Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1151596061
Results 1,801 to 1,814 of 1814

Thread: What movie did you see today?

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    What I saw recently were La la land; absolutely loved it, seriously wellmade movie that even manages to make you think about life as you see it happen before you in technicolor.
    Yep, saw that in the cinema a couple of weeks back. I normally avoid musicals at all costs as they bring me out in a violent rash, but other half really really wanted to see it, and given that I love jazz and it was, from the male protagonist's perspective at least, about jazz, I thought I'd give it a shot. And I thought it was tremendous. Great fun, really hit the right spot.

~

Also saw The Lobster last week. Best I can describe it is; frustratingly, drearily, horribly, unsatisfyingly, emotionally-repressedly, distopianly weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    "Scientists raise alarm: bananas can cause EU"

Lucky Number Slevin

Hmm. There were parts about this film that I loved - the stylized crime story is always one I have a weak spot for. I loved some of the tricks they played visually and some of the sets, even if they were occasionally overdone. The ridiculous antagonisms and pseudonyms and over-the-top bad guys - definitely my cup of tea. And the actors were pretty damned good, too. My real issue had to do with the story and pacing. The beginning is deliciously ambiguous and entertaining and it really draws you in. The middle act is okay but starts getting tedious once it becomes clear what the big reveal is going to be (which is telegraphed way too early). And the final act is utterly lacking in surprise and needlessly drawn out.

This was neither a caper film (e.g. The Italian Job, the Ocean series) nor a noir mystery/crime film like The Usual Suspects or Pulp Fiction. It tried a bit too hard to be both and kinda failed. But I still loved parts of it. A solid B.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Saw Logan tonight

What a fucking glorious sendoff

I'm a little ambivalent about X-24 and also a little underwhelmed by some of the scenes in the woods. But overall I loved it. The acting and direction were better by far than they were in the previous Wolverine movies as well as the rebooted franchise. Everything was much more focused on the greatest strengths of the X-Men: complex characters and relationships, tragedy, man's capacity for cruelty and a whole lot of comic-book violence. At times it was a little too tragic, but embracing this aspect of the X-Men stories allowed Stewart and Jackman to shine and really do their characters justice.

Like every movie it has its flaws but this is the first modern X-Men movie I've really thoroughly enjoyed.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

GotG vol. 2. Some cheap gags, but makes up for it with a much more consistent script and a ton of heart. Almost every recurring character is better this time around. Love most of the new characters.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

Get Out; did I just see a movie about the ultimate blackface?
    Greece shows us that there is a kind of politician worse than the ones that break their election promises; the ones that keep their election promises.

I recently saw Hidden Figures with the wife. Hmm. Part of me wants to love the movie because, let's be honest, black female mathematicians at NASA in the 50s/60s is a fundamentally great story. My problem, though, is that Hollywood came along and fucked it up with a white savior storyline, an irrelevant love story, and a bunch of unnecessary and implausible drama. These lives are remarkable and impressive without embellishment, and I think they did a disservice by dolling it up with tired tropes.

Also, Janelle Monae is gorgeous.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

"Embellishment"? I guess that's one way of describing changes like the thing with the bathroom. The director's justification for that was almost as nauseating as the change itself.
    — Bill Gates

The director's justification for that
    expand

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    expand
    “There needs to be white people who do the right thing, there needs to be black people who do the right thing,” Melfi said. “And someone does the right thing. And so who cares who does the right thing, as long as the right thing is achieved?”
    #alllivesmatter #maga
    — Bill Gates

So the whole toilets scene was inserted (read: made up) by the director to show that white people are good too?

As far as I can tell, yeah.

The book states very clearly that Johnson “refused to so much as enter the Colored bathrooms,” and that nobody ever tried to make her do so.

To confirm this, I asked Johnson if she used the Colored bathrooms. “I just went on in the white one,” she said.
    — Bill Gates

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    So the whole toilets scene was inserted (read: made up) by the director to show that white people are good too?
    There's a more subtle critique as well IMO. The issue isn't just that 'white people are good too'; after all, you only need the white hero because the rest of the white people are racists - in reality, of course, I have no doubt that there was plenty of racism at NACA/NASA in the 50s/60s but that most people cared more about doing their jobs than anything else. The broader issue is that it strips black people of agency. In this (false) narrative, Goble/Johnson was a passive victim of vicious racism who needed a white man to come along and save her; in reality, she didn't give a shit about segregated bathrooms and just used the one most convenient for her, and damn the consequences. It speaks something much more profound about her strength of character (and, perhaps, about the baseline racial tolerance at NASA) than a made up story about her perseverance but inaction under persecution.

There were several other plot points that were similar (e.g. Vaughn becoming a supervisor) in that they simultaneously invented a white savior and reduced the agency of the black 'victim'. I get why it's a more satisfying story, perhaps, but that doesn't really excuse it. This story is awesome on its own, and throwing in these alterations in the name of narrative tension or whatever is inappropriate.

From a feminist perspective, I think that a similar critique could be leveled at the Goble love storyline. It is entirely irrelevant to the story - who cares if Goble is married or not? - and to some extent takes away from her achievements by framing them in the context of her finding a nice man and settling down. I'm hardly a militant feminist but I think this is a fair point.

Its an issue with almost every movie that touches on racism. Yet another problem with studios following their tried and true formulas for success. I remember seeing this when The Help came out.

Click to view the full version

Its also one of the few points that the convoluted mess known as Cloud Atlas was blunt about.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Its an issue with almost every movie that touches on racism. Yet another problem with studios following their tried and true formulas for success. I remember seeing this when The Help came out.

Its also one of the few points that the convoluted mess known as Cloud Atlas was blunt about.
    While I think the critique is valid for a lot of Hollywood stories, I'm not as offended by this kind of behavior when it's purely fictional - yes, it is typical Hollywood nonsense (as are many, many other tropes), and yes, it can be offensive, but it's just something that comes with the territory. But here there's an actual, real story about people who were extraordinary. To trivialize it in this manner is much more upsetting to me.

I also want to be clear here - even though there were parts of this film I didn't like, I thought it was a story that should be told and elements of it were great IMO. It wasn't an awful movie by any stretch of the imagination; it just failed in a particular manner where it should have been more thoughtful and sensitive to the difficult subject matter.

In a broader sense, our cultural encounter with historical persecution of any sort tends to be shaped around the narrative of the victim. We are encouraged to imagine ourselves in the victim's shoes and to realize that 'this, too, could happen to me'. That is not, in itself, too problematic. But the fact of the matter is that most people aren't victims, and aren't likely to ever be victims. By definition we aren't all the Other; even with arguments about intersectionality et al that makes a larger proportion of people different gradations of victim, it's still true that most of us don't really spend most of our lives as the Other.

Perhaps our culture should instead work on making us imagine ourselves as perpetrators. In most cases of vicious historical and contemporary persecution, there are depressingly few saviors. There are many more ordinary men and neighbors than there are extraordinary people of remarkable moral character. We should try to understand history in that context, not imagining ourselves as either the aggrieved victim or the rare crusader for good.