Page 59 of 75 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,770 of 2244

Thread: What movie did you see today?

My memory might just be off, but I thought I'd heard that the movie was clocking at over 2.5 hours, and one of the late changes from on high was to shorten it down closer to 2 hours. I was looking forward to Suicide Squad more than Batman v Superman - it's a shame it's getting such bad reviews. Poor DC, they can't seem to do anything right with their theatrical releases, and they just want to be Marvel so much.​​

Ghostbusters

Fuck the internet, I had a good time

Some problems with pacing and comic timing.

Most of the cast was good but Kate McKinnon stole the show.

I gotta admit, I'm really looking forward to a sequel... but I hope they get a different director.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Finally saw Batman v Superman, got the "Ultimate Edition" Bluray. Would normally have gone to the cinemas to see this but it didn't work with timings and a lack of a babysitter.

Went in with low expectations as I'd heard nothing positive about the film, although I'd managed to avoid spoilers. I actually enjoyed it. Sounds from what I've read since that this version is much better than the one released at the cinema and I was perhaps lucky not to have been able to make it first time around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Suicide Squad.

The reviews are right, its a mess of a movie. You can see how some suit upstairs wanted to turn the director's vision into the next GotG. Especially through the music. Great songs that didn't mesh well together or with the movie. Yeah I understand thats the whole point of the team and the movie, but damn. Movie was extremely easy to read. Wondering why a character doesn't have a horribly timed neck jerking flash back? Cause they're going to die!

What I don't agree with was the wave of feminazis complaining about Quinn's character. Quinn was written and portrayed perfectly, they managed to hit just the right note of balanced and calculated insanity.

DC doesn't have the time to build up their character cast with a decade of movies like Marvel has been, seeing how so many people are predicting 2018 as the year the movie industry will crash, but a solid ARG or marketing push would have filled everyone in all the oddities (the unicorn and diablo for example were never explained).

Still a fun movie, want to see it again to catch all the stuff they rushed in front of your face.

oh and the mid credits scene was the lamest yet.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 08-06-2016 at 12:19 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

From reading the reviews, this seems like yet another movie whose trailers include nearly every good scene in the movie. I'm amazed by how consistently DC manages to butcher its movies. How do you screw up all three so badly? How do you not learn any lessons from past mistakes? It's just mind-boggling. I was really looking forward to watching Suicide Squad, but definitely won't now.
    Last edited by Loki; 08-09-2016 at 02:23 PM.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Trailers include a lot of scenes that were cut too. Including the "I'll take water" "that's a good idea" conversation.

Comparing the first 3 movies for each universe DC seems more willing to try new things and give audiences a fresh idea. Yeah its painfully obvious the suits pussy out somewhere in production and we end up with a shell of a movie but do people really consider BvS or Suicide Squad worse than Hulk or Iron Man 2?

I really want a Quinn movie after seeing Suicide Squad. The way she was written and played, that type of depth I think went over a lot of people's heads.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 08-09-2016 at 02:42 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Pete's Dragon.

I was expecting something barely better than your standard Hallmark movie. I was pleasantly surprised to get a classic 90s era feel-good family Disney movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    From reading the reviews, this seems like yet another movie whose trailers include nearly every good scene in the movie. I'm amazed by how consistently DC manages to butcher its movies. How do you screw up all three so badly? How do you not learn any lessons from past mistakes? It's just mind-boggling. I was really looking forward to watching Suicide Squad, but definitely won't now.
    Could have been better but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Action scenes were great, Deadshot was great. Not overly impressed with Joker but Harley was fun as were some of the others too. Plot was thin but this is a Marvel/DC film - you're here for the action or you're doing it wrong.

EDIT: Incidentally... Assassin's Creed trailer looked amazing.

The two companies are light-years apart in terms of quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    The two companies are light-years apart in terms of quality.
    Marvel is better but not 'light-years' ahead. Y'all are too picky honestly. There are gradients apart from 'best thing ever' and 'worst thing ever.' The movie entertained, it did its job. Could it have been better? Absolutely but don't let your gripes prevent you from enjoying the content.

Pete's Dragon.

I was expecting something barely better than your standard Hallmark movie. I was pleasantly surprised to get a classic 90s era feel-good family Disney movie.
    Sounds like my kind of movie, even though I've come to doubt Disney movies.

Hope is the denial of reality

bridget jones baby

It sucks a little bit less if you pretend the one guy is still an active Kingsman.

That Bourne movie, it still sort of works. Even though you sometimes see the next twist from miles before.

Mike and Dave need wedding dates, it's silly, really silly, but it works. Though to be honest, any movie with a shirtless Zac Ephron does it for me.
    Congratulations America

You're sooooooooo predictable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Suicide squad. Horrible criticism, but I really enjoyed it. Criticism is not reliable.
    Despite of the fact I hated the soundtrack, I liked the movie enough to have it in my list to buy it.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

Jungle book

I wish I'd gotten to see it on the big screen

or at least with awesome sound

Jason Bourne

Greengrass's shaky realism style is way OTT for this sort of movie. What worked so well for United 93 and Captain Phillips does not work at all for a full-on action movie like Bourne. The shaky actions scenes flash in front of your eyes; they don't draw you in and involve you; instead they slap you around and push you away.

And the plot did not involve either. Maybe the Bourne franchise has gotten a little long in the tooth, I don't know, but I just didn't care what happened to him. Every new revelation about Bourne's history, every insidious twist concerning CIA's history with him, every encounter he has with agents past and present, was met with a yawn and a big deal.

Tommy Lee Jones just looks freakishly old these days and brought none of his past pizzazz.

The only breath of fresh air was the Swedish Alicia Vikander, but only because her slightly impish looks are utterly gorgeous to these eyes.

Bourne gets a 4/10 from me.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    The Dark Knight trilogy was as close to perfect as any superhero arc of movies has ever achieved. Way better than the Spiderman or Iron Man trilogies.

I think the problem DC has is that Dark Knight got praise for being more gritty than we were used to before then (in the same way as GRRM has changed fantasy) but DC have taken that overboard at the cost of some of the fun and the action. Besides not every superhero is meant to be as gritty as Batman.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

War Dogs, entertaining, that's all I can say. Exposing the ridiculousness of the weapons' trade without going totally over board.
    Congratulations America

Ghostbusters, I never saw the original, as far as I know, but I thought this remake was funny. I'm pretty certain some of the leads of the original appeared in it at different moments.
    Congratulations America

Finally saw The Grand Budapest Hotel and really enjoyed it. Not as many painfully awkward moments as in other movies.

And Ralph Fiennes was brilliant.

Almost forgot that yesterday I saw Ben Hur (the new one) which was quite satisfying even though they had really amped up the Jesus factor. And of course Julieta, a new movie from Almodovar, from which I took home the message that what happens in our lives matters a lot less than how we react to it.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    And Ralph Fiennes was brilliant.
    When is he not? I mean, seriously. Has he ever been bad in anything?
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    Wow, I had absolutely no clue that the man playing Gustave was also Voldemort and M.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    The constant gardener ?
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    The constant gardener ?
    Hmm, I've not seen it.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

He was ok in The Constant Gardener. No outstanding performance or anything. Though he was playing opposite Rachel Weisz so I may have been somewhat distracted