Page 25 of 75 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: What movie did you see today?

Quote Originally Posted by Chambalaya
    X-Men: First Class -- this is the best of the X-Men films, by far. Not just fun but also thoughtful and morally complex. I recommend.
    Given that the training montage thing was supposed to be a week of real time, and their jaunt to find other muties couldn't have been that long either, the very traumatic haunts-them-into-their-old-age rift only really makes sense if Charles and Eric were gay lovers. Which also happens to make the film more enjoyable, so
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Given that the training montage thing was supposed to be a week of real time, and their jaunt to find other muties couldn't have been that long either, the very traumatic haunts-them-into-their-old-age rift only really makes sense if Charles and Eric were gay lovers. Which also happens to make the film more enjoyable, so
    That's been obvious for ages. You haven't read the comics???
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

It's been awhile; if you could cite the volume and issues relevant to the discussion, I can look it up!
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

It's been awhile; if you could cite the volume and issues relevant to the discussion, I can look it up!
    It's not true. I lied.

Anyway, watched the remake of Fright Night last evening. Not terrible, but not great. I did like the way the vampire dealt with being refused an invitation to the protagonist's home. The original film was better, btw. I recommend only if you can see it for free.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    It's not true. I lied.
    And so it was, yet is it not the most elementary way we communicate with one another? The foundation of our being is the lie a mother tells herself. The fountain of our youth is the lies we learn to tell to women. The bedrock of our adulthood are the lies we told to a particular woman. As we grow old, and soon to die, we reminisce on the lies of old, and tell both ourselves and the woman new ones. It is how we can remain functional.

Slaughterhouse five, very weird, but good. I think I should read the book, some time.

Some time? Some time?!

Some time soon?

..as soon as I can get my hands on a copy?

I'm watching you

No but really it's a very good read, you should get it

It's not true. I lied.

Anyway, watched the remake of Fright Night last evening. Not terrible, but not great. I did like the way the vampire dealt with being refused an invitation to the protagonist's home. The original film was better, btw. I recommend only if you can see it for free.
    I saw it free at a premiere here. It was ok, felt a bit empty. The Q&A with Anton Yelchin, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, and Dave Franco after the showing was a little better than the movie itself.
    Your search had no results.

And so it was, yet is it not the most elementary way we communicate with one another? The foundation of our being is the lie a mother tells herself. The fountain of our youth is the lies we learn to tell to women. The bedrock of our adulthood are the lies we told to a particular woman. As we grow old, and soon to die, we reminisce on the lies of old, and tell both ourselves and the woman new ones. It is how we can remain functional.
    I'm absolutely convinced children are pre-programmed to lie to their parents. My kids both started lying way before they were sophisticated enough to understand what was what. They are pre-programmed to manipulate their parents for what they want as well - and they get very very good at it very very fast. It's a strange thing to observe. I think on some level parents encourage the lying, help them practice it albeit unwittingly. Dishonsety and manipulation has GOT to be a survival characteristic. I wonder if anyone's studied that? And yeah, we do it our whole lives, sometimes harmlessly, sometimes for the good of all, sometimes out of selfishness, sometimes with fucking horrible effect.
    The Rules

I'm absolutely convinced children are pre-programmed to lie to their parents. My kids both started lying way before they were sophisticated enough to understand what was what. They are pre-programmed to manipulate their parents for what they want as well - and they get very very good at it very very fast. It's a strange thing to observe. I think on some level parents encourage the lying, help them practice it albeit unwittingly. Dishonsety and manipulation has GOT to be a survival characteristic. I wonder if anyone's studied that? And yeah, we do it our whole lives, sometimes harmlessly, sometimes for the good of all, sometimes out of selfishness, sometimes with fucking horrible effect.
    I think that is what makes partnerships, love if you will, so precious. Only there, laid bare, are we able to trust the other person so much that we don't need to lie constantly. That bond, that possibility of honesty, is what drives monogamy.

Lotsa movies lately... saw the new Sherlock Holmes yesterday, finished the Fast/Furious movies, saw Revolver, just saw Happy Feet and Moneyball, prolly forgetting a few...

If you haven't seen SH, see it. It's worse than the first one in some ways, but sooooo much better in other ways. Esp. every scene with Holmes vs. Moriarty
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I thought the previous SH was a fun action movie.. but not Sherlock Holmes
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Could be promising, the depth perception tricks from the previous movies aren't as amazing in the trailer, maybe cause the characters are all about the same height this time?
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I think that is what makes partnerships, love if you will, so precious. Only there, laid bare, are we able to trust the other person so much that we don't need to lie constantly. That bond, that possibility of honesty, is what drives monogamy.
    huh, I was thinking that's what makes the parent-child relationship so precious, long after monogamy or romantic relationships "of choice" have failed.

Movies I'd like to see over the holidays:

War Horse
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
    The Adventures of Tintin

I doubt this would be to everyone's liking but I enjoyed.
    Such is Life...

Picture didn't load for me Termite, perhaps i'll check it in Firefox later. SH: Game of Shadows was nice... I didn't see the first one, but seemed to be able to follow this one fine, there was some implied understanding between the girl and holmes presumed at the start of this one, but I didn't feel confused really by it. They like eachother but work for different sides.

There is a Live Action Kenshin movie I'm intersted in, and a Ender's Game movie coming out that i'm also interested in. Harrison Ford is playing Colonel Graff I think.. some british kid is playing Ender.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebanese Dragon View Post
    Picture didn't load for me Termite
    Damn the interweb to hell!
    Quote Originally Posted by termite View Post
    K-Pax
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0272152/

Prot (Kevin Spacey) is a patient at a mental hospital who claims to be from a far away Planet. His psychiatrist (Jeff Bridges) tries to help him, only to begin to doubt his own explanations.

I doubt this would be to everyone's liking but I enjoyed.
    Such is Life...

Dishonsety and manipulation has GOT to be a survival characteristic. I wonder if anyone's studied that?
    They have, and it is, actually. In those studies with robots or computer algorithms simulating natural selection in some way or to some level of detail, the bots or algorithms generally spontaneously develop the ability and widespread use of deceit within a few "generations."
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

If anyone here appreciates Bollywood, I watched Don 2 today.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    I thought the previous SH was a fun action movie.. but not Sherlock Holmes
    Sherlock Holmes movie was incredibly boring for an action movie. I wouldn't advise it to anybody.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. Don't know what to say about that one, I fell asleep during it. It was too much of everything, impossible to follow the story, mostly by the way they chose to tell it. An absolute highlight was when St. Lenin lead MI5 (or so) into singing the national anthem of the USSR. That part I loved.
    Congratulations America

Warrior - Tom Hardy, Nick Nolte and Joel Edgerton

A friend recommended this film and I was skeptical about it - to me it looked like a UFC promotional video from the small amount of advertising I had seen.

I was pleasantly surprised by the experience and the performances of all the main characters were above average (Nolte was a stand out). The story had more depth and emotion than I expected and I reckon Nolte gave a brilliant portrayal of a character that it seems he was destined to perform. There are a few cringe-worthy moments in the lead up to the Main Event (A knockout cage-fight tournament with a $5m winner takes all purse) but these weren't enough to derail what was essentially a story about a family dealing with the pain of past events that have shaped all their lives in such different ways.
    Such is Life...

if I have to choose between the rum diary, mission impossible, or puss in boots, which to choose?

Ps hazir, in the russian anthem scene, john le carre has a cameo and is also singing I did enjoy the film, by the way.

Saw Game of Shadows today. It was pretty entertaining. Perhaps not the greatest movie, but Downey's antics had me grinning through most of it. I kept expecting him to act like House for some reason, but his Holmes is actually a nicer guy.

Flixy - I heard Mission Impossible was good, though haven't seen it myself yet. Thinking about going to see it later this week.

Might as well go and see it then, still have one free cinema ticket left that expires the 31st.

Am watching the original tinker tailor soldier spy tv series now

Got the latest pirates of the caribbean movie, on stranger tides, for Christmas. Its not nearly has flashy as the first movies, and its been really dumbed down and made more kid friendly. Very very little drunkenness and drinking displayed, which made sparrow look like a whole different character.

Its alright, but its not as good as the others. The guy who played Black Beard was awesome.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."