Page 54 of 75 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,620 of 2244

Thread: What movie did you see today?

Watched Predestination, the movie based on "All You Zombies". It was good, though I think I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't read the short story. It's not a fast-paced movie, but I'd recommend it for anyone who doesn't mind sci-fi weirdness.

Entourage, the movie. Felt a bit like a long episode or a very short season. Either way; pacing was too slow to really enjoy it, but the stuff that worked in the TV-series roughly worked the same on the big screen.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    In line to see Jurassic world. Everyone seems to be expressing the same concern: "please dont suck"
    So didja see it? Worth a cinema ticket?

Broke the opening weekend record, taking more than $500m apparently. This summer's hype movie.

Certainly no end of marketing; London Waterloo station on my daily commute has been effectively taken over by Jurassic stuff, with a huge shipping container surrounded by four large Raptors as a centre-piece, marquees set up with special offers and competitions, many people dressed in ranger type outfits handing out leaflets, and Waterloo's giant 40m screen (Europe's largest LED) is showing constant trailers and movie specials.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

I've even noticed that national geographic is suddenly showing a lot of Dino programs here, though that's probably trying to hitch a ride on the success. But I'm also curious if I should see it.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

So Jurassic World and Lost World are now both officially Jurassic Park 2 in my mind JW doesn't really do justice to concept, perhaps because it has to cater to a new audience that doesn't gaf about the first movie, but it mostly avoids doing things that are just plain bad.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Did ya see it? Worth a visit to the cinema with their crazy prices these days?

I almost only see movies at half-price, so yes

I saw Inside Out last night. It's fantastic, I highly recommend.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Watched Predestination, the movie based on "All You Zombies". It was good, though I think I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't read the short story. It's not a fast-paced movie, but I'd recommend it for anyone who doesn't mind sci-fi weirdness.
    Never read the story. Saw the movie a short while back and yeah, it's weird as hell. Interesting but I really didn't care much for it's central WTF concept.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    I saw Inside Out last night. It's fantastic, I highly recommend.
    Saw it too, liked it a lot. Funny and very original. Only the ending was a bit meh (predictable and kinda sappy) but overall I definitely recommend it!

..plus the cat thingy during the credits explains a lot

1. Mad Max 3D; very well done, I liked it a lot even though the end was a bit sappy.
    2. Grayscales; a not very surprising Chilean movie about a man (not quite) coming to terms with how his bi-sexuality interferes with his life as a family man.
    3. Jurassic World 3D; somehow this one didn't work for me. Too many cliché's, too predictable, but very very pretty. Take the children or something, and a book for yourself.
    Congratulations America

Saw Terminator: Genisys a couple days ago. I know a lot of the internet is shitting on it, but I liked it and thought it was well done. I do wish I could have avoided the spoilers though; I tried, but certain outlets started putting the spoilers in the titles of their articles on the movie.

I would have appreciated it a bit more if they showed Kyle's older brother, just to cannonize Sarah Connor Chronicles.

T:G was quite literally... alright. Adequate. Acceptable.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Age of Adeline; a fairly standard story about a woman who doesn't age. Don't quite understand why they worked with a voice-over. Otherwise not bad, but then again, nothing that has Michiel Huismans in it (half) naked can be totally bad.
    Congratulations America

Yeah, we liked Ant Man too!
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Saw Trainwreck with the missus, mostly because that was the only movie showing when we had time to go that wasn't awful. Eh, it was okay. I'm not sure I really like Amy Schumer's humor, but LeBron was surprisingly entertaining and them movie didn't totally suck. B-
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Jurassic World
    Humdrum, formulaic, clichéd and entirely predictable. Didn't care what happened to any of the characters. The plot was completely lightweight and silly. Even the CGI was average in this age of stunning visuals. The magic of the original can/will never be replicated.
    Had the lady grumbling at me afterward for suggesting we go see a movie instead of staying in the bar down the road.
    3/10

Inside Out
    Speaking of magic; loved this offering from Lasseter and the Pixar people. I really like the entire premise of the 5 emotions vying for control, talking and arguing, and how their actions drive what the character does/thinks/feels. Very clever in how the story was assembled. And genuinely moving in that unexpected way only Pixar seems capable of. A few bits were perhaps a little childish and silly, but the film is aimed primarily at the kiddy-winks after all.
    8/10
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 07-27-2015 at 12:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Kids and mom have pretty much flipped opinions from you on the same two movies.

I didn't see Inside Out, but I enjoyed Jurassic World, but the trailers did give away too much of the movie and it was to easy to pick who was and wasn't gotten to die. Worried that Jurassic World 2 is going to try to redo the original failed Jurassic Park 4 concept of human/dino gene splicing.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Theatre movies are often over-rated and over-priced. I don't mind spending dollars taking kids to the theatre, if they come out feeling like it was a better experience than waiting for the internet version at home.

Just saw The DUFF! Likeable highschool romantic comedy with good script and a good cast. It kinda feels incomplete, but the humour's good and both Amell and Whitman are really just so damned... likeable... and the flaws are more than overshadowed by their chemistry.

Saw Rogue Nation tonight. I gotta say, though I hate the title and am also sick of hearing Swedish in every goddamn' action movie, it was my favourite movie so far in the series and a hundred times better than Ghost Protocol. Perfectly paced, well-directed, good cinematography, fairly solid performance from the cast, good villains, decent twists, the right amount of humor and it nailed the best aspects of the MI movies. I was a little worried it would mostly be a vehicle for showcasing Cruise's abs and Rebecca Ferguson's legs but the script mostly did the actors justice and they returned the favor. Ferguson is one of my longest-lasting celebrity crushes and this was the first role and movie of hers that I've really liked. There were some moments when I was like WHY but that just comes with package I reckon

Anyway, solid action flick, if you like those I can recommend it. As always, don't pay full price if you can avoid it.

I finally got around to Inside Llweyn Davis (sorry, Flixy, I actually do add your suggestions to my list), and I'm not that far in yet, but the entire cat on the subway bit is up there with my favorite scenes in any movie.

And now I finished it, that was pretty great. Also, I need to own the soundtrack.
    Last edited by littlelolligagged; 08-09-2015 at 03:50 AM.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

The soundtrack is excellent, but unfortunately only a few songs are on Spotify. And yeah the cat scene is pretty cool

Mr. Robot has two Swedish actors, one in a key role.
    Hope is the denial of reality

I saw "Man from UNCLE" this last weekend, and wasn't impressed. I grew up watching the series on TV, so that probably makes a difference. But I don't think the movie will stand on its own like Mission: Impossible did, even for audiences who didn't see that on TV first.

Seems to me that movie producers are trying to figure out how to use fairy tales, novels, comic strips, or TV shows and movies from the past by using "new technology" to attract viewers. The story lines remain the same, they just change shape as technology advances.

Paying extra for an IMAX experience is totally worth it for nature documentaries, but not so much for 3-D movies. Not yet, anyway.

Re. IMAX and 3D, I generally feel that no movie is worth seeing in 3D but also that, for a movie to be worth seeing in 3D, it should be seen in IMAX 3D. And for that you need something truly spectacular or at the very least decent. Obviously MFU isn't such a movie but since I always pay half price for my tickets that's not a problem latest MI was a more satisfying film in many ways, but I think I basically just liked the characters more in MFU. The ginger and I both saw MFU on TV while growing up, her more than me. She liked the movie even more than I did. I really think that a movie experience can be influenced by things like how much you had to pay, how much of a hassle it was and how the evening was in general. We live a comfortable 15 mins (stroll) from the movie theatre and pay half price so it was basically no inconvenience and the cost was comparatively low.

If you watched MFU or Mission Impossible on TV while you were growing up, you were likely watching re-runs. Another example of producers trying to capitalize on old shows for new audiences, using new technology.

Disney is good at that. No wonder they bought creative groups and made them subsidiaries of the larger corporation.

I'm not convinced that Disney and its subsidiaries makes better movies....

I mentioned that because for you part of the reason why the movie was disappointing was because you'd followed the show while that was an important reason why we enjoyed the movie, ie. experiences will differ.