Page 20 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: What movie did you see today?

Fight Club.

Totally disappointing, apparently its one of those films you have to have a dick to appreciate.

I got free tickets for advanced screenings of Conan the Barbarian and Fright Night (both 3D) next week at the drafthouse. Won't complain about free!
    Your search had no results.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    Fight Club.

Totally disappointing, apparently its one of those films you have to have a dick to appreciate.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Found out I might be getting a free pass to all press screenings at Ghent International Film Festival (which has good movies!). Fingers crossed! It pretty much depends on whether the short film I am the producer of gets selected for their shorts selection, but even if not I might be able to get one.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Conan The Barbarian is being heavily advertised right now and that sparked a conversation the other day, at first I was wondering who would be playing Conan (just seen its the Dothraki ) but can't think of many action actors nowadays the same as there were when I was growing up. As a child of the 80s/teen of the 90s, we had Arnie of course, Sylvester Stallone, Bruce Willis, Chuck Norris, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Steven Segal and more - who are the major equivalents now?

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    As a child of the 80s/teen of the 90s, we had Arnie of course, Sylvester Stallone, Bruce Willis, Chuck Norris, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Steven Segal and more - who are the major equivalents now?
    Not sure there are any. The ridiculously muscled action star who can defeat hordes of enemies wielding automatic weapons by kicking really high seems to be a thing of the past. I can't think of any new equivalents, but can point out that with the release of Die Hard 4, Bruce Willis became a 50 year old action-movie hero. I guess 'roid rage just couldn't stay fashionable forever.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

Jason Statham, maybe?

Diesel was pretty bad ass in the riddick movies as well.

Statham is good, but he risks becoming the next Steven Seagull
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Fright Night was pretty cool if you take it for what it is. Didn't take itself too seriously, which was nice. Also, three of the stars did a Q&A at my theater after the showing. Christopher Mint-Plasse ("McLovin") is really funny in-person. The other two who showed up were Anton Yelchin (played Chekov in Star Trek) and Dave Franco (played Cole in Scrubs). So weird seeing them for real.

Also, we got a bunch of swag before the show. Plastic axes ftw!
    Your search had no results.

Aye, Diesel is the only real muscle-man I can think of in action movies in recent times.

Pitch-black was excellent too.

Lucky Number Slevin

Enjoyed it even more than I did the first time. I'd forgotten how great Freeman's and Kingsley's villains were. Hartnett and Lucy Liu make a beautiful couple. It feels like a shorter movie than it is, but, even so, the main characters really come alive when channeled by these actors
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I love that movie.

This... is a kansas city shuffle

That is a cool shuffle.

I saw the rise of the planet of the apes, and it's pretty enjoyable, but..

Spoiler:
    I may be an ass, but while I can buy a virus that makes every monkey super intelligent, the rest of the plot holes and massive errors in realism just annoyed me, a great deal, especailly because those errors just kept piling up.

Okay, I'm currently about halfway thouugh Up in the Air, and I'm not entirely sure there is any point to it at all.

Mr. George Clooney is sexier than ever, though.

I do better picking non-American films, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    Okay, I'm currently about halfway thouugh Up in the Air, and I'm not entirely sure there is any point to it at all.
    Not sure if there is much of a story there, beyond the story of the protagonist and his peripatetic life. Was an okay movie though. And agree on the sexiness of the Clooneyman.

If anything, perhaps you can take away how utterly unpleasant it is to be told you're losing your job by video-conference, as I found out a couple of months ago.

Directing your ire toward a teevee screen makes you feel so ... impotent ... when you are already placed in a powerless and fairly humiliating position.

Is it actually common practice to hire someone else to do your firing?

I think firing by video-conference is just dreadful.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Huge global corporations, it probably is more common than it should be; out-sourcing of numerous corporate functions is commonplace.

In my case, I was told by an in-house consultant (so he worked for my company and was not external) who'd been brought in to reshuffle the entire department and oversee the cuts to staff numbers.

He was based in the building where I worked, so normally would have carried out these redundancies in person, but on that particular day, a number of people in other locations in the City were told they were being cut, an announcement was being made to everybody at a particular hour, and the timing of events dictated that he was elsewhere in the City at the time I was told.

Which means jack shit to me.

When an employee has worked for someone for 10 years, you bloody well make the time and the effort, and you organise events so that you can tell them in person that their services are no longer needed.

It shows a lack of respect otherwise, and leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.

I agree.

Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father

What a fucking depressing film Worst is that it's a documentary

Melancholia, fokking awesome.
    Congratulations America

Cowboys and Aliens.

Not too bad. Nice eye candy, sci-fi/Western (making me all nostalgic for Firefly). Would have benefited from some [visible] nudery, though.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

So The Mist wasn't bad, per se
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Arthur

Russell Brand only seems caoable of playing one type of character, and for once, he didn't overly suck at it.

Conan the Barbarian, yet another movie they better not have made. Piss poor acting, superfluous 3D, and can somebody explain these people that a string of bloody swordfights does not make for an exciting movie as the actual story moves along slower than a dying snail.

They also killed all of the campiness of the originals. It almost became my first walk-out of the year.

Toy Story 3! And Source Code, which was okay.

Green Lantern, formulaic, but entertaining. Prudish to the point where it gets ridiculous, but you don't want those x-es for US viewing

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Toy Story 3! And Source Code, which was okay.
    I saw Source Code on the plane. The movie took a really good idea and went nowhere with it. It's ok due to the novelty, but I think this could have been a really, really good movie.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Agreed.and I had high expectations because moon was good. It was still okay, but could have been better.

Expendables.

I liked it, I liked all the cameos, I liked the acting, I like how everyone played to their strengths, I fucking loved that truck.

Only problem was a good bit of the storyline involving the CIA was completely dropped/forgotten once everything started to blow up. Maybe saving it for Expendables 2?

Burn After Reading

Not sure how I missed this one, but it wasn't particularly funny for something that is supposedly a comedy.