Page 21 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Thread: What movie did you see today?

I found it pretty funny - not because there's good jokes in it, but because the whole situation and the people in it are funny
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

I've been on a Coen brothers kind of mood lately, haven't watched Burn yet, the premise sounds...Promising.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Finally managed to watch Raging Bull for the first time.
    Better late than never.

Good film..

No country for old men... crazy shit is good shit
    Such is Life...

The Devil's double; a good story wasted on a mediocre screnario. An ordinary Iraqi soldier is forced to act as a body double for the son of Uday Hussein, the sociopath son of dictator Saddam Hussein. The lead does a wonderful job playing the double roles of Uday and Latif. But where the movie doesn't convince is the character developement. Uday's unpredictable debauchery is palatable, basically he's part of the props. What isn't is how Latif stays squeaky clean while being part of Uday's entourage for about 8 years.

The movie itself casts doubt on that by the way towards the end where Latif, no longer part of the entourage by then, still has enough money to get around.

Your Highness.

Total waste of time.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Finally got a chance to see Cloverfield on BluRay. That is a movie I'd never want to see in 3D. Barring the absolutely ridiculous decisions that the characters make halfway through, and a few other glaring nitpicky issues, I thought it was pretty decent!

Moulin Rouge and Easy Rider. Both excellent! I like how Moulin Rouge is completely over the top visually, and the way they did the music is amazing too

Something Borrowed.

Obviously not a movie I picked out. A click flick in every sense of the word. Do people honestly act like that? Brandy would watch it going "awww" and I'm waiting for someone to come in and slap a bitch. For most of the movie the character played by John Krasinski was the only one I didn't want to slam their head against a wall, but they managed to fuck that up at the end too.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

The Informant

Matt Damon in Steven Soderburgh's true-ish study of a Walter Mitty type working for a chemicals corp involved in price-fixing scams.
    Bit slow to get going, but the movie does draw you in and in the end is thoroughly enjoyable.

7/10

~

New York, I Love You

Multiple not-quite interwoven stories and plays, generally of a romantic nature, based, duh, around NY. Each storylet written and directed by a different person.

Absolutely stellar cast; John Hurt, Julie Christie, James Caan, Natalie Portman, Bradley Cooper, Ethan Hawke, Shia LeBouef, Orlando Bloom, Christina Ricci, Hayden Christensen.

Quirky, generally sad, often poignant. Definitely recommended.

7.5/10

One Day: 0/10. It was shit and had no point to it. Who ever thought up the story line is some imbecile. Making a movie that caters to a younger audience, particularly girls and couples, getting them hyped up about what could have easily turned out to be an ok love movie, yet it's ruined with the final "twist" and everyone walks out feeling depressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Something Borrowed.

Obviously not a movie I picked out. A click flick in every sense of the word. Do people honestly act like that? Brandy would watch it going "awww" and I'm waiting for someone to come in and slap a bitch. For most of the movie the character played by John Krasinski was the only one I didn't want to slam their head against a wall, but they managed to fuck that up at the end too.
    Whoa, I had the same unfortunate experience last night. Don't be fooled, this is horrible as far as chick flicks go. The plot was so unsatisfying, the characters (with the exception of Jim/John/Ethan) were completely unlikable, and I found myself rooting for Rachel to be unhappy. Wasn't expecting much; got less.

Jonah Hex

I'll be honest, didn't even know there was a comic around this.

I didn't mind sitting through this. A few bad bits of directing, but over all a worthy movie for how it was billed. Megan Fox held her own, and the costumes and makeup made a good sale. It felt like I was watching a 2nd attempt at The Wild Wild West, minus the black guy. But I liked that movie too.

The Social Network

The creation and rise of Facebook and Mark Zuckerberg.

Very watchable and intriguing, though a little hard to follow sometimes as some fairly crucial conversations were held in pubs and clubs where the background music almost drowned out the talking. Plus a few people - Zuckerberg primarily - spoke so quickly, I feel like I need to watch it a second time.

Wonderful to watch such formidable intellects plus colossal egos collide.

7.5/10

War of the Worlds (1953)

I hadn't watched this since I was a kid but what struck me this time was that I never realised that the movie was such Christian propaganda.
    Such is Life...

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I saw Source Code on the plane. The movie took a really good idea and went nowhere with it. It's ok due to the novelty, but I think this could have been a really, really good movie.
    Interesting, I saw it on the plane too. I think about the same about, it was ok. Some part where where touching,
    Spoiler:
    like when he found out that he is actually dead.

I also saw "Hanna" on the plane, which I liked, even the story is not that interesting, it has good acting an interesting mood and style. And of course an awesome soundtrack
    8.5/10
    Last edited by earthJoker; 09-20-2011 at 03:32 PM.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Scored tickets for the opening film @ Ghent film festival: Tinker, Soldier, Spy, adaption of a John le Carré movie. Supposed to be good, was well received in Venice And it comes with free champagne and celebrities!

Oh, and Tinker, Soldier, Spy is directed by te same guy as the (original) Let The Right One In, which was awesome (and I suggest you go see if you haven't yet!).
    Last edited by Flixy; 09-21-2011 at 01:35 AM.

Today, I watched SAW 3D. Its just awesome movie. a great suspense and horror movie. Love it.

The Arabian Nights two-part mini-series from 2000 Shahriar and Sheherazade make it worthwhile all on their own
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

The Man from Earth

There was a sense of peace in that movie, the kind I don't often find. For what it was, it wasn't the greatest thing, but as a movie, it was good.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

When in Rome and The Challenge. Mary Kate and Ashley. Kill me.

Quote Originally Posted by termite View Post
    War of the Worlds (1953)

I hadn't watched this since I was a kid but what struck me this time was that I never realised that the movie was such Christian propaganda.
    Now watch the Chronicles of Narnia. Then go back and read the books.

Saw a preview for what is no doubt going to be the most awesome movie ever created. Doesn't matter who the director is, who is acting in it, and where it is set. Its going to be the must see movie of our lives solely because of how important the inspiration for the movie is.

This Friday, a movie based on Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots will be released under the title Real Steel.

Saw Kung Fu Panda 2 last night and loved it. Even better than the first one. I got teary eyed at times. Pandas are so frickin' awesome and adorable

Some German movie about German terrorists. I stopped watching it when they go to Jordan for "training" in some desert camp, and one of them complains about his pants getting dirty or something along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco View Post
    Some German movie about German terrorists. I stopped watching it when they go to Jordan for "training" in some desert camp, and one of them complains about his pants getting dirty or something along those lines.
    Have you seen 'Four Lions'?

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco View Post
    I think you meant this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0765432/

And you just showed your immaturity. It's a biographical movie, by the way.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

hey no baiting in the fricking movie thread

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    I think you meant this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0765432/

And you just showed your immaturity. It's a biographical movie, by the way.
    Just?

Did you like the movie? Can you enjoy it even if you have a very strong antipathy against the RAF?
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
    Just?

Did you like the movie? Can you enjoy it even if you have a very strong antipathy against the RAF?
    It's okay. I have to admit, however, that I am simply not that big of a fan of our local artists - that might colour my opinion of German movies in general.

Thus I'm not really a person to ask when it comes to German movies

I'd rather watch stuff like Pan's Labyrinth, Solaris, A Life Less Ordinary or Delicatessen. Whenever someone wants to take me to a movie and I hear it's a German movie, I automatically think: "Oh no!" Regardless of the actual quality. It's just a reflex I got from somewhere. Then again, I'm also definitely not a fan of the German crime movies like "Tatort", "Derrick" and such. I'm weird like that.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?