Page 43 of 75 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 2244

Thread: What movie did you see today?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    That's the trailer that almost made me decide I didn't need to see this movie. I'm happy I decided differently. People who go on the basis of what this trailer seems to promise will be disappointed I think.
    Congratulations America

Gravity. Most of all spectacular visually. Story was ok-ish.
    Congratulations America

Saw The Man From Earth again last night with the missus, who'd never seen it before. First time 'round I kinda liked it but felt that the "religious figure" bit ruined things for me. This time it was very different. I already knew about that "twist" and so, since I knew it was coming, I could just relax and properly enjoy the film--the frame story, John's story, the conversation, the music, the characters... it was really nice! I had not expected this film to hold up to a second viewing.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Hazir, is it just me or is each punching scene there utterly unrealistic?
    Hope is the denial of reality

Hazir,I got some free cinema tickets, which film that's currently in Dutch cinemas do you recommend? I mostly see films at festivals, these days, haven't really kept up with what's playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Gravity. Most of all spectacular visually. Story was ok-ish.
    One of my parents got dizzy and had to walk out of it last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Hazir, is it just me or is each punching scene there utterly unrealistic?
    'There' ?
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Hazir,I got some free cinema tickets, which film that's currently in Dutch cinemas do you recommend? I mostly see films at festivals, these days, haven't really kept up with what's playing.
    I'd go and see Wolf, Don Jon, Blue Jasmine, Behind the Candelabra maybe Prisoners and Gravity.

Prisoners I saw last night. It's a not entirely effective thriller, the clues are a bit too obvious. Or at least they were for me. The motivate for the villain was a bit silly I thought.
    Congratulations America

Finally got around to seeing Gatsby. Okay, but not spectacular. I found the overly stylized 'feel' to be a bit much for me, and I really didn't like their attempt to increase its 'current' nature by using highly anachronistic music for much of it. Some bits were visually fun, though. Other bits were kinda Moulin Rouge-y, but not in a good way.

Also saw World War Z. I had heard it had no connection to the book, but I didn't realize just how little connection people meant. There was essentially no overlap between the book and the movie, which is a real shame. It was an okay zombie flick, but that's about it:
    Spoiler:
    Zombies were too fast (and too fast to change), the Israelis weren't that stupid, there wasn't some magic camouflage solution to their problems, etc. Where's my redoubt strategy and low cost kill ratios? Where's the goddamned Battle of Yonkers?

Eh. Such a shame.

Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Finally got around to seeing Gatsby. Okay, but not spectacular. I found the overly stylized 'feel' to be a bit much for me, and I really didn't like their attempt to increase its 'current' nature by using highly anachronistic music for much of it. Some bits were visually fun, though. Other bits were kinda Moulin Rouge-y, but not in a good way.
    Aye, not a fan of Jay Z me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Metallica: Through the Never - Saw this last Friday, absolutely loved the concert footage, brilliant filmed and sounded incredible (especially compared to their other recordings). However, the narrative was so-so.

7/10 for me.

White House Down

I fully expected this movie to suck. I thought it might even be worse than Olympus Has Fallen, which I could barely get through. Instead I found myself watching the whole thing and even getting a little teary eyed at what should have been the cheesiest most revolting scene of the entire movie. God damned hormones I think I can forgive the black stereotypes.

I was looking forward to seeing Tom Hanks in "Captain Phillips". Because I love Tom Hanks. But now there's all sorts of political crap and social media surrounding the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    I was looking forward to seeing Tom Hanks in "Captain Phillips". Because I love Tom Hanks. But now there's all sorts of political crap and social media surrounding the movie.
    What kind of political crap? Anyway, political crap surrounding something only affects you if you let it - if you want to see the film, see it, and enjoy it (or not).
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

This has not been a great week, movie-wise.

City of Bones -- kinda meh in almost every way. Her eyebrows and his brooding face really didn't work with me. Mrs. Fredericks was hella sweet though

Man of Tai Chi -- I hoped against hope that a modern martial arts movie featuring tai chi would at least be okay. It was instead the first movie I've seen in a long time that made me think, "Omg, this is actually kinda shit." Apart from the Master, I didn't like a single character/actor in the movie. Instead I found them to be very off-putting.

Despicable Me 2 -- not as good as it's predecessor. Had its moments but mostly it felt like a string of unusually infantile gags loosely tied together with, er, string. I liked the ending and of course El Macho

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Martial arts using Tai Chi?

What were they fighting? Rabid three-toed sloths?
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Jet Li's Tai Chi Master is one of my all time favourites so I had high hopes

Tai Chi is practiced slowly but it's ultimately supposed to be used with speed, strength and grace

Oblivion. Thought it was all right. Nothing really blew me away, but some of the visuals were nice. Fairly simplistic plotting, though.

Woody Allen's Blue Jasmin.

Was excellent. Cate Blanchet in the lead was compelling.

Characters were generally unlikeable, I didn't sympathise with them despite their repetitive misfortune. Laughs were few, this isn't a comedy really, not even of the tragic kind.

An interesting study of flawed people.

7/10
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

So, Ender's Game. Visually stunning. Story seems to contain the core elements.

Somehow it didn't grip me, though.

Meet the Fokkens, a documentary actually, about two twin sisters who've been prostitutes for half a century in Amsterdam. Available on netflix. Odd to see really.
    Congratulations America

Epic

Not as Ferngullyish as I was expecting. Good kids movie, a little boring on my end.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

The young and prodigious T.S. Spivet, adorable. Peeps with children who think they can take them to it may want to get ready to do some explaining about loss.
    Congratulations America

Def. didn't expect to enjoy Thor 2 almost as much as Avengers but whaddaya know best line of the movie: "Tadaaahh!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Epic

Not as Ferngullyish as I was expecting. Good kids movie, a little boring on my end.
    Which reminds me that my experience in actually getting the ticket for Ender's Game was sort of epic.

It began with me trying to buy the ticket online by credit card which would enable me to choose the seat myself. Only problem: The system told me for about 60% of the seats that they had already been taken while I was choosing the seat. While still displaying them as "free" and actually continuing to do so. Multiple browser refreshs didn't help. Finally managed to find a suitable seat, though.

Then the e-mail with my reservation number arrived: The movie was to begin at 2010h. The website stated 2110h, though. Confusion cleared up by the call center agent I called: The staff had switched the halls and the system hadn't gotten the new time for some reason. 2110h was correct, though. I also complained about the seating - she told me that only the staff in the cinema was able to move my seat. But she'd forward my complaint to their IT helpdesk.

Well, I had some free time and thus cycled to the cinema. Whereupon I discovered that, having spoken to one of the staff there, according to the system I was now seated in the right corner at the front.
    The guy was willing to change my seat but - I kid you not - I had to print my card at the ticket printer first. Where I discovered that the e-mail app on my mobile lacked the reservation number the system needed (my desktop e-mail did display that number for the same e-mail by the way!). And the mobile connection was so bad that using the web e-mail version was out of the question (GPRS connection with about 1 bar of connectivity - I'd estimate the speed at about 4kib/s max)

But not to worry, the staff guy said: I could simply insert my credit card and the system would link my CC number to the purchase and then print the ticket. That was the idea, at least - and it was a good one: I remembered that I had gotten my last ticket this way some weeks back. In reality, that now worked only for debit cards due to a software change. Right.

In the end, he commiserated and simply gave me a free ticket at the seat of my choice. Upon returning home I found another e-mail by the IT helpdesk who stated that their system had become confused by the switch of cinema halls (which explained the seating choice problem) and that they had thusly moved my seating to the rightmost corner in front. Which still left the question of who in their right mind decides to move someone to the right corner in front of a mostly empty cinema hall...

I've been impressed with the efficiency of booking systems at cinemas recently. Book online on phone, choose seat, (use membership # for discount if you have one), go to cinema, show QR code on your phone to guy at the screen door who scans it, watch film. No queues and no tickets.

I guess when cinemas start doing unusual things like swapping halls at the last minute, systems can't cope.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Which still left the question of who in their right mind decides to move someone to the right corner in front of a mostly empty cinema hall...
    It's probably seat #A1 ...

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    It's probably seat #A1 ...
    The e-mail from support actually said: "We moved you to this seat!"

Saw Ender's Game in Imax over the weekend. It was all right; could have been better, but also could have been a lot worse. Mild spoilers to follow?
    Spoiler:
    My biggest beef was that sexual tension just didn't factor into the book (and rightfully so), but because of the necessities forced on them by an older cast of kids, they ended up having to throw it in. Visuals were nice, acting wasn't bad, story was competently adapted for the silver screen.

I really wish I had the opportunity to see the movie without having read the book - then I'd be able to appreciate (a) whether it held together logically with so many pieces of internal dialogue/character development missing, and (b) whether it was actually any good. As it was, every single scene had my mind dissecting the characterization, plot, and dialogue to compare to the book and see what they adapted. I do feel like they got the basic story correct, but was disappointed with the relatively flat Battle School characters (Bean, Alai, et al were all essentially interchangeable) and I'm not sure if they did a good job showing the relatively brutal nature of the training forced on these kids. Peter was a caricature, as was Valentine, but I guess that's how Ender saw them so it's all right. Graff was much less amusing in Harrison Ford's gruff delivery than how I had always imagined him, and Anderson was too touchy-feely to convince me. Kingsley's Rackham was decently done, I thought.