Page 58 of 75 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,740 of 2244

Thread: What movie did you see today?

The original Fast and Furious movie is coming back to theaters on June 22nd, at least in the US. Can't pass that one up.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Warcraft - decent and fun. Will appeal more to genre fans closer to the casual end of the spectrum than to a mainstream audience. Would've been better as a high-budget TV-series. Good casting, good visuals (characters as well as effects), good action, nice soundtrack. Would've enjoyed it more if fewer of the protagonists had been baby-faced or, esp. in the case of Lothar, just annoying. At the same time, some of the things I disliked have already begun to grow on me.

X-Men: Apocalypse - had extremely low expectations and was happy to find that I enjoyed it more, on the whole, than the previous two movies featuring this cast. Even so, about half of it was either forgettable or outright sucky. Much of the dialogue was esp. bad, with only McAvoy and Peters managing to transcend the limits of the mediocre writing.

Fassbender has either chosen--or been forced--to go down the same route as Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale, with his later scenes featuring a great deal of painful melodrama and even one instance of a single solitary tear falling from his eye.

Oscar Isaac's Apocalypse was fairly uninspired and not particularly menacing. Not his fault, I reckon. Lawrence as Mystique remains unsatisfying although I guess opinions differ on the matter. Sophie Turner's Jean Grey was... well, it wasn't all bad, but mostly so. The guy playing Scott was appropriately douchey I guess Nightcrawler was all right. Storm was wasted. Psylocke was just so. much. facepalm. Angel was surprisingly compelling for being a character with almost no lines, very little screen-time and an abundance of lameness. Of the Horsemen, I think I liked his portrayal the most.

The standout performances were by Evan Peters as Quicksilver (not only limited to his show-stealing scene that almost topped the one from DoFP. Made me forget Aaron Taylor-Johnson's misfire from Ultron) and Tómas Lemarquis as Caliban.

Visuals were meh. Makeup was meh (esp. for Beast and Mystique). Action (what little we got) was meh. Scenes of global destruction were abundant and almost more provocatively underwhelming (as in, so underwhelming that it almost makes you mad) than they were in Man of Steel. Pacing was off and some excellent scenes were either unnecessary or poorly timed.

Negativity aside, it's worth seeing on the big screen, and those who really liked DoFP may like this one almost as much. It's just that this story has been dealt with far better in other media, including the kiddie-version in X-Men: Evolution. This movie would have been better if they'd slashed most of the disaster-footage and invested screen-time and money on more and better dialogue. I guess some of the things that frustrated me about the movie may have been the result of decisions made during the editing process and perhaps the Director's Cut will be better, but I honestly think that several people dropped the ball wrt the script. Gonna crawl off somewhere and hide now

PS. The intro was pretty cool
    Last edited by Aimless; 06-01-2016 at 03:11 PM.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I have a very similar take on X-Men: Apocalypse. Went in with low expectations. While those expectations weren't greatly exceeded, it was a pretty entertaining movie. There's one review of the movie that calls it an extended version of the '90s cartoons, and I think that's spot on. The villain was super-powerful and wanted to destroy the world, just because. Most of the X-Men lack motivations of their own and act as a team (one reason the Avenger movies constantly do better than the X-Men ones). Magneto, who was good in the first two movies, was just too melodramatic in this one. Quicksilver stole the show. Each scene he was in was great. The Professor did a fairly good job. Angel was good when he was on screen, which wasn't much. Same for Caliban. At the opposite side of the spectrum, Psylocke was awful. No idea why she was even in the show.

The intro was one of the best scenes of the movie, though having a Latin hymn there was slightly distracting considering the events were taking place in ancient Egypt.

The action scenes were passable, though the final fight was somewhat disappointing. Given Apocalypse's power, I don't quite get why he didn't simply turn all the X-Men to dust. Jean's actions in that scene needed more foreshadowing. I don't want to say they came out completely out of nowhere, but there wasn't enough build-up. Those actions were probably even more confusing to those who haven't watched the cartoons.

The fact that the stars didn't age in these three films is kind of distracting. The first film took place 20 years before this one, and yet the new X-Men are only 5-10 years younger than the old ones. None of the characters noticeably aged. Mystique "teaching" the "kids" is kind of odd when Lawrence 6 years older than the "kid" actors.
    Hope is the denial of reality

I gave X-men an 8 out of 10. I agree that the action scenes should have been better. Mass destruction scenes are stupid. Show a family being killed by it to make it personal at least. Don't just level buildings and cars without an emotional impact.

I really felt like they tried to add too many mutants to it. Quicksilver also annoyed me, greatly. First his power is beyond stupid OP because it is not just moving fast (unless you completely ignore physics). Furthermore him not telling Magneto at a pivotal point where they might be able to get him to stop DESTROYING THE CIVILIZED WORLD he chickens out about telling him he's family? The hell? I don't have a problem with his acting just the absurdness of his abilities and his general stupidity.

Has some good comedy moments too and I did like the lengthy final battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Mystique "teaching" the "kids" is kind of odd when Lawrence 6 years older than the "kid" actors.
    She can be 90 and still look exactly the same. That's kind of her thing...

As an aside note...

http://www.cnet.com/news/fox-apologi...-being-choked/

"Movie studio 20th Century Fox apologized for images marketing its latest superhero movie, "X-Men: Apocalypse," following a social-media backlash claiming the studio was showing violence against women.

Promotional images on billboards, posters and trailers showed Jennifer Lawrence's character, Mystique, being choked by the movie's main villain, Apocalypse.

"In our enthusiasm to show the villainy of the character Apocalypse we didn't immediately recognize the upsetting connotation of this image in print form," Fox said in a statement. "Once we realized how insensitive it was, we quickly took steps to remove those materials. We apologize for our actions and would never condone violence against women.""

Why is the whole world gone full blown retarded? He's THE BAD GUY. And him choking someone is one of the LEAST bad things he actually did in the movie. Cannot believe Fox doesn't have a spine. If Trump actually wins it is because America is fed up with this pathetic fucking pandering.

Thanks to Tmobile I've an extra Warcraft movie ticket for this weekend that I can't give away. WTF. My friends are split into two groups 1)Warcraft? 2)Dude, I lost years to that game, that movie is going to suck
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth...
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Go see the movie and take whoever you can trick into going with you, it was surprisingly fun and free is good.

I'm not particularly interested in it but if I had free tickets I'd go. Hell, I went to season of the witch because I had free tickets, there's no way that this movie could be worse than that
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Go see the movie and take whoever you can trick into going with you, it was surprisingly fun and free is good.
    Oh I'm totally going and my warcraft knowledge ends at WC3 and the books that were published more than a decade ago. Its just that I ended up with to many free tickets cause of my family plan phones.

Wish they would have been so liberal with the stock they are giving out.

Big WC fan, and the movie sounds better than it has any right to be being a movie based on a computer game, but I would have to spike the other half's drinks with rohypnol and carry her in unconscious in order for her to be there, and I ain't goin to the theatre alone so ...

... a few months until it comes on teevee.

Def. see it on the big screen, I think it will be underwhelming on TV... just tell her you'll let her do that thing she's always wanted to do and you've been afraid to

Already making a list for next year.

The Nice Guys - First third was a little rubbish, remainder was pretty fun. Black's Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang has a very special place in my heart and I felt like Nice Guys had more than a passing similarity to that gem, but with far less heart and worse chemistry. It kinda felt like Black had been given a second shot at making the movie he really wanted to make, with more than three times as money, but then had to squander most of it on Gosling and Crowe. Each work reasonably well on his own, and both characters grow on you over the course of the film, but I didn't feel like they really clicked until somewhere near the end of the movie. I'm ambivalent about the precocious daughter, and some of the antagonists plain sucked. Loved the setting and the soundtrack. Coulda done without some of the gratuitious nudity. My whining aside, it was a lot of fun and def. worth seeing

Warcraft

There was a sheep. I understood that reference!
    I feel like the rest of the movie was stuffed full of little bits the fans of the series would catch, but I can wait for the "did you know" breakdowns that will come out in a few days.

My question is, in a land full of people who can't agree on anything to save their lives, armories stuffed full of weapons and killing devices, people who can sling magic, and larger than life beasts, why...

Does every single person have a god damn baby face like they are fresh out of high school?

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Warcraft

There was a sheep. I understood that reference!
    I feel like the rest of the movie was stuffed full of little bits the fans of the series would catch, but I can wait for the "did you know" breakdowns that will come out in a few days.

My question is, in a land full of people who can't agree on anything to save their lives, armories stuffed full of weapons and killing devices, people who can sling magic, and larger than life beasts, why...

Does every single person have a god damn baby face like they are fresh out of high school?
    I just saw it because somebody else got to pick the movie. It was better than my low low expectations. At least it wasn't as boring as the LOTR foreverilogy though everything seemed to hang a bit much on love at first sight.
    Last edited by Hazir; 06-15-2016 at 11:55 AM.
    Congratulations America

John Wick

Genuinely regret not having seen it sooner. Struck a perfect balance between ugly and gorgeous and, unlike most other movies in the genre, was carefully executed with a view towards restraint and class while still nailing that larger-than-life feeling. Casting was spot on for both main and supporting cast. Soundtrack was AWESOME. Fight-choreography and action v. satisfying. Me like

*Finally* saw The Force Awakens. Was pretty decent, I like how they kept the plot relatively simple.

Money Monster

Well it was entertaining, but I am not overly excited about it.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

The man who knew infinity. I don't really know why they made this movie. It was a bit of an after school special, but on the long side. And it became increasingly difficult to give a fuck as it went. Despite the sad end that was followed up with happy credits about recognition eternal.
    Congratulations America

The newest Star Trek movie, beyond or something. Looks spectacular, but spectacularly boring.
    Congratulations America

I liked it, to my surprise. It wasn't spectacular but was more even overall than the previous two. Antagonist was dumb. Felt like an extended tv-show episode.

IMAX would be so amazing if it weren't for the 3D that makes things darker and more dull than they need to be.

BFG. It was fantastic. Obv quite different from storytelling in modern children's movies but very pleasant. CGI was brilliant and the 3D enhanced the experience rather than detracting from it.

Suicide Squad

Potentially excellent but ultimately flawed movie that could have been as enjoyable as GotG and Deadpool if the fuckwits at DC hadn't decided to weigh it down with way too much cgi-laden crap and a whole lot of unnecessary Leto. Made parts of the movie disjointed in a bad way. If they'd cut 95% of the cgi-monsters and/or added 30-45 mins to the runtime it may have been better. Still, I liked it. Don't see it in 3D. Post-credits scene is, of course, related to Justice League.

Didn't they take it back into editing like two months ago to trim it by 30-45 minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Didn't they take it back into editing like two months ago to trim it by 30-45 minutes?
    Its disjointed because of the backlash from Batman v Superman. The higher ups freaked out and ordered a shit ton of reshoots to add some humor and tone down the grit. So of course all the humor came from none other than the Joker and we end up with a movie that feels like 2 movies mashed together.

I really hope the bluray release has a "as the director intended" version.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 08-04-2016 at 06:36 AM.

I'm glad they toned down their characteristic movie-destroying "grit". When it succeeds, this movie is cooler than most previous DC movies. But it is deeply flawed and I believe those flaws were in large part due to late decisions from on high.

The Joker doesn't provide much humor. The main cast has the potential to be funny but the writing and direction is so unfocused that the humor comes in brief, unpredictable bursts.