Page 51 of 75 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 2244

Thread: What movie did you see today?

John Wick

a quality and extremely enjoyable action movie. The writing and back story is the best. The extremely simple way they framed how big the main character is with that mob boss phone call... perfect.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    That one's currently got 86% on Rotten Tomatoes. Nice to see that Reeves finally got a role in a decent film once more
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

I took the kids to see Big Hero 6 last night. It was cute but I guessed the entire plot ten minutes in, except one rather dark moment when the hero realizes who the villain really is. Not sure why Rotten Tomatoes gives it 91%. I'd say it's a 3.5/5.0 star movie at best. Well, I guess I am sure, actually. Rotten Tomatoes is the proportion of up vs down critic votes, so mine would be an up. Not sure how someone reviewing it in context of it's genre could give it a down vote...
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/big-hero-6 Metacritic is useful in differentiating above average movies from really good ones. Also, you want to watch out for movies that have a substantially higher critic score than user score - it suggests that the movie is more "arty" than interesting.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    It was cute but I guessed the entire plot ten minutes in, except one rather dark moment when the hero realizes who the villain really is.
    Going off of just the trailers. The "dead" brother?
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    August; Osage county. Very strong movie, very strong indeed. Too bad it probably is considered a chick flick. Meryl Streep should simply have her own category at the Oscar's and get one of those damned statuettes once a year.
    Finally got to see it last night.

Agreed, excellent movie. Streep is irrepressible, she really is. However, I think in this one rare instance she was outshone by someone else; Julia Roberts, who put on the performance of her lifetime here.

Yes it is a movie centred around a matriarch and her relationship with her three daughters, with the men in the movie really just so much background noise, I hope it would not be considered chick-flick popcorn inanity. It certainly is not.

I also think this is one of those movies which would translate well onto the stage.

Also, considering this is a very American movie, set in the deep mid-west, strange to see a smattering of Brits; with Ewan McGregor and Benedict Cumberbatch both making an appearance.

I haven't seen the movie, but it shouldn't be considered "strange" to see Brits or Aussies making stage appearances

Well, changing accents can go bad (which can also be very funny ), so it's not that logical to have a brit play an American (and vice versa). But not that uncommon either, and Benedict Cumberbatch and Ewan McGregor aren't exactly lightweights either.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Going off of just the trailers. The "dead" brother?
    Spoiler:
    No, there's an 'industrialist' character they set up for you to assume is the bad guy. then there's this professor guy that the older brother really admires who apparently dies along with the brother. turns out he faked his own death and the brother died with him by accident. when the professor says its the brother's own fault that he died, Hero goes ape-shit and tries to kill him. that scene was the only unexpected bit in the movie for me.

Thanks Loki. I'll check that site out too.

EDIT: Anyone see Nebraska? I thought it was pretty good. Pretty sad too, bordering on pathetic. And all too familiar in some cases... Oh, and it was funny.

EDIT2: Oh, also saw Chef. Loved it. I recommend.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Snowpiercer. Not bad at all. Obviously a fairly simplistic plot dynamic, but I enjoyed the climax and the somewhat interesting take on a postapocalyptic future. I have my usual reservations about how things would work in a closed system such as the train (similar to my problems with Wool), but if you suspend disbelief it's an enjoyable yarn.

Some of the set-pieces were really interesting visually, and I felt it was different enough from my other film watching experiences to seem fresh and new. I look forward to seeing more from this director.

I thought the plot was entirely missing; we had little reason to care about the characters; and the ending came out of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I thought the plot was entirely missing; we had little reason to care about the characters; and the ending came out of nowhere.
    I like endings that surprise me. It happens pretty rarely. Agreed that the plot was not very sophisticated, but that wasn't why I liked it. I thought it was visually new, and enjoyed their exploration of the 'closed post apocalyptic system' story with a different tack. Not a flawless movie, but still one I enjoyed.

I like endings that surprise, but there has to be some basis for the ending. Otherwise, it's the equivalent of a deus ex machina. I thought the action in the film was fun, and it had potential; I just don't think the director did a good job of reaching that potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I like endings that surprise, but there has to be some basis for the ending. Otherwise, it's the equivalent of a deus ex machina. I thought the action in the film was fun, and it had potential; I just don't think the director did a good job of reaching that potential.
    I don't think they telegraphed the ending in the same way that most films do, no, but I don't think it was entirely out of the blue:

Spoiler:
    It was pretty obvious from the beginning that there were flaws in the closed system, including a dearth of spare parts/manufacturing capacity. There were a few obvious hints thrown in - Gilliam's request to meet with Wilford and his advice to stop the advance after the tunnel slaughter, the interest Minsu showed in the outside (and the obvious Chekhov's gun of an explosive drug), the mystery of the missing children. All of these were clues of the basic 'gotchas' at the end - Wilford's offer to Curtis, Minsu's attempt to get outside, the role children had in keeping the train running. The only real deus ex machina was the avalanche, but that didn't bother me so much - it didn't forestall any of the moral choices so much as make them irrelevant. Curtis still chose a child's freedom over his arm, life, and a life of luxury. Minsu proved that the outside was at least theoretically survivable. Etc.

*shrugs* I recognize it wasn't perfect, but I thought it showed significant promise. I didn't really care for the action per se - it was more the visuals that I found compelling.

Spoiler:
    Ah, that's not what I meant by the ending. I meant that the survivors were able to go outside without dying.

Interstellar;too much tech babble and in the end disappointing. Some original footing of oral history reels concerning the dust bowl in the 30s.
    Congratulations America

Mocking Jay 1. Entertainment pur sang. Only problem I have with it is that it follows the books too slavishly and that means that it also copies every flaw of the original story. Otherwise it was worth going to bed a tad on the late side.
    Congratulations America

Kraftidioten, Norwegian movie about a father taking revenge for the murder of his son. Works well in the snow covered country side. English title : in order of disappearance.
    Congratulations America

The movie has a different title in German even though 'Kraftidioten' would be written exactly the same way in German.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Interstellar;too much tech babble and in the end disappointing. Some original footing of oral history reels concerning the dust bowl in the 30s.
    I went to in expecting a pretty crappy film and was very pleasantly surprised. I liked it quite a bit and didn't think the techno-babble was too much at all. Check out this interview with the director and the physicist who was the science consultant for the film. Their intent on scientific accuracy is pretty admirable.

http://sciencefriday.com/segment/11/...erstellar.html
    The Rules

Really? Nothing explains away the 23 year time shift between the surface of the planets and the orbiter. I'm pretty certain the difference would be measured in seconds at the distance between the planets and the orbiter, not years.
    Congratulations America

"Interstellar" was the movie that my extended family picked for our "holiday" movie. It was entertaining, but not what I'd consider spectacular. ANY movie that's three hours long has to compete with attention span and time elements.....

I would feel just as 'entertained' and satisfied by playing cards or board games, and waiting to see the movie at a later date. The movie wasn't that great, even though it was a good movie...
    Last edited by GGT; 12-04-2014 at 03:56 AM.

Really? Nothing explains away the 23 year time shift between the surface of the planets and the orbiter. I'm pretty certain the difference would be measured in seconds at the distance between the planets and the orbiter, not years.
    The way I understood it was because the planet was orbiting close to the black hole and the orbiter remained further out. If the orbiter was in fact orbiting the black hole in a parallel orbit to the planet, and not orbiting the planet itself, that would explain it. No?
    The Rules

The way I understood it was because the planet was orbiting close to the black hole and the orbiter remained further out. If the orbiter was in fact orbiting the black hole in a parallel orbit to the planet, and not orbiting the planet itself, that would explain it. No?
    Hard to imagine where they'd get the energy to keep the orbiter in a parallel orbit. And it still doesn't explain the huge difference on such a short distance.

Trash today. A decent Brazilian movie with a bit of an agenda. I liked the natural performance of the leads.
    Congratulations America

Mr. Nobody. Pretty good, fun to watch, didn't like the very end. Would recommend it though.

The One I Love. Ok, would not watch it again or recommend.

@ Hazir, as far as time dilation gradients around a huge black hole, I never finished my astrophysics PhD, so not sure on that. Liked the movie though. Did you listen to the interview? I thought it was interesting.

EDIT: Funny, I just listened to a question/ answer thing with some physicists about the concepts/ science in Interstellar and one thing they all thought was good was the time dilation. The biggest thing they complained about was the fuel - not enough to get to Saturn, not enough to take off from the planets they were exploring. Unless there was some kind of anti-matter propulsion, that wasn't remotely realistic. They also said the tidal waves on that first planet were not realistic - you would have huge waves, but they'd be flattened, moundish, not towering cliff-like. And the black hole's accretion disk would have been putting out enough x-rays to to make the whole planetary system uninhabitable.
    Last edited by EyeKhan; 12-05-2014 at 01:47 PM.
    The Rules

Still, planet and orbiter on an interstellar scale are in the same place. The time effect relative to earth should be the same for both. Between the two there should be next to none. And dependent on the gravitational pull of the planet. Human beings could not move or even survive on a planet with such gravity.
    Congratulations America

Still, planet and orbiter on an interstellar scale are in the same place. The time effect relative to earth should be the same for both. Between the two there should be next to none. And dependent on the gravitational pull of the planet. Human beings could not move or even survive on a planet with such gravity.
    It wasn't the planet's gravitational field causing the time dilation, it was the black hole's. Without understanding much about the physics of it, one would think the gravity involved would have powerful physical effects to go along with the time dilation. All I can say on the subject is that the physicists discussing it didn't bat an eye at the time dilation depiction in the film, only that the fuel required to leave any of the planets using known technology was not represented in the film accurately.
    The Rules

It wasn't the planet's gravitational field causing the time dilation, it was the black hole's. Without understanding much about the physics of it, one would think the gravity involved would have powerful physical effects to go along with the time dilation. All I can say on the subject is that the physicists discussing it didn't bat an eye at the time dilation depiction in the film, only that the fuel required to leave any of the planets using known technology was not represented in the film accurately.
    I am aware that in the movie the dilation is attributed to the black hole, and it not that I have a problem with. What I have a problem with is that the black hole has a ridiculously different effect on two points in space that basically are in the same place. If the black hole can't cause the dilation between the planet and the orbiter, then the alternative is the planet itself causing it. But very obviously they aren't, because people can function on them. Another alternative is having an orbiter with engines powerful enough to orbit the black hole in an orbit at a huge distance from the planet, yet faithfully shadowing the same planet's orbit around the black hole.
    Congratulations America

I want my lost time back.
    Congratulations America

The Counselor

Had been lookin forward to this, and caught it on Sky over the break.

What a let down.

I call it a movie of hints. Everything is hinted at; implicit. Which left me spending all my time trying to make educated guesses about the plot and about the characters. After a while I decided I didn't care very much about either, it all felt like too much hard work. Found myself shrugging when the credits rolled. My other half summed it nicely when, toward the end, she asked if there was anything else on ...

As for Ridley Scott; get the feeling he's taking himself too seriously in his autumn years. His movies seem too mysterious, too over-dramatised, too over-acted, too thought-about. He's had a few cruddy films of late.

Horrendous waste of some good and interesting acting talent here.

4/10