Thread: A drug is here, what should we do??!

Default A drug is here, what should we do??!

Algerian scientists have engineered a highly addictive hallucinogenic drug that has the effect of severely impairing the user's good judgement and his impulse-control, making some users more likely to engage in risk-taking behaviour, do inappropriate things, or even commit crimes. The drug is very easy to produce and to distribute, and it's increasing in popularity in YOUR country, the very progressive and conveniently uncharacterised Ficland.

Your president/benevolent dictator has been spending a lot of his time on an online forum where posters have convinced him that this drug--indeed, all drugs--should be legal in your country. Freedom of choice. Personal responsibility. Like, seriously, why is this question even up for discussion??!

You are his most trusted advisors. Do you think this is a straightforward question with a simple answer?

How should you approach this drug and the matter of its legalisation? What problems may arise that may complicate or fuck up life for your citizens? What would be the most correct thing to do about this drug??
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Nuke from orbit. With extreme prejudice.

Only way to be sure.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

All evidence to the contrary, I'm not actually trying to mock o to satirise Lewk and Cain

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    All evidence to the contrary, I'm not actually trying to mock o to satirise Lewk and Cain
    Not?

Damnation!
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Oddly enough, this popped up in the "giving up oil" thread

Legalise it, get it out in the open. It's easy to produce, so it will be if it's popular. Inform the public of the danger of the drug. Legalising I think has the effect of a short term spike in usage after which it returns to previous, or even lower levels now you have taken away the criminal element. Criminal activity, although prosecuted, will always be more lucrative and tempting.

You can deal with visible problems much easier than hidden ones.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

How do we approach the problem of crimes committed under the influence of this drug?

What do you mean by highly addictive? In my country, many drugs have been characterized as highly addictive but turned out not to be for many people. Like extacy for example. And even pot, if you can believe it. But coke and heroin were explained to me that do it once and you're hooked until you die from overdose. How addictive is this? I think that's key for any policy.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Oddly enough, this popped up in the "giving up oil" thread
    I have to say, I'm not sure how to use that info (besides the finding that drug-usage doesn't seem to have increased after legalisation!), because they don't distinguish much between different kinds of drugs!

It's interesting that dealing remains a crime!

Should we distinguish between possession and dealing?? In what ways, and why??

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    Legalise it, get it out in the open. It's easy to produce, so it will be if it's popular. Inform the public of the danger of the drug. Legalising I think has the effect of a short term spike in usage after which it returns to previous, or even lower levels now you have taken away the criminal element. Criminal activity, although prosecuted, will always be more lucrative and tempting.

To what extent and in which ways do you think the govt. should be involved in this drug, if at all?

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    What do you mean by highly addictive? In my country, many drugs have been characterized as highly addictive but turned out not to be for many people. Like extacy for example. And even pot, if you can believe it. But coke and heroin were explained to me that do it once and you're hooked until you die from overdose. How addictive is this? I think that's key for any policy.
    Hmmm, how do you mean key?

For the sake of discussion, we can have one scenario where the drug is as addictive--and in similar ways--as coke or heroin, and another scenario where it's more tied to psychological and behavioral factors.

I take it you believe the same should apply to handguns?
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I take it you believe the same should apply to handguns?
    Yes, I also think handguns should be legal and regulated to about the same extend as owning a car is regulated.
    To what extent and in which ways do you think the govt. should be involved in this drug, if at all?
    Information about the drug. And depending on health issues or addiction issues making the means available to treat users seeking help like counseling or fighting an addiction.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Information about the drug. And depending on health issues or addiction issues making the means available to treat users seeking help like counseling or fighting an addiction.
    What about quality-control, safety-measures, and the like?

What would make a person take such a drug, apart from its addictive properties?

Should selling the drug be illegal (as opposed to possessing it)?

I don't know. I stopped caring just a minute ago

Probably because of this massive splitting headache and a ton of work screaming in my ear and it being 150 million degrees.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Algerian scientists have engineered a highly addictive hallucinogenic drug that has the effect of severely impairing the user's good judgement and his impulse-control, making some users more likely to engage in risk-taking behaviour, do inappropriate things, or even commit crimes. The drug is very easy to produce and to distribute, and it's increasing in popularity in YOUR country, the very progressive and conveniently uncharacterised Ficland.

Your president/benevolent dictator has been spending a lot of his time on an online forum where posters have convinced him that this drug--indeed, all drugs--should be legal in your country. Freedom of choice. Personal responsibility. Like, seriously, why is this question even up for discussion??!

You are his most trusted advisors. Do you think this is a straightforward question with a simple answer?

How should you approach this drug and the matter of its legalisation? What problems may arise that may complicate or fuck up life for your citizens? What would be the most correct thing to do about this drug??

Sounds like meth. Not sure who "invented" that, but science was involved. Since you didn't say "a reputable pharmaceutical company in Algeria" engineered this, and followed channels like R & D, or studies to get FDA approval for marketing.....

I'd say it falls under the same kind of contraband creation as Methamphetamine: Illegal.
    Last edited by GGT; 07-08-2010 at 05:56 PM. Reason: oops

I was indeed inspired by meth, so another question might be, why should meth be illegal in Ficland??