Thread: What movie did you see today?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    I hated Pearl Harbor. Had to end it with the (ridiculously over-stated) bombing run on Japan because the movie producers thought America was too vapid to stomach a movie in which the good-guys get kicked in the balls and fall over. They're probably right, except nobody was up in arms when Dumbeldore died. On the other hand, he's a Brit, so . . . .
    you could have Just said ... AFLAC. The curse of Ben Affleck.

The combat scenes did rock though

Also, I had the misfortune of seeing a few minutes of the 6th Day. Horrible. Re-watched most of Minority Report the other day, not too bad. I think the vertical highway technology's a bit stupid. You'd think with tech like that they'd have invented a better gun. And the eye scanning tech is ok, I guess, but if I were writing the screenplay I'd have done it with embedded RFID tags. It would work the way depicted, though more plausably than super-cameras that can scan your eye from across a crowded concourse while you're walking and looking the other way . . . On the other hand, getting your eyes replaced is a better gimmick than getting a chip dug out of your upper arm or something.
    Yeah, pretty good; they didn't butcher this Phillip K. Dick story. And Tom Cruise didn't spoil it too much with his bad acting.

Fer Pete's sake don't see Paycheck (2003), which is also based on a Phillip K. Dick story, but which really was pretty bad after the first 45 minutes (which was the Dick story). Oh, and guess who? Ben AFLAC.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Pearl Harbor. It is worth sitting through the dreadful plot, the endless teary-eyed schmaltz, the blatantly obvious token black man in Cuba Gooding jr wedged randomly into the story line, and Ben Affleck, just for those battle scenes. They are out of this world.
    Oh yeah. Most of them were absolutely phenomenal. But the special effects to plot/acting ratio was even worse in Pearl Harbor than in Titanic. Even worse than Avatar! {I also shuddered at the Cuba Gooding Jr. token black role. Good God, they couldn't put something more meaningful in there? And yes, the chest thumping patriotic end. Gack.}

Saw the first 45 minutes or so of Dirty Dancing last night. My lady insisted as it just so happened to be on a movie channel. Stopped at the halfway point as it was late and I had to be up early this morn, so we recorded the second half to watch another day.

Why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why oh why do girls love this movie so much? There are no subtleties to the plot, the actors and acting are below average, it is as predictable as the sun rising tomorrow morn, and about as engaging as sitting in a mud-puddle. Yet women go nuts for this diabolical dollop of dullness.
    I have four words for you: Patrick Swayze. No Shirt.

For what it's worth, my wife mocks that movie. May well be why I married her.
    Last edited by ']['ear; 12-13-2010 at 10:58 PM. Reason: stray smiley