Page 13 of 75 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: What movie did you see today?

Quote Originally Posted by Supermarioman View Post
    Tron: Legacy

Watching it is kind of like being assaulted by both the picture and the sound.
    Yeah, but in a good way

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Just saw Tron Legacy. Visually stunning. The youthful Jeff Bridges thing was creepy in an indefinable way. They need to keep working on that. Looked up the origional and get this - very Disney - its not available on Netflix, hardy har har.
    His cheeks didn't move properly, maybe that was it?

Also saw Mr. Nobody (excellent!!! see it!), Harry potter (meh), some crazy asian flick about kung fu and football that was hilariously crappy.

Mr. Nobody is really good!
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    Except for Mel Gibson. God but I'm sick of that guy and his movies.
    So The Patriot was good except for Mel Gibson...

Mel Gibson may well be a complete knob jockey but this does not mean everything he has done is crap.

Ironically I watched Apocalypto for the first time the other day and was pleasantly surprised - well worth watching.
    Such is Life...

Oh, and vertigo. Very good!

Toy Story 3. So damn good, equally sad.

Quote Originally Posted by termite View Post
    So The Patriot was good except for Mel Gibson...

Mel Gibson may well be a complete knob jockey but this does not mean everything he has done is crap.

Ironically I watched Apocalypto for the first time the other day and was pleasantly surprised - well worth watching.
    Unfortunately he's got the clout to frequently cast himself in cult of personality roles. When he does so, it distorts the films because he insists on noble, self-glorifying roles. The guy's a fracking egomaniac.

That doesn't mean everything he's associated with is bad. But he also has a sick fascination with torture, doesn't he? Did we really need the blood-soaked Passion?

Grown Ups. Been a while since I remember watching an Adam Sandler movie that didn't suck (I will never forget Punch Drunk Love).

Jokes were natural, the main characters were witty and felt real. Storyline was shallow and predictable and the support characters were borderline stupid/offensive. Luckily the movie didn't to strongly on them. A lot of the movie reminded me of summer camps and middle school. Except for the arrow roulette, we never had the balls to move past lawn darts.

Wow, you are the only person I have ever heard say that movie didn't suck sweaty balls.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Its exactly what I wanted to expect from an Adam Sandler movie: funny.

He went back to what what his other movies like Waterboy and Happy Gilmore good movies, but to be clear, Grown Ups wasn't as good as them, to many comedians competing to be remembered over the others.
    Didn't try any of the over the top or stupid deep story shit like Zohen or Punch Drunk. Limited the toilet humor and kept most of it in the realm of something you could easily suspect a group of high school or middle school kids taking part in.

It was tied around some sort of feel good family story, but it was light enough that I easily ignored it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Grown Ups. Been a while since I remember watching an Adam Sandler movie that didn't suck (I will never forget Punch Drunk Love).
    Never saw that one.

Jokes were natural, the main characters were witty and felt real. Storyline was shallow and predictable and the support characters were borderline stupid/offensive. Luckily the movie didn't to strongly on them. A lot of the movie reminded me of summer camps and middle school. Except for the arrow roulette, we never had the balls to move past lawn darts.
    I struggle mightily with Adam Sandler movies. His stoned character isn't terribly appealing. The jokes are often bathroom humor. And yes, the plots and characters are utterly predictable and stereotyped.

Sandler does much better in movies where he isn't the centerpiece, but instead he plays a role that conceivably could have been played by somebody else. Wedding Singer and Funny People come to mind (the latter somewhat better, but I always loved all the 80s music gags in Singer). Still fairly predictable movies and not deserving of a high rating, but better than most other Sandler movies.

I saw The Book of Eli last night. Quick Review: Too preachy. Not a very plausible premise
    Spoiler:
    Nuclear war leads Christians to burn all the bibles? Even if it was a catastrohpic Islam vs. Christianity war that even the most ignorant dink could blame on religous extremism, I would expect the exact opposite in the aftermath with a collapsed civilization as depicted in the film. And I'm not buying the evil dude needing the bible to use it to mind-bend the masses to his will. Any learned would-be dictator could make it up as he went along... :yawn:
    Fun violence, good performances and enjoyable post-apocalyptic world. I guess you could sum it up as a not-as-realistic-The-Road-with-happyish-ending. I gave it 3/5 stars after thoroughly putting my religion bias aside. With bias, it drops to 2/5 stars.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Resident Evil Afterlife

Easily the best Resident Evil movie so far. The problem with previous resident evil movies were that they were so disconnected from the game franchise. This one borrowed heavily from the games. Character names, zombie bosses, villians, game play mechanics...it was all in the movie.
    They also managed a good balance of likeable and hateable characters. Black famous guy = awesome, white producer guy = not awesome.

The movie was filmed with the 3D idea front and center. I watched it in 2D, but it didn't take away from the movie. In fact, I can see the 2D version being a better version. A lot of fight scenes had the gun barrels, weapons, ammo all coming directly at you. This is a cheap gimmick in 3D since it breaks that 4th wall, but in 2D it made for some very intense and memorable scenes. The movie was filmed in bright surroundings (because 3D movies, by design, become darker), so even through this is a zombie movie in a collapsed civilization, it didn't suffer from the common "WTF I CAN'T SEE SHIT!". This doesn't mean they turned the tanning lamps on. The sets were designed to be bright, especially the fight scenes at the end.

Only problem I had was how they ended the movie on a "they're all fucked" cliffhanger.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

Quick review: this was a great and entertaining movie with lots of quirks and a wonderful sense of style and humor. I really enjoyed it a lot and highly recommend it. 4/5 stars on Netflix, though if I could I would go 4.5/5....
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

Quick review: this was a great and entertaining movie with lots of quirks and a wonderful sense of style and humor. I really enjoyed it a lot and highly recommend it. 4/5 stars on Netflix, though if I could I would go 4.5/5....
    That movie was weird as hell. I liked it too.

Vertigo & Rear window!

I went to see The King's Speech tonight. It was really well done, and very fucking funny.

Brilliant acting.

edit: Also finally finished watching The Pianist (started it a few days ago). It was good, and interesting, and then it became extraordinarily depressing, and stretched into going on too long.
    Last edited by littlelolligagged; 01-16-2011 at 04:24 AM.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Finally was able to see The Social Network & Inception.

I loved the Social Network, great acting, writing..all-around fantastic film.
    Was only somewhat interested in seeing this, so it was a pleasent surprise.

I liked Inception, but it wasn't as good as all the rave reviews it got (IMO).
    Not that it was bad, but it was just merely good for me.
    Watching it right after Social Network may have colored that somewhat.

Observe and Report

awful, distasteful, retarded.

I saw Tangled yesterday, and I really liked it Good story line.

Lost in translation, pretty good! And beyond a doubt, which is excellent too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    That movie was weird as hell. I liked it too.
    weird would be an understatement.
    It stayed pretty close to the graphic novels, the movie evens says at one point that the comic was better I have to say I liked the movie better, the flow with the fight scenes, and the mood the music creates, works much better on the big scene.

It tettertotters between "WTF" and "this is everyday life." Loved all the 8bit references, even before the movie started! The Double Dragon reference, and the lesbian fight scene were the best.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 01-18-2011 at 03:07 PM.

I need to remember to add that to my Netflix list.

It tettertotters between "WTF" and "this is everyday life."
    It makes more sense to imagine that Scott is an unabashed, self-centered narcissist, and that everything in the story has already happened, he's just re-living it in his head, or telling someone about it. Think how Cartman from South Park remembers things and this easily explains any weirdness in the movie.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Lost in translation
    Johanssen gives me the horn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Johanssen gives me the horn.
    Not just you.

Me too, if a horn is what I think it means.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Das Boot
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Iron Man 2. Did pretty good translating Starks fall and rise, without getting into the social mess the comic was dragged through.

Wish they would hurry the fuck up on a Nick Furry movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Das Boot
    I liked that movie.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Iron Man 2. Did pretty good translating Starks fall and rise, without getting into the social mess the comic was dragged through.

Wish they would hurry the fuck up on a Nick Furry movie.
    I'd rather have a Nick Fury movie, thank you very much.

Furries... brrr.

Besides, Thor is next.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    I liked that movie.
    Which version? I watched the 5 hours director's cut
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

nice catch
    yeah Thor is next, besides the screens that have already been published, they say so at the end of Iron Man 2.
    Then its Captain America.

I'm worried about both of these movies, because they both loke like plastic is the only fashion they had to pick from. Especially for Thor. I hope some good CGI saves them from looking so cheap.