Page 70 of 75 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,100 of 2244

Thread: What movie did you see today?

The Family. It's a docu-drama limited series on Netflix based on the books written by Jeff Sharlet. I posted criticisms about the National Prayer Breakfast in other threads, but this takes it to a new level.

Very well done, watch it!

Fisherman's Friend. Bad fortune made this be projected in the cinema I was at yesterday. Don't bother. In a couple of years it will be on broadcast tv, probably between Christmas and New Year's. And you can have it on while doing something else.
    Congratulations America

I watched The Matrix. In a cinema. It still held up, but I am not so certain it would after another 20 years. The CGI had lost his luster.
    Congratulations America

Knives out. I am not certain if I can recommend this one. It was a bit like the makers couldn't decide if they wanted to make an Agatha Christie type of whodunit or a comedy of errors. Daniel Craig wasn't very well casted as the southern gentleman PI.

During this visit I also decided I will try to boycott British movies coproductions and TV series about either of the two great wars. The trigger was a trailer for yet another one of those.
    Congratulations America

American Son

Superb, with powerful performances from the two leads. Taken from a stage play of the same name with the same writer for both stage and screen. Translating reasonably well to the screen, I feel it would be better to see performed live. Nonetheless, it is extremely watchable. Out on Netflix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Richard Jewell

Fantastic movie. The guy who played Richard was bloody fantastic. Overall a great show.

Rise of Skywalker - solid visuals, potential for awesomeness but marred by unhappy actors, unusually bad dialogue, surprisingly disinterested direction, aggressive (and sloppy) editing, janky score. I don't know what happened with this movie but it looks like the product of a decidedly dysfunctional process. Suspect the director's cut or extended edition will be much better. Not garbage, visually better than tLJ, but wrt dramaturgy, much worse.

One positive thing though:

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Marriage Story. Adam Driver and Scarlett Johansson.

Ultimately disappointing.

Not very much / 10
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

The Gentlemen

An in-form Guy Ritchie delivers another stompingly brilliant caper. Great fun.

I saw Episode IX this weekend. Hmm. This is going to be a tough review. It's pretty damned spoilery so:

Spoiler:
    My biggest beef with the previous two episodes is that they were so consciously mimicking elements from Episodes 4-6 that they didn't bring much new to the party. The Force Awakens was pretty much a carbon copy of A New Hope with updated visuals; The Last Jedi had some new bits, but two extended scenes were well-executed remakes of the throne room scene from Return of the Jedi and the Hoth battle scene. It wasn't just a homage, it was, well, full on pandering. On this rubric, Rise of Skywalker was actually somewhat refreshing - there was a lot of derivative material and nudge/wink references, but little in the way of full-on copies. I walked out feeling like perhaps they were ready to move on from the baggage of the past.

And yet. There was still so much unnecessary bits tacked on just to make people happy. Lando's role was entirely superfluous, as was Chewbacca's. All of the Leia scenes were awkwardly stitched into the plot - you could see they were straining to make the cut scenes from The Force Awakens into something they could use and keep a coherent storyline. Even the Luke/Rey scene - following on from one of the most interesting parts of Episode VIII - seemed a little too trite and missing much of the narrative tension that had made that interaction interesting. It felt like we were being swaddled in a bunch of old Star Wars cameos to make us look past any flaws in the underlying story.

The story itself was okay, but nothing spectacular - lots of MacGuffins (random Sith treasure map, absolutely absurd knife thing, etc.), a lot of extraneous characters, and a lot of just-so coincidences. It wasn't as full of absurd plot holes as The Last Jedi, but it definitely had its issues. The whole 'short hyperspace jumps that magically end up in difficult to navigate places' was particularly egregious. I was also disappointed with the painfully short timeline they were given that was then promptly forgotten about by everyone involved. The plot was busy with lots of scene shifts but sometimes they didn't seem to move forward the story all that much (the whole bit at alien Burning Man was pretty useless). I'd give it a C+ or B-.

The real issues came with character development. Poe and Finn got throwaway love interests (possibly to kill the dreams of shippers?) who simply didn't move the plot forward one iota. We got some poorly explored backstory on Poe that came too late with too little context. Rose was pretty much excised completely - I didn't love her in The Last Jedi, but they could have done something interesting with her character, especially in the context of the implicit message at the end of the previous film about a popular uprising.

I liked the underlying idea of the Rey/Kylo Ren development arc - I don't really like Adam Driver in general and thought his performance in the previous two films was overly angsty, but I thought he really had some solid moments of brilliance showing his evolution - the look on his face when he gets the lightsaber from Rey was pretty fantastic. I liked where they were going with Rey's character - I hate the daddy issues Star Wars traffics in, and the conclusion from the previous film appeared to leave her unencumbered by a freighted past. I think she was a solid casting choice and they did a really good job by (a) making her a woman and (b) not pairing her up at the end. She does a good job at portraying vulnerability in a way that Mark Hamill only managed to portray as indecision. The complex Rey/Ren story was this close to being something really profound - but then they made it into yet another episode of 'there's a really really evil puppetmaster, let's get together and beat him and then kill off the morally complex redemptive character so as not to confuse the sense of victory'. Where did Rey have to really make a moral choice? She needed, at best, to be tough and resolved to do good, but I never really thought she'd succumb. There was no moment of shocked recognition, no violent self-hatred, no true quandry. I was left wanting.

In general, I thought the themes of the movie ended up being a little trite rather than profound. It's too simple to root for hope and the fundamental goodness in people when your opponents are cartoonishly evil. But what about the entire system that supported the Empire and the First Order? We see hints of it in the previous film, but then go back to blowing up the Really Bad guys in ships. There's hints of this in the discussion of conscription of children and spontaneous mutinies, but it's not borne out in any meaningful manner. This was an opportunity to add nuance and a new story to the Star Wars universe, and they blew it.

The writing was just okay. Some parts were too Disney (especially the slightly cringey Poe speech before the final battle), and other bits were just stilted. Not 'discourse on sand' Episode 2 garbage, but nothing like the snappy repartee in Episode 5. It seemed almost overburdened with what it was trying to do.

I'm not sure how I feel about the new Force abilities they developed here - stealing or giving life essence for healing, Force teleportation of objects through this odd Rey/Ren interaction (that apparently wasn't done by Snoke? What the hell is a dyad in the Force anyways?), etc. It opened some interesting narrative capabilities and allowed for an extended confrontation between the main characters, but it seemed at times to be too easy.

I will say, however, that the visuals in the film may have been the best I've ever seen in this franchise. There were a lot of startlingly beautiful scenes with absolutely perfect lighting and cinematography. The wave fight scene was gorgeous, some of the scenes on the Sith planet were pitch perfect, and the Rey/Ren telepathy scenes were really well done. If that's what $275 million gets you, it's worth it. I've seen some critique of J. J. Abrams on this score, and while I've groused about some of his cinematic choices in previous efforts (especially with the Star Trek reboot), I was pleasantly surprised here.

I'd give it overall a B. I walked out having enjoyed it more than either of the two previous installments of the trilogy, despite its flaws. I only hope that someone at Disney lets the next writers explore some new material.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Dora and the lost city of gold

One of the most fun movies I've ever seen. Having watched at least one episode and Dora and Deigo is required but holy shit I was not expecting a movie like that.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Saw Game Changers on Netflix. Extremely pop-sci, bit cultish, but very well-made what they need is to follow-up with a vegan cooking show.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Dora and the lost city of gold

One of the most fun movies I've ever seen. Having watched at least one episode and Dora and Deigo is required but holy shit I was not expecting a movie like that.
    We started watching it and then got distracted, have to give it another look

"Change in the Air". A bit slow in spots, but I wasn't looking for an action-packed movie anyway. Never mind the critic's comments about trying too hard for bird-references, I thought it was a lovely film.

Happened to see The Terminal on Netflix. Still as lovely as it was when I first saw it, sixteen years ago. Absolute gem.

Our Disneylife subscription became a Disney+ subscription yesterday with the launch of Disney+ in the UK - paid for an annual pass at a discounted rate so its cheaper than Disneylife was and gives much more content too, plus its integrated with our Sky Q box. The Disneylife app was quite crap technology wise and it was clear they'd cancelled all work on it to concentrate on Disney+

Had movie night with the children last night watching Inside Out. Showed Chloe (Five about to turn six) how to access the Disney app using the remote. Woke up this morning to Tangled playing (her favourite movie, she is very much a princess girl and Rapunzel is her favourite Princess). She'd turned the TV on and put it on herself. Her little sister isn't into princesses, but absolutely loves Toy Story, so with schools closed potentially for months I am going to guess there's going to be a fair amount of Disney/Pixar getting watched.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Find the shorts, especially the "Forky asks a question" series and Party Saurus.

Although for some reason Abby seems to like the emotional pixar shorts more
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

"Knives Out." The only drawback was Daniel Craig's foghorn-leghorn fake southern drawl, but it got mentioned in the movie, so....

Invisible Man, not particularly good. View it when it hits a screening service. It's not worth paying for like I did.
    Congratulations America

Find the shorts, especially the "Forky asks a question" series and Party Saurus.

The "friends" one is great.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Watched Parasite. It was good - very good. Best Picture of the year good? Maybe. I don't usually seek out Oscar winners based on winning Oscars, but I did see a trailer a few months back when my son wanted to go to a black and white showing in Ann Arbor (which we missed), and based on that it went on my list. Tbh, I think it won the Oscar as a minor fuck you to Trump xenophobia. And, iirc, president shit head complained that the best picture should have been an American made film, so Hollywood got a minor snicker I'm sure.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I hear Star Wars is bad?
    I thought it was pretty terrible. The last set of 3 were just a little less bad than the 3 prequels, when taken as a whole. It's amazing that one great film, the original Star Wars, followed up by a pretty damned good film, The Empire Strikes Back, and a somewhat crappy third, set the stage for this enormous franchise, which hasn't produced anything really good since that first sequel. Well, Rogue 1 was pretty good, IMO, but otherwise, garbage. Oh, and I thought the Solo film wasn't nearly as bad as the audience treated it....
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Not seen it today but excited as I have just seen an advert for Rise of Skywalker coming to Disney Plus on Star Wars Day. Should have guessed that would happen lol but didn't realise it was coming so soon.

Not seen it yet (not been to the cinema since my second child was born) so please no spoilers.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Emily (3, Toy Story mad) was laughing from start to finish through Partysaurus Rex!

I tried to watch 'Little Women', it's not working for me. The storyline is so chopped up that you barely know if you're seeing something happening in the present or a flashback. It's kinda boring.
    Congratulations America

Okay I think the London production of Hamilton is probably better than the American production

So you got Disney just to watch it?
    Congratulations America

The Old Guard. Closer to Highlander than a Marvel superhero movie. Not as high quality as the latter, but still a good movie, with a decent plot, and solid acting.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    The Old Guard. Closer to Highlander than a Marvel superhero movie. Not as high quality as the latter, but still a good movie, with a decent plot, and solid acting.
    You know? I really enjoyed it. Charlize Theron has a certain intensity of presence that was just perfect; I haven't watched nearly enough of her performances and I'm going to try to rectify that.

The plot wasn't particularly dramatic and I think they overplayed the 'do gooding immortals' a bit (and honestly? The 'bad guys' had a point, at least not the cartoonishly evil ones). But the action was really solid and intense in a way that you don't always get with CGI fests like the Marvel films. It didn't have quite the cinema verite/gritty feel of the Bourne type action, but it was still great. Reminded me a little bit of how Gina Carano (unsurprisingly) had really intense/believable fight scenes in Haywire.

I saw Knives Out with my wife a while back. I'll admit I didn't see all of the twists coming. Daniel Craig is a very, very odd choice IMO, but otherwise it was quite fun. I do think that the 'super eccentric wealthy family' story has been done to death, but seeing this through the lens of the help was a nice touch.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    You know? I really enjoyed it. Charlize Theron has a certain intensity of presence that was just perfect; I haven't watched nearly enough of her performances and I'm going to try to rectify that.

The plot wasn't particularly dramatic and I think they overplayed the 'do gooding immortals' a bit (and honestly? The 'bad guys' had a point, at least not the cartoonishly evil ones). But the action was really solid and intense in a way that you don't always get with CGI fests like the Marvel films. It didn't have quite the cinema verite/gritty feel of the Bourne type action, but it was still great. Reminded me a little bit of how Gina Carano (unsurprisingly) had really intense/believable fight scenes in Haywire.

I saw Knives Out with my wife a while back. I'll admit I didn't see all of the twists coming. Daniel Craig is a very, very odd choice IMO, but otherwise it was quite fun. I do think that the 'super eccentric wealthy family' story has been done to death, but seeing this through the lens of the help was a nice touch.
    My main issue is that the time between major plot points occasionally lacked both witty banter (Marvel) and suspense. A little more polishing wouldn't hurt. The medium-sized budget also meant that the filming locations were ok, but not great. Those are issues a little bit of experience and a larger budget (for the sequels) should be able to fix though.