Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1757656667
Results 1,981 to 1,989 of 1989

Thread: What movie did you see today?

Finally saw Black Panther now that it's on Netflix. I guess my general response was 'meh'. I mean, I get why people were excited (a mostly black cast! An African country where the focus isn't grinding poverty and human rights abuses! Etc.). But ignoring all of the meta-commentary, the film itself was just okay. The main conflict is pretty weak, the technowizardry is fun but nothing spectacular. I guess it worked in the sense that Marvel is a well-oiled machine that can churn out special-effects laden blockbusters with semi-decent dialogue and plotting. But I wasn't really impressed - and that's despite some pretty good acting.

I guess that with all of the hoopla I was expecting a bit more. The film touches on some pretty big issues; the relationship between Africa and its diaspora, the level of responsibility of technologically advanced and wealthy countries to assist others, colonialism, etc. But it doesn't really dig into any of these issues with any level of sophistication. We're given a stark choice between the position of the 'good guys' and the comically evil position of the villain. When the 'good guys' come around to a different position in the end, we're not given any insight into how the (admittedly complicated) tradeoffs were weighed. If we're going to have a movie with a black cast that focuses unabashedly on issues of great importance to the black American and African communities, then let's lean into it rather than just using it as some window dressing for another action snoozefest.

Also, that's a super-stupid way to pick the superpower-enhanced leader of your country.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Finally saw Black Panther now that it's on Netflix. I guess my general response was 'meh'.

Also, that's a super-stupid way to pick the superpower-enhanced leader of your country.
    I had the same experience, more or less. Waited for Netflix, was expecting something extra-special because of the hype, was disappointed, despite it being a pretty good Marvel chapter. I am also mystified by how the king of Wakanda is chosen - easily the stupidest part of the plot, especially when the abandoned American, an obvious murderous criminal, shows up and challenges the king to fight for the throne. On what grounds would any king accept such a challenge? I thought it was stupid, and the plot from that point on consisted of completely obvious over-used tropes....
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Venom's getting pretty trashed in the early reviews. I feel a bit bad for Sony - they're sitting there watching Marvel churn out hit after hit based on the B, C, and D tier superheroes that nobody wanted to buy the rights for, including a blockbuster franchise about a tree and a talking raccoon. Meanwhile, they have the rights to some of Marvel's biggest and most popular characters, and they still can't make a movie people like without help from Disney.

Venom isn't particularly good. It's not horrible either but it is just not very good. It tries at Deadpool funny but it never reaches the parts that Deadpool did. And the action doesn't make up for it either.
    Greece shows us that there is a kind of politician worse than the ones that break their election promises; the ones that keep their election promises.

Night School.

It had its moments, but is rather forgettable
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Venom

not bad, extreme overuse of motion blur, extreme camera cuts, night and darkness to hide the subpar cgi budget. I was surprised they used so much comic book inspired screenwork (screen slicing and freeze frame shots) considering how poorly that was received with the early Hulk movie. Story kind of drags at points, but the action is good. Several comic book easter egg references that were nicely added but not forced.
    If they build on the Venom voice over concept for Venom 2 they could make a rather solid action comedy. That part of the movie didn't really shine till the end.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Venom was fun. Could of trimmed about 5 minutes in the early middle of the movie but overall it was enjoyable. Would like to see the next one get an R rating and go further.

I, Tanya. I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected - definitely recommend, especially if you're old enough to remember the events. The trailer gave the impression of a dark comedy, and so were my expectations set. Turned out to be a serious biopic, and the dark comedic parts not so much deadpan humor as what actually happened.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

I, Tonya you mean.

Yes a v good film, and an Oscar-winning one for best supporting actress for Tonya's mum; Allison Janney. Margot Robbie nominated for best actress as Tonya.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.