

Default About the search function...

Can we no longer "show results as posts"? I tried a couple of days ago to find something and all it returned were entire threads. On the old forum there used to be a function to show each post that contained your search.
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

I was wondering about this too.

You can still select the "show posts" option under single content type (why do we have the other tab btw?)
    but the results come back as thread titles, that when clicked take you to the post it was referring to.

The old way of showing the post text as a result was better.

Just went into the admin settings to see if I could find anything, but it looks like the main difference here is that the search we're used to would have a preview of the post viewable as a snippet in the search results. Whereas this version makes the snippet viewable, but you have to hover your mouse over the thread title when go through the list of posts.

This strikes me as a stupid way to do things, but can't see a setting that lets me toggle between. Wraith, any ideas? I suspect this may just be how all vBulletin search UI is designed now.

There doesn't appear to be a setting for this. I could edit the html code directly to make it work. Maybe in a bit.

I can't find the last thread I created on the search function *ironically, the search function proved incapable of finding any posts I've made with the term "search" in them* so I'm bumping this one, just to remind you Wraith that the problem I complained about last time has not been fixed.

When I get a multi-page return for a search I've made, I can only access the first page of the results. Attempts to move to any other page just refresh that first page of results.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

You didn't create a thread, you posted about it in the suggestion thread, a few days after I posted about it in the upgrade thread.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

remove the "pp=" part from the url, so that the end of the url looks like this:

http://www.theworldforgotten.com/sea...=102307&page=2
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

or just make it so there's an "&" after "pp=". i believe that's the cause of the bug? the "pp=" determines how many hits to display per page.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I have this fixed on the test forum. I'll bring it forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    You didn't create a thread, you posted about it in the suggestion thread, a few days after I posted about it in the upgrade thread.
    Either way, when I put "search" into the search function, it gave me a "could not find any matches" return.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

then yeah, that could be a problem. but I just did a general search and a title search and they both brought back results
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Don't send an oliphant to do a librarian's job!
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.