Page 57 of 75 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,710 of 2244

Thread: What movie did you see today?

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    My library teens and I watched this for our books to movie pick a few months a go. They really enjoyed it and I got a kick out of Tom Cruise playing a role that wasn't a prebuilt badass agent. The ending caused enough discussion that I had to do some fan research into how the ending worked.
    Out of curiosity.....does your library group also watch "old movies" that didn't originate from books? I've found TCM is a good source for thematic movies, regardless of the star actors.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047680/
    Last edited by GGT; 01-22-2016 at 03:52 AM.

I've gotten away with Rocky cause a few had a project to do on it. San Andreas because I connected it to science and shit (even paused when they showed how the fault shifted horizontally and vertically) but everything else has been tied back to a book.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Goosebumps

Horrible and irritating acting, with a "twist" that any fan (my middle daughter called it before I did) could tell was coming. We even called the ending.

The dummy was good though, the dummy out acted everyone.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Kramer vs Kramer. Hard to believe that was made in 1979 when the emotions are still the same in 2016.

I'm watching The Deer Hunter now. One of my favorite movies that I love to hate.

Deadpool. Was funny but a weebit too long.
    Congratulations America

Deadpool. Christ does it hurt to admit that Fox did something right for once. They did it SO right. Movie was everything I was expecting plus some.

Deadpool. Prolly our fave super-hero movie so far. The ginger and I were laughing our asses off the whole time didn't really like Colossus or Gina Carano's character all that much but enjoyed pretty much everything else. Want to see more movies like this.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Btw I'll let you guys in on a little secret that none of our RL-friends know: the proposal scene was almost identical to ours

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Deadpool. Prolly our fave super-hero movie so far. The ginger and I were laughing our asses off the whole time didn't really like Colossus or Gina Carano's character all that much but enjoyed pretty much everything else. Want to see more movies like this.
    Agree the show was amazing. That being said I loved Colossus. Set up so many great lines - hilarious.

Hail Caesar! Intelligently funny. I really loved it enough to consider seeing it a second time.
    Congratulations America

Just watched the original Sin City. I loved it. Oh, I had quibbles - the story itself was a bit meh and I didn't feel invested in it all that much. But that pales in comparison to how much I loved the look and feel of the movie. The visual palette was fantastic, and I love this updated noir genre. There were some overly digitized bits, but overall I thought it was superb.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Just watched the original Sin City. I loved it. Oh, I had quibbles - the story itself was a bit meh and I didn't feel invested in it all that much. But that pales in comparison to how much I loved the look and feel of the movie. The visual palette was fantastic, and I love this updated noir genre. There were some overly digitized bits, but overall I thought it was superb.
    I totally agree.

For me it was the Danish girl today. Good movie though I still have my doubts about the protagonist.
    Congratulations America

I've seen a lot of movies.....and my favorites weren't necessarily Oscar winners. I've been trying to get my kids, and any friendly adult, to watch any movie in a theater. (My sisters don't count.) I have no idea how the Oscar nominating committee makes their decisions. Or why it should make such a difference in the movie world.

Kung Fu Panda 3

It spoke to my inner millennial and was also funny, beautiful, moving, exciting and just plain enjoyable. God I love these movies <3

It wasn't as good as the previous one though. Too chicken to let really good moments play out properly, choosing instead to release tension prematurely with jokes and gags. Still really fun though and Oogwai, Sifu and Tigress remain some of my favourite animated characters

Kinda lame how they made certain groups the butt of lame jokes for cheap laughs and I think it would have been better if it had been a little less American and a little more influenced by Chinese martial arts movies.

Saw Zootopia today with the family...we love the sloths.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Only 10 years late... Sin City. Interesting movie, not sure I liked the several stories in one show though.

The Revenant was very good. The sound and film crews should have gotten awards, along with wardrobe and set design. The lighting was beautiful, too. We noticed that parts of the film showed breath and blood marks on the camera, to great effect.

Went to two film festivals in Spain last week where the film I worked on was also shown (Reus and Barcelona). In barça they had English subtitles too, but in Reus ended up seeing, for example, a croatian dialogue heavy film with catalan subtitles

Oh, if anyone live near Athens, Ohio, the film I worked on is playing there in April, and it already won a festival in Florence, alabama
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

10 cloverfield lane. Pretty good, if you ignore some small plot holes.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

So I finally got around to seeing American Hustle after putting it off for almost three years... and I loved it.

I don't much like Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Jeremy Renner or Robert de Niro but enjoyed each of their performances. Amy Adams was solid. Plot was decent, direction was excellent and the soundtrack was dope.

I don't much like Christian Bale
    Get out.

One of my friends got to see Civil War in Vegas already (theater convention).

Bastard.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Zootopia - good idea, competent execution, tailored esp. for younger millennials and checks off all the boxes for a blockbuster feelgood animated comedy with important messages. Enjoyed it overall but it felt too polished and deliberate, like someone'd decided to try to combine the strengths of all similar smash-hits from the past five years. To me, it felt like one of those solid movies with tried-and-true plots and dependable all-star ensemble casts brought together for the purpose of making a movie that doesn't suck. I loved the visuals and esp. the visual humor as well as the cameos and the throwaway gags. The soundtrack was very disappointing. I guess this is what they call "damning with faint praise"? I did like it though.

Mr. Right - I expected to be entirely underwhelmed by this romantic action-comedy about a messed-up former hitman's whirlwind romance with a messed-up but cool girl against the burning and blood-spattered backdrop of a worlde gonne madde and a one thousande cartoonish villains. At first blush, this movie has no reason to exist and it's been panned by critics. We've already had Grosse Pointe Blank, Smokin' Aces, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Killers, Shoot 'Em Up and a dozen more movies with similar plots, themes and tone. But the ginger and I loved this movie. Sam Rockwell is as likeable as always, Anna Kendricks delivers one of her best performances ever as winsome messed-up millennial T-Rex (yes, T-Rex) with a great attitude, Tim Roth does his thing well apart from a painful sequence featuring an incredibly grating southern accent, and the supporting cast is solid albeit a little cartoonish. There is a slight comic-book-y feel to the movie but they decided to forgo the increasingly popular excessive ultra-violence as well as to keep the unbelievable assassin-tricks at a reasonable level. Most importantly, Rockwell and Kendricks have great chemistry. It's not revelatory, and it has its flaws, but it was just the right kind of movie for a tipsy date-night at home with the missus ymmv.

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    One of my friends got to see Civil War in Vegas already (theater convention).

Bastard.
    We're seeing it next wednesday!! Sucks that they're delaying the proper US release.

Zootopia is the only movie my kids have asked to see twice. Even over the new jungle book.

Little millennials

Midnight Special

Was nothing special.

So I saw Civil War today

Awesome things:

- Excellent action, esp. fight-choreography. This movie sets a new standard for superhero-movie action.

- Great supporting cast, esp. Sam & Redwing, Scott and a certain someone (you know who) Clint and Wanda were great too.

- Portrayal of relationships between all the characters.

- Ant-Man. Yes, he gets another mention for being awesome. The other guy as well.

Okay things:

- Script, esp. wrt the different ways of looking at the movie's take on the Superhero Registration Act

- Black Panther

- Vision

- Airport-scene was very cool but the setting was just so extremely dull.

Disappointing things:

- Didn't come close to reaching the bar set by Winter Soldier for proper build-up of and use of suspense and dramatic tension.

- Intro was simultaneously cool and a little boring.

- Everything that was intended to be funny was funny, but some of it was poorly timed (esp. disappointing in combination with the problems with suspense-building).

- Mid-credits scene was kinda crappy. Final post-credits scene kinda made me squee

- No Nick Fury.

Things that sucked:

- Shaky-cam (really did a disservice to the excellent fight-choreography). This was just the worst.

- Daniel Brühl

Most squee parts:

- Trip to
    Spoiler:
    Queens

- That part with the guys in the car

Biggest problems:

- Too many characters for one movie.

- Lacking (imo) in suspense and tension.

- Not a very compelling villain. Common problem in MCU and in this case it could have been mitigated by turning up the dials a little on the hero-vs-hero storyline.

- Excellent action, esp. fight-choreography. This movie sets a new standard for superhero-movie action.
    You can thank the John Wick directors for that. Those guys get it.