Page 74 of 75 FirstFirst ... 246472737475 LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,220 of 2244

Thread: What movie did you see today?

Tried to put off prepping for prospectus defense by watching movies and was punished for it.

The King's Man—sucked, only saving grace was Rhys Ifans and that just barely. Matthew Vaughn isn't allowed to write stuff anymore.
    Fistful of Vengeance—sucked, the show at least was watchable.
    Taken 2 and 3—sucked, 3 was better than 2 though.
    The Marksman—sucked, no further comments.
    Cold Pursuit—sucked, but was at least original.

Karma is real.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

The Batman

Def. worth the price of admission—you get, like, ten endings for the price of one. Pattinson is a good—if boring—Batman, though his Bruce Wayne is kinda meh. Zoë Kravitz is excellent as Selina Kyle/Catwoman; it was reported, recently, that she was passed over by Nolan and his team because she was too "urban", and she'd def. have been wasted on Nolan. Colin Farrell as The Penguin is solid (I have nfi how they're gonna make a watchable show out of his shenanigans though), John Turturro's slime game is on point as always, Jeffrey Wright's Jim Gordon is okay. I get what they were going for with Paul Dano's Riddler, but I've just never really liked that particular kind of plot arc—the classic serial killer plot was a good move though, and I wish they'd have really doubled down on the detective schtick.

Things that sucked:

1. Standard Thomas Wayne hagiography. They were about to put a twist on it, but chickened out as always. Batman will never be great until DC works up the courage to sacrifice Thomas Wayne's reputation.

Spoiler:
    lame-ass Joker teaser. Just stop trying to revive the Joker. Let him die or make Jack Nicholson reprise the role.

Anyway go see it if it's safe. nb: ur ass will h u r t—it's a 3h long movie. Bring a cushion and be strategic about fluids.

Free Guy was fun.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness—I enjoyed it, but I don't wanna see more variations on the "wisecracking zoomer girl redeems cynical old man" theme. Elizabeth Olsen remains the MCU's MVP. The action was kinda rubbish, and the obvious fishing for cheers and applause just didn't work out, but the visuals are great, the plotholes aren't too distracting, and the overall story is decent. The ending is pretty satisfying.

Chip 'n' Dale: Rescue Rangers

Way better than it had any right to be. Story is super generic (they admit as much) but the fun comes in trying to catch 30 years worth of cameos. Much of which arent Disney property. My favorite was Harry Potter.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Tried to watch ‘the Batman’. I guess I’m officially too old for this kind of crap.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness—I enjoyed it, but I don't wanna see more variations on the "wisecracking zoomer girl redeems cynical old man" theme. Elizabeth Olsen remains the MCU's MVP. The action was kinda rubbish, and the obvious fishing for cheers and applause just didn't work out, but the visuals are great, the plotholes aren't too distracting, and the overall story is decent. The ending is pretty satisfying.
    The story was too ff-ing thin for a movie this long. Felt a bit like left overs from Wandavision re-heated.
    Congratulations America

Prey—well-made, worthy sequel/prequel to the original. Not enough humor for my taste, but satisfying in most other respects. Would've been incredible at the cinema.

Everything Everywhere All at Once

marred by some excessive wankery but I loved it

Just saw Wakanda Forever. Went in expecting garbage but I reckon it's the most well-made MCU movie to date, and very enjoyable on its own. Solid cast, thoughtful writing, restrained where MCU movies tend to be excessive and bold where they tend to be chickenshit. Well worth the price of admission—and absolutely worth sticking around for the mid-credits scene. I'm not kidding don't miss it

Just saw Wakanda Forever. Went in expecting garbage but I reckon it's the most well-made MCU movie to date, and very enjoyable on its own. Solid cast, thoughtful writing, restrained where MCU movies tend to be excessive and bold where they tend to be chickenshit. Well worth the price of admission—and absolutely worth sticking around for the mid-credits scene. I'm not kidding don't miss it
    Wakanda forever got the axe after 15 minutes.

Which was about 1/3 of the time that Netflix' RRR got. The funny thing is that a lot of people will think it's great in an ironic way because it's so over the top in everything. But I am pretty certain nothing of it is intended to not be taken seriously. Acting is horrible, scenario is meh, dialogues are badly written and delivery is even worse. I don't know who's responsible for the costume department but they need to take another job. Except for the clothes of one of the leads everyone looked like a PA was sent to a rental agency with the task of getting 'clothes'.
    Congratulations America

can't believe you watched it but serves you right tbh don't think it was intended as a piss-take—it looks like a reasonably straightforward piece of sincere, nation-building melodrama, in the same vein as literally dozens of eg. Chinese movies made over the past decade. Most young desi movie fans I know seem to have enjoyed it, notwithstanding the more dodgy political elements.

can't believe you watched it but serves you right tbh don't think it was intended as a piss-take—it looks like a reasonably straightforward piece of sincere, nation-building melodrama, in the same vein as literally dozens of eg. Chinese movies made over the past decade. Most young desi movie fans I know seem to have enjoyed it, notwithstanding the more dodgy political elements.
    I recognized the genre and know that it's not intended ironically at all
    But in the genre it's pretty bad. Which in my eyes made the western critiques kinda cringe.

P. S. I've seen Ohm Shanti Ohm at least 5 times. Just so that you know.
    Congratulations America

I am just waiting for the second part of Dune.
    Congratulations America

Guardians of the Galaxy 3. The best Marvel movies since the last Avengers. Also, by far the saddest of the Marvel movies. Don't bring your kids.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Best doesn't mean much if it comes to Marvel. Was it any good?
    Congratulations America

I'd put it in the top 5 Marvel movies. Whether it's any good depends on whether you like Marvel movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I'd put it in the top 5 Marvel movies. Whether it's any good depends on whether you like Marvel movies.
    I like good movies. Marvel recently hasn't been in the business of making those.
    Congratulations America

I started writing a whole thing about the definition of a Good Movie (tm), but fuck it, we all hate each other anyway, have this instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqNKFd36954

I'll help you this much, the narration starts by stating it is a fast and action-packed Soviet film of a post-nuclear Moscow, and the parody is meant to be non-sensical because that is the joke, so you don't really have to understand Finnish to get it.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Good movie was more situational than you assumed it was. But that's on me I guess.I watched the clip and I am not certain if I would use the words for what I saw. The joke went right over my head. All I saw was that the baby grew up without really growing up.

Otherwise, I'm way too preoccupied with my own mortality to hate you.
    Congratulations America

That's a good way to take things. I was an angry young person, but I think I've mellowed out. I even think friend Low-key is a nice guy, and we had fierce debates some times.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I like good movies. Marvel recently hasn't been in the business of making those.
    My rankings:

A+:
    Avengers: Endgame

A:
    Avengers
    Avengers: Infinity War
    Iron Man 1
    Black Panther 1
    Guardians 1
    Guardians 3

B+:
    Avengers: Age of Ultron
    Spider-Man 1
    Doctor Strange
    Captain America 1
    Captain America: Civil War

C+:
    Spider-Man 2
    Captain Marvel
    Captain America 2

C:
    Spider-Man 3
    Shang-Chi
    Thor 3
    Black Widow

C-:
    Thor 1
    Thor 2
    Thor 4
    Ant Man 2
    Ant Man 3
    Doctor Strange 2
    Black Panther 2
    Guardians 2

D-:
    Eternals

F:
    Incredible Hulk
    Last edited by Loki; 05-08-2023 at 11:02 AM.

My major beef with the Avengers movies, as great as Josh Brolin is, is with how they mangled the original Thanos motivation plot-line. I suppose him being an eco-terrorist is more fitting for our times, but come on, who doesn't like a lover scorned story?

So I sort of disagree with that list? Maybe?

They changed the backgrounds of half the characters. I don't think the change to Thanos was a bad one. You have to ground your characters at least a bit for people to care about them.

Original Spider-Man 2 blows all those outta the water frankly,Thanos just ruined the movies for me. Weird purple blowhard with no compelling backstory or agenda, looking goofy af everytime he was on screen, trampling all over what little consistency there was in the power-scaling. His one good moment was when he figured out what the team was up to in Endgame.

I think someone's sour about not getting a Pym particle injection right up Thanos's butt!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    They changed the backgrounds of half the characters. I don't think the change to Thanos was a bad one. You have to ground your characters at least a bit for people to care about them.
    What is not "grounded" in someone doing a thing to impress their lover? I'm as much of a Linkola fan as you can get, but the eco-terrorism angle was just stupid. Everyone understands someone in love.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    I think someone's sour about not getting a Pym particle injection right up Thanos's butt!
    That would at least have made him an interesting character!

That would at least have made him an interesting character!
    By having something explode inside his lower intestine? I'm sure there's a bunch of Grey's Anatomy stories about things like that, but it doesn't necessarily inform a developed character, in my limited and shallow opinion.

Some characters are so useless that meaning can only be found in their destruction it would've been the only genuine moment in his entire MCU existence, when he realized—too late!!—that all his imagined glory would be undone by a happy lil clown in his stupid purple butt

Air,

it was a fun high-thrill drama with Affleck and Damon. Not gonna stock to memory too long, but I enjoyed it a lot throughout.

Attack on Titan, after having put the series on pause for a few years, I have been pestered to watch the rest claiming it to be a masterpiece. I enjoy it a lot more than I did when quitting it last time. Definitely gonna be one of those shows where you burn through episodes.
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?