Thread: Got a very weird voicemail today...

Default Got a very weird voicemail today...

My phone rang, but was from a with held number, so I didn't answer. The guy left me a voicemail, saying 'Hello Mark' (my first name), his name was Charles, and he dealt with PR for Bethesda.

Now I'm thinking Bethesda as in the Bethesda that made Fallout 3?

Anyway, his message then said how he understood that I was looking for some footage for DC Click? (could be wrong, that's what it sounds like.) and that if I'm looking for some he can help me get it for the show.

I have absolutely no idea what he's on about. Anyone got any ideas? He left a phone number which is 0207. Do Bethesda have offices in uk?

Confusion. I could call him back, but wanna figure out if this is some kind of scam etc
    How do you expect to run with the wolves at night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

- Omar Little

Default Re: Got a very weird voicemail today...

Quote Originally Posted by DecoyMilk
    He left a phone number which is 0207. Do Bethesda have offices in uk?
    It seems so, and it would be London:

http://www.zenimax.com/contact.htm

I wouldn't call him back. If it's important, he'll phone you again.

Than again, DC Click footage...

If it's that important he'll call back. A general rule i have when it comes to unknown callers on my mobile is let them leave a message and then:

- Phone them back if it's something really important (eg. Car Insurance).
    or
    - Let them call me back if i don't know who it is. 9 times out of 10 they won't!

Bethesda, Maryland, where Bethesda the company is located, is very close to Washington DC. I would ignore it, as if its important they'll call the actual guy back if it was wrong number. I've had this happen with email though, where their employee's email address was only different from mine by the inclusion of a . between the first and last name, and I kept getting company emails for a while even after I informed them of the error. They even sent pictures from a company outing once so I got to see what they all looked like...
    . . .

The guy was English though, and the phone number was 0207, which is London. Very weird. I might call tomorrow out of sheer curiosity!
    How do you expect to run with the wolves at night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

- Omar Little

Quote Originally Posted by DecoyMilk
    The guy was English though, and the phone number was 0207, which is London. Very weird. I might call tomorrow out of sheer curiosity!
    Large corporations do have global presences. A few of the companies we've dealt with at my office have requested we have animations ready for their conferences in European countries. This could be a similar instance, where a person in the UK is going to do a presentation with other members of Bethesda, but the presentation is here in the US.
    . . .

May I point out that phone numbers say very little these days ? One of the lines of my house in Istanbul has a number that starts with +31 20 (and for those who don't know where that is; it's the country code for The Netherlands and area code for Amsterdam)
    Congratulations America