Page 12 of 75 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: What movie did you see today?

Black Swan: sounds like a visually satisfying but poorly made film. Just read the New Yorker review last week (short version:http://www.newyorker.com/arts/review...swan_aronofsky)

Just saw Fred Claus last night. Like so many Vince Vaughn movies, moderately entertaining but forgettable. One great scene though: "siblings anonymous" meeting, where they had real brothers of famous people whining about their relations: Bill Clinton's brother, Sylvester Stallone's brother, Alec Baldwin's brother (wait, that's a burden? Besides, being in The Usual Suspects automatically cancels out anything good that Alec did). Anyway, very clever scene in an otherwise staight up the middle average movie.

RE the bs reviews, npr's film critic called it great performances in a poorly directed film, or some such. Yahoo's movie review average shows A- however which is exceptional.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Not today, but I saw the descent (crap), beavis and butthead do america (always fun ), tropic thunder (pretty cool ) and then I went to see Tron in the avant premiere Pretty awesome, great music and effects too. Planning to watch Adaptation tonight. Should be fun, and I read a bit in the book that nicholas cage is reading in that film (Story).
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Juno

Lovely little movie
    Fabulous characters. All entirely believable; flawed, every day, ordinary people. All interesting.
    Plot was touching and unpredictable.
    Script was zingy and fresh and funny.

Gets an 8.5/10 from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

I think 10 might be too much for our American readers (he's using both hands, for those at home!), so let's round that down to 4/5.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    I think 10 might be too much for our American readers (he's using both hands, for those at home!), so let's round that down to 4/5.
    There's even floating point arithmetic involved!
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

I'z never been dumbed down before.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

This is England!

Disturbing.
    Such is Life...

Top it up with The Last King of Scotland
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

I saw that a while ago, good movie, at least there were no 10 yearolds screaming "FUCK OFF YOU PAKI CUNT!". That kid was creepy...
    Such is Life...

Inception. Thank god I forced myself to pay attention. I like a movie that rewards its viewers for playing along, what I got was a deep, emotional, complex and enjoyable experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Juno

Lovely little movie
    Fabulous characters. All entirely believable; flawed, every day, ordinary people. All interesting.

Gets an 8.5/10 from me.
    First place I saw Michael Cera (who looks a lot like Jesse Eisenberg, I think). I didn't actually see Superbad until a couple of years later.

And Ellen Page pushing Cisco!

Great film.

Quote Originally Posted by NGS View Post
    Inception. Thank god I forced myself to pay attention. I like a movie that rewards its viewers for playing along, what I got was a deep, emotional, complex and enjoyable experience.
    I liked this quite a lot. Visually cool. The combat was fun. And they communicated a pretty convoluted concept pretty effectively.
    Spoiler:
    So, in the end, was the top about to tumble over or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Juno

Lovely little movie

Gets an 8.5/10 from me.
    I liked it.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar
    Tron: Legacy

Watching it is kind of like being assaulted by both the picture and the sound.
    I enjoy blank walls.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Spoiler:
    So, in the end, was the top about to tumble over or not?
    at that point?
    Spoiler:

He doesn't care

Hmmmm. Got it.

Also, saw Gulliver's Travels. It sucked.

Saw Despicable Me. It was good.
    The Rules

Funny that Ellen Page was in Inception and Juno. She's growing up before our very eyes!

Did you see her in that roller derby movie? Can't recall the name off the top, but it was pretty good. I think Drew Barrymore directed it and they filmed it in Detroit, iirc.
    The Rules

You should watch Hard Candy.

Only one she's been in that I have seen, although someone whose taste I trust said I would like Whip It, so I'll see that one one of these days.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    You should watch Hard Candy.

Only one she's been in that I have seen, although someone whose taste I trust said I would like Whip It, so I'll see that one one of these days.
    Saw Hard Candy. That was the first film I saw her, from way back, and until you mentioned it I didn't realize it was the same actor. Freaky movie...
    The Rules

Never heard of either of em, Khan.

Just watched East of Eden. James Dean. Classic.

I'm loving these 3 months of Netflix for Xmas. I've got a friend who's huge into films, and he's recommending plenty of em to me for the last year. Now I'm finally getting a chance to see a lot of them.

Just saw Tron Legacy. Visually stunning. The youthful Jeff Bridges thing was creepy in an indefinable way. They need to keep working on that. Looked up the origional and get this - very Disney - its not available on Netflix, hardy har har.
    The Rules

I saw Akira today. I love the style, but can't seem to place my finger on what exactly I didn't like.
    Your search had no results.

Quote Originally Posted by Dattu View Post
    I saw Akira today. I love the style, but can't seem to place my finger on what exactly I didn't like.
    Akira.

Probably my fave of the few nipponese anime type movies I've seen. Some awesome scenes in it.

Stalingrad...very depressing.

The Kids are All Right

Very nice! 4/5 stars. But the Who song wasn't in the soundtrack

Still need to see The Kids are All Right. No longer in the cinemas though.

~

Saw The Good Shepherd Last night, directed by Robert De Nero and Starring him, Matt Damon, Angelina Jolie, William Hurt and others.

Not my kind of movie really, too much spy double-speak (The Black Crow Flies at Night etc )

Added to that, this movie was too slow, the characters weren't nearly developed enough for you to care about them, and the plot was too jumpy around in time.

5.5/10

Watched The Patriot yesterday. Was a pretty good movie actually

Except for Mel Gibson. God but I'm sick of that guy and his movies.