Thread: What movie did you see today?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ready Player One

Way better than what the critics are saying. Its full of throwbacks, but they compliment rather then hinder the film. I suspect I'll be using my moviepass to see it at least once more.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Ready Player One

Way better than what the critics are saying. Its full of throwbacks, but they compliment rather then hinder the film. I suspect I'll be using my moviepass to see it at least once more.
    I read the book, and wasn't impressed. It was too ... kiddy ... too much like it was written by an excited teenager.

Yet the movie is getting great reviews. Might be one of those rarest of occasions that a movie is better than the book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    I read the book, and wasn't impressed. It was too ... kiddy ... too much like it was written by an excited teenager.

Yet the movie is getting great reviews. Might be one of those rarest of occasions that a movie is better than the book.
    I didn't even know there was a book, but I thought the movie was entertaining enough. The cultural 80s references were a little bit odd in the time the story played, however, may just about have been relevant to the instigators of the 'adventure'.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I didn't even know there was a book, but I thought the movie was entertaining enough. The cultural 80s references were a little bit odd in the time the story played, however, may just about have been relevant to the instigators of the 'adventure'.
    They were the hipsters of their generation
    Seriously though the story does try to explain this in 2 fashions, one of which you picked up on. In the beginning its explained that people just stopped trying, which would explain the lack of creative innovation (and the dilapidated state of pretty much everything in the real world); and the story revolves around a group of gunters, whos entire purpose is understand the mind of a man who grow up in and loved the 80s, that type of dedication is bound to wear off on you.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 04-05-2018 at 03:58 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

A quiet place; a movie with so little dialogue that it could almost have been a silent movie. Entertaining thriller that sometimes dips a toe into gory horror but never goes too far. John Krasinski director and in the lead, opposite Emily Blunt. I like both of them a lot, though probably John just that little bit more
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post

The book isn't literature, to be sure. And to be fair, it is young adult fiction, so if it seemed kiddy, that might have something to do with it. My son insisted that I read it and there were SO many references in it that came literally right out of my childhood, I did find it an engrossing experience. For example, I have that Tomb of Horrors AD&D adventure module in a box in my basement. But the movie did not have anything like that kind of magic for me, with pretty much all those super esoteric bits removed. It was just okay.

EDIT: Saw Three Billboards over the weekend. I liked it a lot.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)