Page 28 of 75 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: What movie did you see today?

Quote Originally Posted by Catgrrl View Post
    The kid is having a day with Grandma, and V for Vendetta is on TV. Now I want to make Eggs in a Basket.
    There are other movies showing British eggs-in-a-basket that made me think the same thing. Turned out to be harder than it looked. Same thing with older B & W movies where a three minute egg is served in an elevated egg cup, cracking just the upper shell and spooning out its contents, with the under shell acting as the bowl.

I had those in Russia, but I've never seen one in the US.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Ya, I've never had one either; only have seen it on television. I have had eggs in a basket several times, but never made it on my own. I'm just now getting comfortable making any other kind of eggs other than scrambled.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Uh, what exactly is so difficult about those eggs? Prick a small hole in the bottom, throw'em in boiling water, take them out after a certain amount of time (depending on how hard/soft you want them) and douse them shortly under cold water.

Done.

I know of few receipes easier than that
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

You're talking to someone who just learned in the last year how to hard-boil eggs without under/overcooking them.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Fun story: Back when I was living in a dorm, one of our residents wanted to boil an egg for his girlfriend. He put water in an open pot, waited until it boiled and then put the egg in. Since he wanted to keep the water boiling, he did not reduce the heat.

He then told his girlfried to watch the egg since he wanted to go to the kiosk to buy something. On the way there, he broke his leg.

Thus the egg was forgotten and kept on boiling. Some time later, all the water had boiled away. Another resident entered the kitchen.

At that moment, the egg decided to explode. The guy screamed like a little girl and we had to have the ceiling painted
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Hope is the denial of reality

It's a staple brekky in England.

P'ticularly Egg'n soldiers, for dipping.

Anyway. Back to the movies.

Lincoln Lawyer

Matthew Mcconaughey as a streetwise defense lawyer. Also starring Ryan Phillipe, William H Macy, & Marisa Tomei.
    Watchable enough, Mcconaughey was convincing. The plot was a total stretch though, and I found myself at several points thinking, ZIF.

6/10

Saw Sunshine Cleaning on a plane back from Real America (Tampa in this case). Not bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf5S-1tJlg0

Battle: Los Angeles

Sci-fi CGI-alien-invasion-fest.
    Action pretty decent. The first 30 mins of the movie were the best.
    Descended into usual boring American emotional-soldier crap which Hollywood insists on putting into these types of movies. I found myself forwarding through these scenes just to get to more action.
    Also ... if these aliens have the tech and the know-how to traverse the galaxy, why the fuck are they using basic projectile and incendiary weaponry?
    It's one notch up from the mind-numbing shite that was Independence Day anyway.

5/10

~

Oh, and for the love of god, please do not make the mistake I did by watching Battle of Los Angeles instead, which is a truly, truly, truly, truly, truly, truly, truly, abysmal film, and not even in a so bad it's good kinda way. I switched it off after 20 mins.

Chronicle was good, looking forward to seeing some of the leads in other movies I haven't seen many movies and shows that have done as much justice to the concept as did Chronicle.

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

John Carter was a nice piece of fluff, I wonder if they ever get to make a sequel.
    Congratulations America

Black Gold, Dubai is getting into movies. A movie about how oil in the twenties of the last century started to drag the Middle East out of the Middle Ages and into modernity. Strange to see the same actor (Marc Strong) in two subsequent movies on two subsequent days in two entirely different roles.
    Congratulations America

Boat had a "new movie" channel...

Tower Heist: Pretty good, Eddie Murphy was in it and he didn't manage to stink it up. Plenty of laughs while still having a somewhat serious story.

Happy Feet 2: Even the kids couldn't follow this one. Soundtrack is nice, but the story is stupid.

The Ides of March: Anyone else see this yet? It was captivating, very enjoyable. Clooney's name is all over it, but he wasn't really the star. I think it ended about 5 minutes to soon, I really wanted to hear the answer to that interview question.

Cowboys and Aliens: Great movie to watch while wasting time in the middle of the night.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Safe House worth the ticket price. had my doubts but it was solid. minimum of cheese, doesn't fall flat like many other recent action-thrillers. Surprisingly little dialogue though. Ending's just right. Reynold's doing well

John Carter was really fun

Too bad about the marketing :/
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Disney's expected to take around a ~200 million lose on that movie
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Which seems odd for a film that had a 250 million budget. Also, to be fair, they expect to take that loss in this quarter only, and it will still be shown after 31st of march, plus DVD/bluray sales.

I didn't see it (yet), the trailers really did not make it look interesting, at all.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

that figure doesn't include the 100 million they dropped on advertising.

that figure doesn't include the 100 million they dropped on advertising.
    Burned in a barrel, you mean

Flix, bear in mind that it is based on century-old pulp fantasy, and it stayed kinda true to the material and themes; I liked that, but it really is mindless and slightly anachronistic joy-riding with decent CGI.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Hunger Games

Wife insisted on seeing it on Friday. I didn't think the book was that amazing (only read the first; maybe 2 and 3 get better?), and I thought the movie was kinda similar - okay, but nothing special. They kinda missed all of the internal monologue/character development for Katniss and her relationship with Peeta, so that was a big minus. Otherwise, it was a decent representation of what happened in the book, but since I didn't find the book too compelling, I wasn't blown away by the movie. The portrayal of Katniss by whats-her-face was decent.

Hugo

I had very inflated expectations of this going in, so it's not surprising I was a bit disappointed. At times, I felt it bordered on the ridiculous (esp. with SB Cohen as the Inspector), which detracted from the underlying story that was really quite sweet. I think the hullabaloo over the effects was a little overdone, but perhaps I'd feel differently if I'd seen it in 3D. Still, a fun, largely heartwarming movie. I do think the girl (same actress from Kick-ass and a few other movies) may have a decent future in acting. The jury's still out on Asa Butterfield - hopefully he's good, since he'll have to be damned convincing in Ender's Game.

Bleh that sucks. I enjoy movies like that and when they lose money it makes it harder for more of them to be created.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I had those in Russia, but I've never seen one in the US.
    Really? Never thought you don't have them over there, we just call that a "3 minute egg".

Prick a small hole in the bottom, throw'em in boiling water, take them out after a certain amount of time (depending on how hard/soft you want them) and douse them shortly under cold water.
    The cold wather is a myth (the whole "Eier abschrecken" thing, the only thing it does is to cool down the egg faster you can also just wait, same results.

Never put a small hole in the bottom, what is that good for?

I find ooached egg much harder, at least if it should look good at the and.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Saw Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, now that it's finally available to enjoy pantsless, in the comfort my home.

Pretty outstanding mystery/thriller thing, with nekkid lesbians. Woohoo! And now that I think about it, that's one thing most decent mystery movies lack. Of course, there's also a humorous rape scene, which might cause problems with any easily offended types in the room, though I guess that's more of an argument against certain people than the movie.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

Amerikan or Swedish version?
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Reading Cain's post reminds me that I have the Swedish version and still haven't watched it yet.