Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moon

Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    So, you people have a religious opposition to spoiler tags?
    Nobody else was using them, so I thought it was ok... (sorry...)
    Spoiler:
    When I first discussed this movie in a different thread, I used them.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Angel_Mapper View Post
    That's what I'm saying. If they're growing the clones on the moon in that facility, they don't need hundreds in storage, just however old the clone needs to be / the number of years it needs to be used * whatever redundancy you want. Hatch a clone, plant a new one in the now empty container. It looked like there were hundreds of clones in storage which is inefficient and increases maintenance requirements and potential for failures.
    Did we ever see a storage area for all that food Sam consumes over the course of his three year stay there?
    . . .

Spin it let's begin it. Angel_Mapper's Avatar
    Well my main problem was that you obviously can't let him see the clone storage area, so how does maintenance get performed on it? Just kinda bugged me is all.
    Angel Mapper - Prometheus

To have said goodbye to things!

Spoiler:
    The movie's a vehicle to examine identity, self determination, freedom, etc in a way that can't be done in ordinary circumstances. The scenario is obviously not workable, however. The technology to clone a fully grown human being with memories intact? You could make the whole base automated with the technology needed to do that. And taking into account the maintenance in the storage facility - its either built so good its maintenance free OR the maintenance is automated. Now, either case undermines the entire reason to have a human or clone at the base at all. Why isn't the whole base built that good? Why isn't everything maintained automatically? But you shouldn't look that deeply at the story - maintenance is not what its about. Yes, the writer should have come up with a different setting to discuss whatever he's discussing, but this is what you have. Pay attention to the concepts the writer was trying to explore.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Perhaps the reason they used clones is that the exposure to radiation on the moon would eventually kill any human living there for an extended time.

The symptoms exhibited by the degraded clone looked remarkably similar to the symptoms of exposure to elevated radiation levels.

So rather than deliberately put an actual human in a fatal situation, instead you simply use clones and negate the moral obligations required for dealing with 'actual' human employees.
    Such is Life...

Spin it let's begin it. Angel_Mapper's Avatar
    I'm a bit unhinged from humanity so I'm unable to analyze films that way. I don't understand people.
    Angel Mapper - Prometheus

To have said goodbye to things!

http://gavinrothery.posterous.com/
    blog run by someone heavily involved in the film

http://www.reddit.com/r/reddit.com/c...e_scifi_movie/
    reddit thread where he answers a bunch of questions