Page 19 of 75 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: What movie did you see today?

EyeKhan, you seen Hellboy 2? Its the same director and art style (Guillermo del Toro), but the story is shallower, so the art style is easier to take in. I liked it. I'm waiting for him to finish the final title in his Strain Trilogy so he can get around to turning that into a good horror film in the same style, it could be damn amazing.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    EyeKhan, you seen Hellboy 2? Its the same director and art style (Guillermo del Toro), but the story is shallower, so the art style is easier to take in. I liked it. I'm waiting for him to finish the final title in his Strain Trilogy so he can get around to turning that into a good horror film in the same style, it could be damn amazing.
    Yes, I thought Hellboy 2 was great. Better than the first.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Marion Brando + anal sex i seem to recall ...
    Yes. With butter.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Harry Potter, obviously! Not sure if I fully enjoyed it despite all its acclaimed recognition. To me, Harry Potter was never about great camera work and a serious, kinda pretentious setup. I sort off miss the cheeky charm of the older entries, although I can easily see how it'd be difficult incorporating that in the eerie drama that the last two movies have portrayed. Meh.. somehow I liked the books better.
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

Saw Dark of the Moon in 3D while getting my brakes replaced today. I thought it was pretty decent. Definitely the best movie in the franchise so far. There were some stupid things in the script & plot, but I didn't go in expecting a cerebral film, and it didn't detract too much from the movie.

One thing that stuck out to me was its use of 3D. I thought it was one of the best uses of 3D I've seen in a movie (though I haven't seen very many). Especially some of the CGI sequences were really well done, though some of the live-action stuff wasn't as good. There were a couple spots where it looked like the 3D was actually being useful too, rather than just gratuitous - scenes where the 3D added information and context to the scene that couldn't have been present with just 2D. I think this shows Hollywood's slowly getting more proficient with this technology.

Also, the movie seemed pretty brutal for a PG-13 flick based on children's toys.

Diary of a Kid: Rodrick Rules

It's stupid.

Rango is up next.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Saw The Fighter a few days back, liked it quite a lot more than I expected I would. Really great performances by Christian Bale and Amy Adams. Mark Wahlberg was decent, though nothing as entertaining as his performance in The Departed. I had no idea going in that this film was about a real, relatively recent boxer. Great movie, I gave it 4/5 stars on Netflix.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Has anyone seen 'Priest' yet?

Cloudy, With a Chance of Meatballs. Fricking surreal, hilarious at times, very touching at others, and featuring the sexiest kiss in movie history.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lor View Post
    Has anyone seen 'Priest' yet?
    It's your average "Hero saves the world. Hero is retired. Hero discovers that world is not saved. Boss of Hero forbids him from saving world. Hero tells boss where to shove it and saves world regardless." movie. Nothing special about it.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Just saw Joseph Cedar's first film, Hahesder (aka Time of Favor). Wow. I think it was even better than Beaufort. Oh, the plot was a bit contrived, but he did a beautiful job dealing with a very delicate issue, and there were a lot of very nice small touches that really made the difference between a good movie and a great movie.

Can't wait until I get a chance to see He'arat Shulayim, which just came out a couple months ago. It looks great.

Saw Lovely Bones

*shakes head slowly* dear oh dear Peter Jackson, just what were you thinking.

5/10

MEGAMIND

I it. Solid film, good fun, not as uneven as Despicable Me, fucking brilliant soundtrack

The Loss of a Teardrop Diamond. A Tennessee Williams play turned cinema. Compelling. Probably better read, though.

I just watched Megamind this weekend too. I liked it also.

Saw Lovely Bones

*shakes head slowly* dear oh dear Peter Jackson, just what were you thinking.

5/10
    Yeah I thought it was shit too. The book wasn't even that good either, I remember reading it half way then going to the last few pages to see how it would end.

Last movie I saw was the Harry Potter film, which I thought was awful. Even more so than all the other ones that came out before it. Just like all the others, terrible script, terrible acting, terrible attempts at 'jokes' and so on. I know effects made up for the utter crappyness, but at least make a damn attempt at the script!

I'm sorry, but Alan Rickman stole that film. His scenes were excellent.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Red Riding Hood.
    Low level spoilers ahead.

Ever seen a movie that felt like it was well worth sitting through, but still left you wanting more? Thats this movie. The acting was good, especially from some of the supporting roles, the filming and production were solid, even mind blowing amazing at times (especially during the scene thats shown through the mask, that evil girl smiling is creepy as fuck). The script felt solid except for a huge hole towards the end of the film.

Yet it still felt underwelming, I couldn't shake that "Twilight Emo-teen Angst" feeling; there wasn't a lot of action, there wasn't a lot of love story. There was a lot of death, but only some of it felt like it actually mattered.

It was like Salem Witch trials meets werewolves. The movie keeps you guessing about everything, even if the werewolf is real at the beginning; the movie doesn't turn supernatural until about the middle (same technique they used in the movie Alien).
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Saw Cell 211 the other day. It's certainly different from what Hollywood has to offer. I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't want to see the typical good vs. evil movie with the good winning in the end.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Comes out in Sept, but the trailer seems to spoil the entire movie, so I guess that counts as watching

Bolt. I almost cried a little :')

The Boy and I watched that on Sunday...it's cute.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Going through a bit of a Woody Allen phase at the mo'.

Got Manhattan and Annie Hall on DVD.

Both such wonderful movies, particularly Annie Hall.

I do wonder how closely Allen actually is the characters he portrays, as they are all so similar.

If so, he is egocentric, self-centred, and hilariously neurotic.

Rango. Far more Fear and Loathing cameos and inspired scenes than I was expecting, but thats a good thing. Seemed a little aggressive and suggestive for a kids movie, so that was refreshing. Overall it was a good movie and very well done.

Juno. That was depressing as fuck.

Also, totally agree about Alan Rickman stealing Harry Potter. Helena Bonham Carter was brilliant, too.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    Juno. That was depressing as fuck.
    Didja like it though?

I thought it was great. Gave it a high score/10 a couple of pages back.

Didja like it though?

I thought it was great. Gave it a high score/10 a couple of pages back.
    It was well done, excellent movie.

Just finished The Tourist. If it weren't for the sex appeal I'd have turned it off.

I saw Deathly Hallows 2 last weekend and I liked it quite a lot. I always loved the Snape character. First rate acting there. Did anyone else catch this out of the tear memory scene:
    Spoiler:
    Snape was fooling around with Harry's mom on the side and was, in fact, Harry's dad??? I have to read the book now and figure out this and some of the other poorly rendered plot elements
    The Rules

Skyline. Its nothing like Battle LA, despite what the lawsuit claimed. It was shallow, it was stupid, it made no sense, and it couldn't decide when it should have ended. It was like they mixed War of the Worlds unstoppable aliens with District 9s love story.

and they killed off the only guy who could act within minutes of the aliens showing up.