View Poll Results: If you see a drink driver, should you report it?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's right to call and report it/I would do so

14 87.50%
  • Don't care/Wouldn't bother

0 0%
  • Its wrong to report it/Mind Your Own Business

0 0%
  • Littlefuzzy

2 12.50%

Thread: Would you report this?

Default Would you report this?

I was just doing some midnight shopping for some dinner in our 24hr Tesco's when a very drunk guy came staggering over to Amanda and I asking us for something before realising neither of us were in Tesco's uniform, were picking out food carrying a shopping basket and generally don't work there. Laughed it off when the guy hobbled further away.

However was shocked later when I got to my car to see that guy get into the drivers side of his car and start swerving away across the car park.

I took a note of the licence plate number, parked back up and called 999 and reported him to the Police. No idea if the Police would have ever caught him though because he drove off before anyone got there (if anyone was going to bother).

What would you do in this situation?

Seems like a perfectly justifiable thing to do.

I've had the experience of being hit by a drunk driver before, I'd really rather not repeat it.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Don't know what "parked back up" means, but it appears you did the minimum of what a decent human should have done.

I think that was the right thing to do, and I hope it was of some use If I notice something like that then I hope I remember to call the police as well
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

You made the right call, Rand, I hope you weren't scared/worried too much.

Spin it let's begin it. Angel_Mapper's Avatar
    Of course I would have. What if he had killed someone?
    Angel Mapper - Prometheus

To have said goodbye to things!

Indeed, right call. Even if you had followed him down the road on the phone with the cops, would have been the right call. For his own safety, as well as others.

Good call.

And it "Amanda and me." Object of the preposition.

And it's.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    And it's.
    Oh, how cute.

Icky wants to play grammar Nazi.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Ness already had dibs on regular Nazi.

I can't think of a reason not to call the police. You may have prevented death or at the least expensive damage repairs to public or private property or injury that results in expensive hospital bills. Even if you were a selfish git, you could have called to prevent a car crash that might have extended your trip home by an incovient amount of time

a) General Chat

2) How many drinks did you have before writing that poll
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

You did the right thing. The guys was a clear danger to others. He's lucky you didn't shoot him in self-defense.
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

Got a call back from the Police today thanking me for reporting it, she said that the Police searched the area but never caught the guy.

I'm (pleasantly) surprised how unanimous people view this.

So much for all your cameras, huh.

Been in that spot once, actually followed the driver through town (weaving in the street) at a safe distance while my son talked to the dispatcher. The driver eventually parked his car, in front of a house, and apparently the police "knew who he was".

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    a) General Chat

a; agreed

2. you plan to call the police ?
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    a) General Chat

Indeed it is the clumsiest post Rand has made since his drunken uni student days.
    Such is Life...

Though in many situations i am of the 'mind yer own' mindset, drink drivers should be reported without question.

A more difficult dilemma would perhaps be one which is being hotly debated at the moment in a car forum i'm a member of;

Would you also report the drunk if he got into his car, reclined the seat and went straight to sleep?

The offence (in the uk at least), is drunk in charge of a motor vehicle, which carries the same penalties as drink driving. If you are in a parked car with engine off and keys in your pocket, you are in charge of that vehicle and will be prosecuted if over the limit.

The police will always argue that tho the drunk's intention may be to sleep off the booze and not drive, drunk people do make poor decisions and may still drive off whilst over the limit at any point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post

Would you also report the drunk if he got into his car, reclined the seat and went straight to sleep?

The offence (in the uk at least), is drunk in charge of a motor vehicle, which carries the same penalties as drink driving. If you are in a parked car with engine off and keys in your pocket, you are in charge of that vehicle and will be prosecuted if over the limit.
    No I wouldn't report that, the law may see the guy sleeping it off in his car as a criminal but I don't.

Does that particular law differentiate between seats - if the person is in the back seat or passenger seat is he/she still in charge of the motor vehicle?
    The police will always argue that tho the drunk's intention may be to sleep off the booze and not drive, drunk people do make poor decisions and may still drive off whilst over the limit at any point.
    I don't like the premise here, you are essentially prosecuting someone for a crime they "may" commit - minority report?
    Such is Life...

Quote Originally Posted by termite View Post
    Indeed it is the clumsiest post Rand has made since his drunken uni student days.
    ???

I was stone cold sober
    Quote Originally Posted by termite View Post
    No I wouldn't report that, the law may see the guy sleeping it off in his car as a criminal but I don't.

Does that particular law differentiate between seats - if the person is in the back seat or passenger seat is he/she still in charge of the motor vehicle?
    I think so. I think you're ok in the back seat, but in trouble if you're in the drivers seat. I have a problem with that conviction, if you're genuinely not driving what's the problem? A car can be a warm place to sleep. Having an alcohol coviction can affect you for years too. I hire drivers and can't hire people with a drink driving conviction for 5 years afterwards even if the ban was lifted 4+ years ago. Anyone who gets a conviction would pretty much automatically get fired. Good if it's for genuine drink driving, but pretty shitty for drunk sleeping.

Over here it's called Drunk Driving. Short for Drunken. This Drink Driving sounds strange. I drink while I drive, it's perfectly legal, the car even has a cup holder for my drink. Water, Diet Coke.

Also, over here, there's nothing wrong (let alone illegal) about popping the seat back into sleep mode, as long as we're parked in a legal parking zone. It's encouraged on the highway, we have deep shoulders just for that purpose. Better than driving drowsy. Or maybe you Brits would call that drow driving.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I was just doing some midnight shopping for some dinner in our 24hr Tesco's when a very drunk guy came staggering over to Amanda and I asking us for something before realising neither of us were in Tesco's uniform, were picking out food carrying a shopping basket and generally don't work there. Laughed it off when the guy hobbled further away.

However was shocked later when I got to my car to see that guy get into the drivers side of his car and start swerving away across the car park.

I took a note of the licence plate number, parked back up and called 999 and reported him to the Police. No idea if the Police would have ever caught him though because he drove off before anyone got there (if anyone was going to bother).

What would you do in this situation?
    I would have reported it. I think its pretty cut and dry. I wish Cain wasn't on holiday - it would be interesting to get his perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Over here it's called Drunk Driving. Short for Drunken. This Drink Driving sounds strange. I drink while I drive, it's perfectly legal, the car even has a cup holder for my drink. Water, Diet Coke.
    In certain states you can get a beer at a fast food drive up window. Nevada? Kinda funny if there's no passenger in the car, eh?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)