Page 46 of 75 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 2244

Thread: What movie did you see today?

I, Frankenstein. This, I am affraid intended as the beginning of a new franchise. What you get is the Frankenstein story being treated as an introduction worth barely 4 minutes in the beginning of the movie, after which the monster becomes little more than a pawn in a struggle between good and evil. Fluffed up with a good dose of mediocre everything. Not worth your money or your time.
    Congratulations America

I was working with the Rotten Tomatoe's API today and thus heard about I, Frankenstein's mediocrity through the medium of JSON. I know that's not especially interesting, but that's not why I came into this thread, which was to say that I watched Stark Trek: Into Darkness the other day.

It wasn't very good.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Out of curiosity, what are you doing with Rotten Tomato's API?

I needed to build a cinema listings widget for a site, and the only useful API I could for the UK did not return movie posters, which was called for in the design, so I decided to nab them from Rotten Tomatoes.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    I wonder where Media Centers like Plex or XMBC get their movie data from.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Saw Ender's Game tonight. I liked it, but I think it would have benefited a lot from an extended running time. It didn't seem like they had enough time to really flesh out anything that was going on or give anyone or anything the build-up/characterization needed, and I could see how people who hadn't read the book would have seen it as a bit disjointed.

Spoiler:
    One thing that hit me in particular is the Giant's Drink game. The way it was presented in the movie didn't really make sense. The book had the Giant's Drink as the end of a long run of mindgames, while the movie had it as the game's chief purpose.

I also think Ender's motivation in that final battle was better done in the book. There, IIRC he was sick of the whole school again, and was trying to flunk out Peter style, by proving he was too vicious and callous to be fit for command. He was trying to do something so abhorrent that they wouldn't give him command of a real fleet, not realizing that he already had it. That all made the twist more horrifying.

Speaking of, maybe it was just because I knew it was coming, but I think they telegraphed the twist too much, while weirdly skipping a lot of the more subtle foreshadowing that the book had.

I was actually looking forward to how they would handle the Peter/Valentine subplot, but given the running time issues it's probably for the best that it was cut entirely.

The space battles were very cool looking.

The LEGO movie

Everything is awesome!
    The trailers do a good job of not spoiling the movie, and while the bad guy being "Mr. Business" (not a spoiler, promise) might make Lewk throw up a little, it just means he didn't get the point
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

American Shuffle; a bit slow in the beginning, but delightful all in all.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    The LEGO movie

Everything is awesome!
    The trailers do a good job of not spoiling the movie, and while the bad guy being "Mr. Business" (not a spoiler, promise) might make Lewk throw up a little, it just means he didn't get the point
    Very true! Everything is awesome!
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Fast and furious 6. Plot holes large enough for The Rock to walk through but still entertaining. The rewriting of history in the last minute was unexpected but makes it easier than I was expecting to write Paul walker off in Fast 7.

Anyone seen Wolf of Wall Street yet?

Not yet, have been planning to see it but something always came up. Heard it's good, though!
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

It's quite good, sometimes it feels a bit like the story has been embellished a bit, but a very entertaining movie.
    Congratulations America

12 years a slave; very dark, very good. Though it might be that I found it very good because it worked on the premise that I also adhere to; you don't need hindsight to know that slavery was a bad system. Slave owners can't be absolved by the excuse that 'things were different back then'.

A couple of weeks ago I found an old DVD with 'Gone with the wind', watching it I was like 'wow, this really couldn't have been made today in this form'. 12 years a slave reinforced that a lot.
    Congratulations America

I'm hearing that there's a possible Farscape movie in the works. The responsible movie execs want to see how Guardians of the Galaxy does before green-lighting it though. So even if a space raccoon with a machine gun wasn't enough reason, now everyone has to watch GotG.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    I'm wondering though what it would have as a plot - the Peacekeeper Wars pretty much wrapped everything up.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Set to follow the awesome comics written by our favorite Keith R.A. DeCandido, the film would follow John and Aeryn's son, D'Argo (or Little D, as we will always refer to him). Because their baby was exhibiting a set of interesting powers that made him a magnet for galactic villains, we find that John and Aeryn hide their son on Earth to grow up. Now the kid is 19 and ready to go into space with his parents.
    Source

Still in the script writing phase, and the first plot summaries that come out of this stage are never accurate.

My son saw "Lone Survivor" tonight, and said it was pretty good. (I hadn't even heard of it before.)

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I'm hearing that there's a possible Farscape movie in the works. The responsible movie execs want to see how Guardians of the Galaxy does before green-lighting it though. So even if a space raccoon with a machine gun wasn't enough reason, now everyone has to watch GotG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    I'm wondering though what it would have as a plot - the Peacekeeper Wars pretty much wrapped everything up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Source

Still in the script writing phase, and the first plot summaries that come out of this stage are never accurate.
    Who needs a plot, anyway?

We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Lego movie was surprisingly good. Not perfect, but pretty decent as these things go.

300; the rise of an empire. Really, there are better ways to waste your time and money. Story-line as slow as a slug on pot, and it sort of gave me the feeling they had glued together the scenes that hadn't made it into the original 300. Which I though was the bees knees.
    Congratulations America

The Grand Budapest Hotel; delightful.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    The Grand Budapest Hotel; delightful.
    Hadn't heard anything about this movie, until I walked past a small, local independent cinema yesterday evening, and it was advertised as showing there.

That's one heck of a cast ...

Last edited by Timbuk2; 03-15-2014 at 07:33 AM.

The Butler; thank god for my decision to watch this on my TV at home. I don't think I could have stayed awake watching it without other things keeping me busy.
    Congratulations America

Double feature at the drive in

1) Mr. Peabody & Sherman. Fun kids movie whoms plot seems focused around setting up the next one liner.

2) Need for Speed. Way WAY better than I was expecting. Some of the directing and editing seemed amateurish, but the stunts were great and the movie was full of little and large bits that they pulled from the video game series, I chuckled at a lot of those and was impressed Brandy picked up on the tree coverage bit towards the end.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Lego movie was surprisingly good. Not perfect, but pretty decent as these things go.
    Everything is Awesome!

I was also pleasantly surprised, I expected to be bored out of my mind when I took my son there.

Love places that ignore street dates

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Double feature at the drive in
    Wow, you still have drive-in theaters? I'm jealous.