Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Optimized Site?

Default Mobile Optimized Site?

I was browsing the forums on my Android phone and began to wonder if we should have a mobile-optimized theme.

It would work on iPhone, Android and probably BlackBerry. Anyone have any thoughts?

Wraith, I'd be willing to try to install this, but you have the login credentials: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=228986

I'd try it on my phone - I often get bored while sitting at gymnastics with my daughter.

(and since I can't get fucking IRC to work on the stupid piece of garbage...)
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I'd be willing to try to install this
    Site goes down in 3, 2, 1....

I'd also like that .

Quote Originally Posted by Lor View Post
    I'd also like that .
    I added it a bit before your post

Oh la la.

For those who don't notice, there is now a theme in the theme box on the lower left called TWF mobile. It's very minimal and should be easily accessible via iPhone, Android, Palm and Blackberry. Thank you Wraith! Didn't realize we were doing upgrades too...

Two very small problems...

1. The "forum" link at the top of the page takes you to the blog, not the forum

2. I can't revert back to the regular style!! is there an option somewhere??!?!

Okay, problem 2 was pretty easily solved by logging out, sorry
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Whatever update this involved broke some features of the reply/quote/report icons in regards to transparency, size, formatting, etc. in Classic Blue...

And there is this stupid white line separating posts and signatures now, in addition to a few other CSS errors. URL rewrite also appears to be non-existent now. I think when you installed TWF Mobile it made changes to the Default style which then propagated to the other styles based off Default...
    . . .

I think some graphics are fraked in Dark Vision too, but I haven't messed around with logging in and out and so on
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    Whatever update this involved broke some features of the reply/quote/report icons in regards to transparency, size, formatting, etc. in Classic Blue...

And there is this stupid white line separating posts and signatures now, in addition to a few other CSS errors. URL rewrite also appears to be non-existent now. I think when you installed TWF Mobile it made changes to the Default style which then propagated to the other styles based off Default...
    No other styles are based on Default.

There are probably some style issues coming from the upgrade. Some of the way things work have changed. I'll kill them as I spot them.

Not to be a downer but I don't like the mobile theme and won't be using it. Its a lot more basic than I expected, more designed for older, low-end phones, certainly not like any iphone etc optimised sites I've seen.

I'll continue to use standard even on my phone.

I'm going to see if I can tinker with the CSS to make it more palatable. I love the simplicity, but think it needs more of a distinction between each post to be viable on a small screen.

Holy shit, this is not intuitive at all. Wraith, how did you learn to figure out this stuff? I know how to format a CSS stylesheet, but this is way beyond that with all sorts of proprietary names for different fields. Never thought it would be so hard to figure out how to make each mobile post alternate background colors slightly or even just have a line between each post...

I thought it was the postbit field, but none of the changes I make seem to stick.

I dunno bout alternating colours but surely you can set a thin lower border for the oldwindowbg2 class?

Doesn't seem that is even in the stylesheet for this mobile theme...

Would just like to give a shoutout to Wraith for making a simple but big improvement in the mobile theme: adding a line between each post. I think this makes it a lot more readable:

So point your iPhones, Blackberry's, PalmPre's and Android's to http://www.theworldforgotten.com/forum.php, select TWF mobile and have a blast!

I seem to be in a charitable mood this weekend. Are there any other improvements that are desired on the mobile theme? Or any other, for that matter?

Is there any way to put a very thin semi-transparent grey line around text in the quote tag on the mobile theme?

At the moment, it italicizes quoted text which is readable, but not quite as much as if there was some sort of small separator that didn't conflict with the black line separating posts.

I can't actually get my phone to switch the theme to the mobile one. I can't decide if that is because I am defective, my stupid piece of shit phone is defective, or the theme is defective.

What kind of phone?

Usually it takes a bit of load time, but once I went to the lower-left dialog box and selected the mobile theme it cookies my mobile browser and always comes back to it.

It's a Samsung blackjack.

I can select it, but it doesn't actually do anything after that. Since I'm working my way up to deciding what to replace it with it may be a nonissue soon, anyway - but it annoyed me a lot.

I just got my Droid today, so I'll probably be doing things in this theme too soon. That should help motivate me to actually get things done. I know I still owe you a quote box. Sorry about slowness on this front.

I'm actually trying downloading a different browser on it right now to see if it is just the pissy baby IE for windows mobile that is the problem, if that doesn't work I'll do that next, Dread.

It works on my (android) phone using opera mini, but is there any way to see what part of a post is a quote? And what posts are unread and what posts are not? I switched back to the dark vision theme for now, lets see how that works on my phone.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

I think it needs a lot.

And I got some message about a security certificate when I tried to mark all posts read. Although since I can't see how it differentiates between read and unread that probably doesn't matter.

And is there any way to make it jump to the first unread post or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    It works on my (android) phone using opera mini, but is there any way to see what part of a post is a quote?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I just got my Droid today, so I'll probably be doing things in this theme too soon. That should help motivate me to actually get things done. I know I still owe you a quote box. Sorry about slowness on this front.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    I think it needs a lot.

And I got some message about a security certificate when I tried to mark all posts read. Although since I can't see how it differentiates between read and unread that probably doesn't matter.

And is there any way to make it jump to the first unread post or something?
    I suspect this has more to do with that crazy Blackjack browser...what sites do tend to load well with your phone? Anyone try this on a blackberry?