Page 16 of 75 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: What movie did you see today?

Hmmm I need to catch up on the classics, really not seen most of em. Um. Any of em.

Me missus bought me a Casablanca DeeVeeDee the other week. Aint seen it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Casablanca is good I watched Notorious last night, pretty good too
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Goodbye, Lenin!

4/5 stars.
    Your search had no results.

Fantastic Mr. Fox. Very strange movie but had a few laughs in it.

Caused a bit of an uproar over here, Fantastic Mr Fox did.

A classically English tale penned by a classically English author; Roald Dahl, twisted so that all the good guys are played with American accents, and all the bad guys with English ones ...

Seemed overly-violent too, from the few clips that I saw, which the original tale was anything but.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Saw Up in the Air last night. George Clooney as the man whose job it is to fire people.

Written and Directed by Juno's Jason Reitman.

Quirky but convincing. All the characters were very well played.

Took twists and turns that I wasn't expecting. The opportunties to turn this either into an average RomCom, or an average story-of-man-in-soulless-job-who-through-a-voyage-of-self-discovery-realises-that-people-matter were skillfully, and thankfully, avoided.

The ending had none of the feel-good Hollywoodness that I disappointingly thought it was building up to, and was instead dispiriting and more than a little bleak. For an American movie to have that kind of ending was thoroughly refreshing.

8.5/10

I watched Hall Pass over the weekend, found it very amusing. A dvd purchase foo shoo.

Shutter Island. Wasn't that impressed with it. Predictable would be one word to describe it. I knew that it would have an ending similar to The Cabinet of Dr Caligari...these reality questioning movies are getting old. The only good thing it had going for it was me questioning whether he really was insane..whether he was somehow convinced into believing that all, but meh.

Just found out that it was based on a novel written some years ago..so I'm guessing the author took the whole idea from the Cabinet of Dr Caligari and just added some new story line to it. At least JK Rowling was original (and I'm not talking about the whole magical world thing), yet many bag the Harry Potter series out.

Sorcerer's Apprentice.

It wasn't that bad. I enjoyed nicolas cage's performance. The movie got bogged down and ackward around the concept of emo/awkward teen falling in love. But the magic, sorcery, the main storyline of evil vs good. That was really good. They could have done without the scene paying homage to the original skit that involved mickey.

I wish the movie had done better, there was a small cliffhanger at the end that I really want to see followed through now that the awkwardness of the main character has been finished.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Sorcerer's Apprentice.

It wasn't that bad. I enjoyed nicolas cage's performance. The movie got bogged down and ackward around the concept of emo/awkward teen falling in love. But the magic, sorcery, the main storyline of evil vs good. That was really good. They could have done without the scene paying homage to the original skit that involved mickey.

I wish the movie had done better, there was a small cliffhanger at the end that I really want to see followed through now that the awkwardness of the main character has been finished.
    +1
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    This one is for Termite.
    Hey GGT I missed this post!

I will dig this old movie out and watch it I think, I seem to remember it being pretty good - it had Kirk Douglas in it too (playing two roles!).
    [ot]
    I used to ride horses a lot when I was a kid/teenager, I loved it! There is something very earthy about riding a horse, especially early on a cold morning when the horses are most active and alert.
    [/ot]

I haven't watched a movie lately but I just finished watching an old mini-series from the 80's called The Anzacs...

I hadn't watched it since it was on TV back then and I am surprised by how much I enjoyed it even today - despite the acting and cinematography being dated. It probably wouldn't mean much to anyone other than an Aussie since it is about the first Australians enter WW1 at a small Turkish beach called Gallipolli and their difficult experiences there and on the Western Front in Europe. While Paul Hogan plays a relatively small role in this 500 minute mini-series, his character was popular with viewers and it was probably his last performance before becoming a walking, talking cliché.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088479/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anzacs_%28TV_series%29
    Such is Life...

Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes.

A rip-roaring yarn, what. Hugely enjoyable. Downey put in a tip-top performance.

8/10

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes.

A rip-roaring yarn, what. Hugely enjoyable. Downey put in a tip-top performance.

8/10
    +1

I thought the performances of Downey and Law complimented each other well.
    Such is Life...

Quote Originally Posted by termite View Post
    Hey GGT I missed this post!

I will dig this old movie out and watch it I think, I seem to remember it being pretty good - it had Kirk Douglas in it too (playing two roles!).
    [ot]
    I used to ride horses a lot when I was a kid/teenager, I loved it! There is something very earthy about riding a horse, especially early on a cold morning when the horses are most active and alert.
    [/ot]
    Yeah, horses have a life and spirit of their own, and the Snowy River movies (both parts) seemed to capture that from a human perspective. Might sound lame at first blush, but National Velvet with Elizabeth Taylor and Mickey Rooney was another one of those horse loving movies.

This looks kinda corny, but it's the only synopsis I could find.

Great fucking flick. I won't bother to go into other horse movies like My Friend Flicka or The Horse Whisperer, not at this time anyway. There are other great wild horse movies, too many to count. But Man From Snowy River and National Velvet are two of the bestest.

Horses are such fascinating animals, aren't they? They kinda look like long legged land hippopotamuses, and take quite well to carrying certain humans on their backs, while they run faster than the wind! Not too many people know what if feels like to go from a trot to a canter to a gallop!

Wheee!

Saw "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus" a bit ago on netflix. It was a cool idea, but the movie felt incomplete. I understood the whole thing, but there were several points in the movie where I had to imagine additional scenes happening offscreen for the actions of the characters to make sense. Maybe this is just because of the changes that had to take place when Heath Ledger died. The whole thing was a good idea with a slightly lacking execution.

The King's Speech.

Finally.

Pretty good, if slightly uneventful film.

Firth was superb and deserved his Oscar.

I thought Bonham-Carter was excellent as his wife.

The movie did not deserve best picture though.

7/10

Compared with the other choices it did, though.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Tron. It was pretty, but lacked substance. I found myself getting distracted toward the end.

Even tho I am not much of a movie watcher, I have been helping out at the local video store. A friend I used to clean for just bought it and is trying to rearrange it to her taste. I am actually having a blast, even tho I am technically just a customer who never rents a movie but helps around the store.

Today's selection, by me, was Avatar. I had heard such great things about it, but I was a tad bit disappointed. I really don't know why either. Of course, since I was shelving movies and such at the same time, I didn't have my full attention on the movie.

Oh well, working for Kristy, even for free, is going to be a blast. I get to watch whatever I want when I am there, and have unlimited use of any of the movies! I may become an addict after all!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Keeping Mum

Saw Thor today. My first 3D movie, too.

It was better than I expected. Very comic book style execution, straight up story telling, linear plot line. They managed to create an ambiguous antagonist rather than a straight-up villain, which was very nice. And visually very satisfying if generic.

And sir Anthony Hopkins, too.

The 3D stuff didn't really do much for me, though, and the edges of the screen looked weird at times when things were zooming past, coming at you and then disappearing.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Finally saw Tangled. I didn't think I would like it at first; the first part was a little meh. But by the end I really enjoyed it!

Haven't watched it yet, but I will before the end of the day: Rosemary's Baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Tempted by Thor, for Brannagh's association more than anything else ...

Finally got round to watching Inception.

Very good. Thoroughly enjoyed it. The final sequence was genuinely tense.

Not as complicated as people were making it out to be either, and I'm certainly not the most perceptive nor astute of movie-goers - The story was straightforward enough.

The ending ...

Spoiler:
    ... once he's back home and with his father and kids ... and he spins the top - his totem - ... I said to my girlfriend that it would be a superb ending if the top kept on spinning, that'd really fuck with your head

... and the movie cut out before you could see whether it kept spinning or whether it toppled - which was also a great way to end it. I like open-to-interpretation endings.

8/10

Yeah well, I watched it in a cinema, and there was a a general 'what the fuck' gasp when the screen went black.
    Congratulations America

I watched Zombieland last night, what a movie that turned out to be. I'm not a zombie/horror fan as my imagination doesn't require help but I'd put this on par with 'Shaun of the Dead' - utterly entertaining.

The opening credit sealed the deal I must confess as it had 'For Whom The Bells Tolls' playing and well, you can't go wrong there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post

It was better than I expected. Very comic book style execution, straight up story telling, linear plot line. They managed to create an ambiguous antagonist rather than a straight-up villain, which was very nice. And visually very satisfying if generic.

And sir Anthony Hopkins, too.

The 3D stuff didn't really do much for me, though, and the edges of the screen looked weird at times when things were zooming past, coming at you and then disappearing.
    Saw it as well, and was pleasantly surprised too. (Went in with cautious expectations) Not to mention Chemsworth's shirtless scene...!
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Red Riding Hood, a bit slow for my taste, but beautifully filmed, and some sort of respect for the tale.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    Saw it as well, and was pleasantly surprised too. (Went in with cautious expectations) Not to mention Chemsworth's shirtless scene...!
    He was ridiculously good-looking, wasn't he

I was very bummed that they didn't rip his shirt off in the fight scene in the tunnel
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.