Page 55 of 75 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,650 of 2244

Thread: What movie did you see today?

I know what you mean. That's how Disney turned dreams into expectations.

wat
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Pitch Perfect 2: fun, simple, decent music, def. feelgood. Brittany Snow, Anna Kendricks and Elizabeth Banks in the same movie and obv I haven't grown out of my celeb crushes because I was like *SQUEE*. Well, a little. Unfortunately, this one is musically disappointing and actually racist. Not like with a wink and a nudge, just dumb--like it was written by lazy racist dudes pandering to a dumb audience. I enjoy comedy that riffs off of racial and ethnic issues when it's done well, but this was offensive on another level because it was lazy and dumb. It's more annoying now than it was in the first movie. I loved the scenes with Keegan-Michael Key though. Very disappointed by how very little screen-time Pentatonix got. Barely a little more than the birthday boy in the first scene

Pentatonix got a contract for commercial advertisements, so don't feel so bad about their screen-time.

Why would I want to see them in commercials rather than in a fun movie? That makes no sense

Modern "marketing" of movies has little or nothing to do with quality or excellence. Some of my best movie experiences have been late at night, and quite accidental, while watching "preferred" selections made by a network like TCM.

What bothers me now is that my (young adult) sons don't want to watch "old" movies filmed in black-and-white.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Modern "marketing" of movies has little or nothing to do with quality or excellence.
    Neither did marketing in the past though.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Fury Road.

Fury Road.

Fury Road.

Wow that was good.

What a great scene:

Probably because the purveyors of crappy movies have figured out that they can stay in business by making so-so movies as long as they market them properly. Don't think anyone should be judged for not wanting to see B&W movies though, not as long as there are equally good alternatives. Different strokes etc

TMNJ. Worse than expected.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

I watched "Lolita" on TCM. It was a great movie, but it made me sick at the same time, knowing we haven't made much progress since then.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    TMNJ. Worse than expected.
    Agree, at least we watched it in the Drive In...
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    I watched "Lolita" on TCM. It was a great movie, but it made me sick at the same time, knowing we haven't made much progress since then.
    Eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Boyhood
    Another of Richard Linklater's extremely lengthy projects involving the same actors, this time filmed over 12 years, as they age in real time. Narrative is on a boy whom we watch grow up, from young boy through adolescence into young adulthood and college. Slightly chaotic parents acted by Ethan Hawke (whom also acted in another of Linklater's realtime projects) and Patricia Arquette.
    Pedestrian in pace, the movie drifts languidly along as we follow the arc of the characters' lives, who are all very real and likeable, if not particularly remarkable. Can't help but have a warm, fuzzy glow at the end as the titles roll. Watching actors age in real time over a 90-minute movie is an intriguing concept. Just the sort of quirky film I really like.
    7.5/10

Interstellar
    Oh dear.
    "Love ... is actually quantifiable!"
    No. No it isn't.
    The first half of the movie was building sort of ok. The second half was a mish-mash hopscotch of supposed profundity which left me wanting to throw things at the screen. Had a feeling Bay dipped his toes into Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey and wanted to recreate that similar feeling of awe and wonder ("oh my God! It's full of stars!"), but failed utterly. Where Kubrick succeeded was that 2001 was utterly bleak and desperate and final. Interstellar should have been. Instead we get the ridiculous happy American ending via all sorts of nonsensical and idiotic contortions to reach it.
    4/10
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 09-03-2015 at 08:43 AM.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Straight Outta Compton

Loved it

Oh, I want to see that one
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Same.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Boyhood
    Another of Richard Linklater's extremely lengthy projects involving the same actors, this time filmed over 12 years, as they age in real time. Narrative is on a boy whom we watch grow up, from young boy through adolescence into young adulthood and college. Slightly chaotic parents acted by Ethan Hawke (whom also acted in another of Linklater's realtime projects) and Patricia Arquette.
    Pedestrian in pace, the movie drifts languidly along as we follow the arc of the characters' lives, who are all very real and likeable, if not particularly remarkable. Can't help but have a warm, fuzzy glow at the end as the titles roll. Watching actors age in real time over a 90-minute movie is an intriguing concept. Just the sort of quirky film I really like.
    7.5/10

Interstellar
    Oh dear.
    "Love ... is actually quantifiable!"
    No. No it isn't.
    The first half of the movie was building sort of ok. The second half was a mish-mash hopscotch of supposed profundity which left me wanting to throw things at the screen. Had a feeling Bay dipped his toes into Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey and wanted to recreate that similar feeling of awe and wonder ("oh my God! It's full of stars!"), but failed utterly. Where Kubrick succeeded was that 2001 was utterly bleak and desperate and final. Interstellar should have been. Instead we get the ridiculous happy American ending via all sorts of nonsensical and idiotic contortions to reach it.
    4/10
    I expected/hoped to like Boyhood, but I in the end I just liked the concept. As a piece of cinematography and storytelling it was a very long blaahhhh.

Also, I don't think Michael Bay made Interstellar...

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Also, I don't think Michael Bay made Interstellar...
    Holy shit. Where did I get that from?

So far hearing great things about that one...can't wait for it to be available for rental.

Meh, the movie's content isn't new, but the special effects might be. I've noticed that cable channels are running "The Martian" adverts alongside Matt Damon's other SyFy movies. Sorry, but showing Elysium every other day won't make we want to watch The Martian.

san andreas

worthy action flick. no replay value, but it was worth the 2 hours to watch.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Saw Real Steel tonight. It. Was. Awesome. I think even GGT might like it if she can deal with robot-boxing. People shouldn't see the trailer, even though it's a good trailer. The movie's good enough to just watch without any previewing

Saw What We Do in the Shadows yesterday. It was pretty hilarious in a weird understated kinda way. I liked it more than Eagle vs. Shark which was awesome but too awkward for my taste.

Oh yeah, also saw Source Code. It was pretty solid even though you had to see Jake Gyllenhaal's stupid face like all the time felt v short but still complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Eh?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolita_(1962_film)

I saw another old movie on TCM that left me with the same feeling -- a good movie whose story line is sadly repeated longer than it should. They cast real patients, not actors (which would be controversial in today's world) and listed them in the credits as "The Children". It was probably a poignant movie in 1963, but in 2015 it becomes tragic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Child_Is_Waiting

Reading that summary, with the disagreements between producers/writers/actors reminds me of the same shit between researchers/doctors/patients. Art imitating life?
    Last edited by GGT; 10-25-2015 at 03:56 AM.

Chef - simple feelgood movie for people who live on the internet and who love food. Final act kinda weird.

[i]About Time[i] - Longish movie about awkward Brit who learns that the men in his family can travel back in time at will. Some aspects of the plot are ethically kinda suspect but all in all pleasant and enjoyable movie about people mostly being nice to each other. I liked it a lot

Mean Girls - So I'm a bit late to the party but whatevs. It was fun even though something felt a bit off about it

I liked Chef too, minx. Saw Burnt with my son the other night, it was just an "okay" theatre movie -- might have liked it more if we'd seen it on Netflix. Funny how the price of a movie can impact opinion that way.

It makes sense, you'd feel ripped off by a mediocre movie if you had to pay for full price tickets that's why I always go for half-price tickets. That being said, some movies are just better on a big screen with excellent sound than they are in front of my computer.

Saw Warm Bodies today. It's the best zombie movie I've seen since Shaun of the Dead, and I thought I'd hate it because I get annoyed every single time I see Hoult's stupid face

You're right, "mediocre" movies can be quite successful on the small screen, and don't even need to play the big-screen box-office game.

<<One of the best 'foodie' movies was Spanglish -- I still remember that sandwich the chef (Adam Sandler) made at home during his time-off from his restaurant, awaiting restaurant rater reviews.>>

For anyone who likes mysteries, suspense, and supernatural creepiness (without the blood and gore of modern "horror" movies)....check out the 1945 film Dead of Night.

Spectre; bleh.
    Congratulations America