Page 11 of 75 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: What movie did you see today?

Dinner Rush. Interesting juxtaposition of mobster conflicts/ pressures with fine restaurant kitchen & dining room conflicts/ pressures. Very realistic depictions of busy restaurant kitchens. Some decent performances, some poor, some not believable, some annoying. Ditto with the variety of intertwined story lines. I'd like to give it 2.5/5 but Netflix won't let me. 3/5 is too high, though. And 2/5 is too low but closer to how I feel.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    The trailer really made me want to avoid that Unstoppable movie. Was it as bad as I expect it?

It wasn't bad at all, it has 86% percent on Rotten Tomatoes.
    I enjoy blank walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    If I wiped your brain of any knowledge of Chaucer, and presented you with a filmed version of The Miller's Tale from Canterbury Tales, how do you think you'd rate it?
    Except stuff doesn't quite work like that: ask any Lit. or art history professor. A work should only be judged in its historical context. Vivaldi is actually pretty boring, but he was a genius in the context of Baroque period harmony. Monet was considered sloppy when he first started his impressionist paintings, but the Dutch Masters looking painfully boring. Warhol would have looked stupid before the 1960s, and from the aughts perspective your average person says "huh? I don't get it." Citizen Kane is kinda cool in hindsight, but was considered the best movie ever made for decades. Hell, Doyle's Sherlock stories aren't particularly great by any generation's standards, but they are considered "classics" because he single-handedly popularized a large genre. Homer and the Odyssey and Iliad. Must I go on?

Point being Chaucer is lauded for his historical context, not his "quality" by a 2010 aesthetic. By an aughts standard, Elf is pretty stupid humor.

Quote Originally Posted by NGS View Post
    Not the sense of humor so much as the beautiful happiness. Pretty damn hard not to feel good when you watch it.
    Can't argue with that, it's true. But let's use that same metric: how does Elf stand up to Big? And Elf gets the enormous feel good boost of Christmas, while Big had to generate it de novo.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    The first 40 minutes of The 6th Day with Arnold Shitactornegger.

It was such utter tripe that I couldn't watch it. It's a rare thing that I don't finish a movie.

The 6th Day had not a single redeeming quality.
    Wow. I never even heard of this movie.

Finally saw this weekend, because it was on TV:
    1) Indiana Jones and the craptastic crapfest of the crystal crap. 'Nuf said? 2/5 stars for some good action scenes.
    2) Pearl Harbor: 2/5 stars for truly impressive battle scenes, but the plot sucks. Oh, and Ben Affleck.

Ack, not a good weekend for movie watching. But I did get a lot of laundry and other stuff done during commercials (the only reason to watch movies on TV).

I hated Pearl Harbor. Had to end it with the (ridiculously over-stated) bombing run on Japan because the movie producers thought America was too vapid to stomach a movie in which the good-guys get kicked in the balls and fall over. They're probably right, except nobody was up in arms when Dumbeldore died. On the other hand, he's a Brit, so . . . .

Also, I had the misfortune of seeing a few minutes of the 6th Day. Horrible. Re-watched most of Minority Report the other day, not too bad. I think the vertical highway technology's a bit stupid. You'd think with tech like that they'd have invented a better gun. And the eye scanning tech is ok, I guess, but if I were writing the screenplay I'd have done it with embedded RFID tags. It would work the way depicted, though more plausably than super-cameras that can scan your eye from across a crowded concourse while you're walking and looking the other way . . . On the other hand, getting your eyes replaced is a better gimmick than getting a chip dug out of your upper arm or something.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Pearl Harbor. It is worth sitting through the dreadful plot, the endless teary-eyed schmaltz, the blatantly obvious token black man in Cuba Gooding jr wedged randomly into the story line, and Ben Affleck, just for those battle scenes. They are out of this world.

~

Saw the first 45 minutes or so of Dirty Dancing last night. My lady insisted as it just so happened to be on a movie channel. Stopped at the halfway point as it was late and I had to be up early this morn, so we recorded the second half to watch another day.

Why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why do girls love this movie so much? There are no subtleties to the plot, the actors and acting are below average, it is as predictable as the sun rising tomorrow morn, and about as engaging as sitting in a mud-puddle. Yet women go nuts for this diabolical dollop of dullness.
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 12-13-2010 at 08:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Nobody puts Baby in a corner.
    The Rules

Oh shaddap numbnuts.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    I hated Pearl Harbor. Had to end it with the (ridiculously over-stated) bombing run on Japan because the movie producers thought America was too vapid to stomach a movie in which the good-guys get kicked in the balls and fall over. They're probably right, except nobody was up in arms when Dumbeldore died. On the other hand, he's a Brit, so . . . .
    you could have Just said ... AFLAC. The curse of Ben Affleck.

The combat scenes did rock though

Also, I had the misfortune of seeing a few minutes of the 6th Day. Horrible. Re-watched most of Minority Report the other day, not too bad. I think the vertical highway technology's a bit stupid. You'd think with tech like that they'd have invented a better gun. And the eye scanning tech is ok, I guess, but if I were writing the screenplay I'd have done it with embedded RFID tags. It would work the way depicted, though more plausably than super-cameras that can scan your eye from across a crowded concourse while you're walking and looking the other way . . . On the other hand, getting your eyes replaced is a better gimmick than getting a chip dug out of your upper arm or something.
    Yeah, pretty good; they didn't butcher this Phillip K. Dick story. And Tom Cruise didn't spoil it too much with his bad acting.

Fer Pete's sake don't see Paycheck (2003), which is also based on a Phillip K. Dick story, but which really was pretty bad after the first 45 minutes (which was the Dick story). Oh, and guess who? Ben AFLAC.

Pearl Harbor. It is worth sitting through the dreadful plot, the endless teary-eyed schmaltz, the blatantly obvious token black man in Cuba Gooding jr wedged randomly into the story line, and Ben Affleck, just for those battle scenes. They are out of this world.
    Oh yeah. Most of them were absolutely phenomenal. But the special effects to plot/acting ratio was even worse in Pearl Harbor than in Titanic. Even worse than Avatar! {I also shuddered at the Cuba Gooding Jr. token black role. Good God, they couldn't put something more meaningful in there? And yes, the chest thumping patriotic end. Gack.}

Saw the first 45 minutes or so of Dirty Dancing last night. My lady insisted as it just so happened to be on a movie channel. Stopped at the halfway point as it was late and I had to be up early this morn, so we recorded the second half to watch another day.

Why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why do girls love this movie so much? There are no subtleties to the plot, the actors and acting are below average, it is as predictable as the sun rising tomorrow morn, and about as engaging as sitting in a mud-puddle. Yet women go nuts for this diabolical dollop of dullness.
    I have four words for you: Patrick Swayze. No Shirt.

For what it's worth, my wife mocks that movie. May well be why I married her.
    Last edited by ']['ear; 12-13-2010 at 10:58 PM. Reason: stray smiley

Ehm..Cuba played Dorris Miller, who was real and fairly well known.
    I remember reading about him in school.

First black man to win the Navy Cross.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doris_Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Crowheart View Post

And you think his "part" in the film was any less "token" because his character was based on a real man?
    Such is Life...

Yes, they said that at the end of the film. But the story was so flimsy from the plot standpoint that Cuba's role felt very contrived. When you add that up to a point he also seemed like he had walked in off the Radio set, the role was also a bit condescending (though it was cool when he got behind the AA gun and took down some zeroes.)

Bottom line is that you can't get the interpersonal drama and sweep both in the same film. The original Tora, Tora, Tora was much better this way: they played it as a simple history of the attack rather than an unwieldy gemisch of romance, action and band of brother camaraderie, not to mention the straight up bizarre jump to the bombing raid on the Japanese mainland (where yeah, right, they recruit some fighter pilots to fly a B-29 mission. ) Pearl Harbor could have played it like Tora, Tora Tora with lots of cameos but less in the way of character-driven stories. 70s disaster movies were good that way, and they didn't suffer from the burden of having to have a happy ending. Thank the gods!

Last week saw an 80s movie called Miracle Mile (1988). 3/5 Mixed feelings about this. In some ways it is just bad, with some very streaky acting, shaky scenes. In others ways it was a lot of fun, and a little thought-provoking. For one, I doubt it will appeal to anybody who doesn't clearly remember the fear of nuclear war. It just won't; you can't understand that underlying current that was there for decades, and understanding that fear is key to understanding the movie. Second, while you won't come away saying "this was a great movie," you will probably get some chuckles, and some nudges from some interesting plot twists. So while it's got some definite stinker movie moments, it's also got a weird appeal. So, so very 80s though.

Quote Originally Posted by termite View Post
    And you think his "part" in the film was any less "token" because his character was based on a real man?

Yes, that's what I think.
    He was a man that fought with exceptional bravery, and I don't think him happening to be black makes his story "token" or a throw-away part that was jammed in for racial reasons.

His role in the battle deserved to be told, and shouldn't be confused as another of Hollywood's bad habits of including token characters of race in their movies.

@Tear...bad scriptwriting and acting is another matter of course, and in Pearl Harbor's case, hard to defend...

Yes, that's what I think.
    He was a man that fought with exceptional bravery, and I don't think him happening to be black makes his story "token" or a throw-away part that was jammed in for racial reasons.

His role in the battle deserved to be told, and shouldn't be confused as another of Hollywood's bad habits of including token characters of race in their movies.

@Tear...bad scriptwriting and acting is another matter of course, and in Pearl Harbor's case, hard to defend...
    to·ken

   /ˈtoʊkən/ Show Spelled[toh-kuhn] Show IPA
    –noun 1. something serving to represent or indicate some fact, event, feeling, etc.;

Sounds about right to me...
    Such is Life...

I stand educated.

Still, Hollywood is renowned for throwing in token black parts, and this seemed like a perfect example in that he had nothing to do with the central characters nor central storyline in the movie.

But I guess, to take a sympathetic view, his part in the movie did help portray the events as they unfolded on one of the ships bombed to hell while stationary in harbour.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermarioman View Post

It wasn't bad at all, it has 86% percent on Rotten Tomatoes.
    Hmm, maybe it's not as crap as I thought after all then. Just the trailers made it seem like an incredibly sucky, cliché action movie with an improbable plot full of holes and some nice hero bravery to save the day. E.g. not my type of movie at all (of course, it could be a good movie in that genre too, but I would still hate it).

I saw Pearl Harbor in the avant premiere. There was an introduction, and the guy also said that the first half was full of sappy romance but if we hated it too much, the action after the break would be good. He was right! Apart from the battle scenes the movie really sucked though.

Saw Buried in the cinema last night (yay, free tickets ). Was pretty decent! Better than I expected.
    Spoiler:
    Nice happy ending, too

Then later at home we watched O Brother, where art thou?, great movie! Really made me laugh

And when I was standing in line at the cinema the woman behind us gave me a free movie ticket valid until wednesday What to see, what to see.. I don't think there's anything good besides maybe Harry Potter. And next week I'm supposed to get another free ticket in the mail next week for filling out a questionnaire about the cinema It's a good year for free movies, I think about half of the movies I saw in cinema this year were for free

And less than a week until the Tron Legacy avant premiere
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Ian McShane is in the next Pirates of the Carribean movie.

"Arrr...walk the plank, ye scurvy cock-sucker"

The Siege with Bruce and Denzel.

Mmmm not bad not bad. 6.5/10

Much of it seemed relevant, even though it was made pre 9/11. The argument against state-sponsored torture was well-made I thought.

American chest-thumping patriotism toward the end was a bit cringe-worthy, which lost it a half mark.

Wnt to see The Kids Are All Right, it was pretty good

I want to see that but not sure I'll get a chance before it's off the cinema screens.

Ian McShane is in the next Pirates of the Carribean movie.

"Arrr...walk the plank, ye scurvy cock-sucker"
    I have to watch a Pirates of the Caribbean movie now? The things we are asked to do
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Has anyone seen 'Unthinkable'? If so, what did you think of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    I have to watch a Pirates of the Caribbean movie now? The things we are asked to do
    Orlando Bloom won't be in it, so that should take some of the sting out.

Orlando Bloom won't be in it, so that should take some of the sting out.
    Add Penelope Cruz.
    The Rules

I want to see that but not sure I'll get a chance before it's off the cinema screens.
    Just get it on DVD later It's not an action movie, so it doesn't benefit that much from a big screen!

I want to see Black Swan over the holiday.

I've always liked Natalie Portman, and ballet! Last time I remember a good ballet movie was....The Turning Point, with Anne Bancroft and Shirley MacLaine. Also "Introducing" Mikhail Baryshnikov and Leslie Browne. Great movie

Cookies for anyone who recognizes the narrator in the trailer.

Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar
    Gurren Lagann: The Movie.

Everyone who liked the Tv show should watch it, and if you haven't watched the tv show, you should.
    I enjoy blank walls.

Rumour has it Portman does some lady on lady sex scenes.
    The Rules

Since when did you start spelling it "rumour"?

The trailer shows them kissing. Might get more explicit than that. woo hoo. Everybody run to the theatre. What are you, a frustrated teenager or something? FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Since when did you start spelling it "rumour"?

The trailer shows them kissing. Might get more explicit than that. woo hoo. Everybody run to the theatre. What are you, a frustrated teenager or something? FFS.
    What, you spend your life sucking the fun out of everything now?
    The Rules