Zootopia - good idea, competent execution, tailored esp. for younger millennials and checks off all the boxes for a blockbuster feelgood animated comedy with important messages. Enjoyed it overall but it felt too polished and deliberate, like someone'd decided to try to combine the strengths of all similar smash-hits from the past five years. To me, it felt like one of those solid movies with tried-and-true plots and dependable all-star ensemble casts brought together for the purpose of making a movie that doesn't suck. I loved the visuals and esp. the visual humor as well as the cameos and the throwaway gags. The soundtrack was very disappointing. I guess this is what they call "damning with faint praise"? I did like it though.

Mr. Right - I expected to be entirely underwhelmed by this romantic action-comedy about a messed-up former hitman's whirlwind romance with a messed-up but cool girl against the burning and blood-spattered backdrop of a worlde gonne madde and a one thousande cartoonish villains. At first blush, this movie has no reason to exist and it's been panned by critics. We've already had Grosse Pointe Blank, Smokin' Aces, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Killers, Shoot 'Em Up and a dozen more movies with similar plots, themes and tone. But the ginger and I loved this movie. Sam Rockwell is as likeable as always, Anna Kendricks delivers one of her best performances ever as winsome messed-up millennial T-Rex (yes, T-Rex) with a great attitude, Tim Roth does his thing well apart from a painful sequence featuring an incredibly grating southern accent, and the supporting cast is solid albeit a little cartoonish. There is a slight comic-book-y feel to the movie but they decided to forgo the increasingly popular excessive ultra-violence as well as to keep the unbelievable assassin-tricks at a reasonable level. Most importantly, Rockwell and Kendricks have great chemistry. It's not revelatory, and it has its flaws, but it was just the right kind of movie for a tipsy date-night at home with the missus ymmv.

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
One of my friends got to see Civil War in Vegas already (theater convention).

Bastard.
We're seeing it next wednesday!! Sucks that they're delaying the proper US release.