Thread: I'm going to be a grandpa'

Default I'm going to be a grandpa'

Yup, you heard right. My genetic line will continue for at least one more generation. My oldest daughter just told me she today that she is 9 weeks pregnant, which puts her due sometime in Feb. by my calculations. My wife is already bugging me to move back to Denver so we can be closer the baby. I would like to be closer myself, but work is here right now, so...
    I'll keep you posted when I can. But since my sister-in-law screwed up my computer, I am forced to use the library computer. Time is a premium, more so now than usual, due to work, but I will make time when I can to visit and share. Once I get my machine fixed/replaced, my visits will be a little more regular.
    The worst job in the world is better than being broke and homeless

Congrats, Gramps!

Jesus, I don't think I knew you had a daughter. Congrats! Is your daughter married or will you being there be extra important for her? It's certainly a lot of work, you know that better than she does.

Congrats old man

Congratulations

I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Exciting, I will keep the congratulations for after the birth
    Congratulations America

Wow, that's exciting. I had no idea you were old enough to have reproducing progeny!

Just an FYI: almost everybody I know waits until after the first trimester to announce. But I suppose the internets are anonymous.

That's mainly to avoid well-meaning congratulations to the happy mama if she has a first trimester miscarriage.

Not very likely to happen in this situation.

(well-meaning congratulations, anyone can have a first trimester miscarriage)
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

I appreciate all the good words. But it seems I my excitement was, as some alluded to here, premature. My daughter's first ultra-sound revealed what the doctors first believed to be spinal-bifida. They later determined it was anencephaly. In short, the fetus wasn't forming a brain. On medical advice the pregnancy was terminated last Thursday. My daughter and son-in-law are emotionally wrecked, obviously, but otherwise doing well and remaining hopeful for the future. They are both opposed to abortion, and the decision was very difficult for them, even under the circumstances. My wife and I went to Denver to be there for them. Mrs. Rummy missed a step at their home and severely sprained her ankle, possibly tearing some ligaments. She just has to steal the limelight. Thanks again for all your well wishes, and sorry for bummng you out.

Sorry to hear that. Best of wishes to both of them.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Lots of strength to all of you.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Sorry to hear that rummy.

So sorry to hear the news.

Quote Originally Posted by rumrunner View Post
    I appreciate all the good words. But it seems I my excitement was, as some alluded to here, premature. My daughter's first ultra-sound revealed what the doctors first believed to be spinal-bifida. They later determined it was anencephaly. In short, the fetus wasn't forming a brain. On medical advice the pregnancy was terminated last Thursday. My daughter and son-in-law are emotionally wrecked, obviously, but otherwise doing well and remaining hopeful for the future. They are both opposed to abortion, and the decision was very difficult for them, even under the circumstances. My wife and I went to Denver to be there for them. Mrs. Rummy missed a step at their home and severely sprained her ankle, possibly tearing some ligaments. She just has to steal the limelight. Thanks again for all your well wishes, and sorry for bummng you out.
    This happened to a family member of mine a few years ago. I think it haunted them for a while, until they successfully had a kid and have basically forgotten that the whole horrible thing had to happen.

Despite their views on abortion, I think someday they will think about it for maybe a second on rare occasions before their mind gets distracted by their existing kids and family.

Or they just stop talking about it over time. But that doesn't mean it's forgotten. I think it's a myth that living children cancel out the memory of ended pregnancies, spontaneous or surgical, anomalies or not. I still think about a miscarriage from 17 years ago, especially on my kids' birthdays. It was a very sad time.

rummy, I hope your daughter is doing okay.....

Sorry to hear it, lots of strength to you and your family
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Everyone is doing well, they're both strong kids. There is still grieving to be done, but life goes on (for now).