Page 73 of 75 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,190 of 2244

Thread: What movie did you see today?

Gunpowder Milkshake. I know a lot of people are going to criticize this as derivative, or thin on the plot, or cliched. I don't care. It was beautiful. The stylized setting, halfway between a Tarantino and neo-noir, the gorgeous lighting and use of color... This was a movie made by someone who just really loves movies, and loves using the visual medium to make something that catches your eye when it's set up just so. Very solid cast (though sometimes they were underutilized). Writing was okay - at times verging on inspired, often just acceptable.

I've never seen anything by Papushado before (though I had heard of some of his Hebrew language works), mostly because I'm not big in the horror genre. But I feel like I might want to check it out just to see what he does with the visuals.

And any haters can go be highbrow elsewhere.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

The Hunt -- very entertaining.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

The new Suicide Squad is way better than the first one and worth watching, especially if you get it for free on HBO Max. I hope it doesn't reflect badly on the movie that it's getting such disappointing box-office numbers because of the delta-lockdown + being available for free in homes, it's the best DC movie since The Dark Knight.

The Irishman. Good but I wish they would have used young actors to play the parts of the early years. It is absolutely impossible to make those old actors look the age they were attempting to portray.

Dune. Really just half of a movie. But you have to go and see it now if you want to see part two.
    Congratulations America

Cinderella 2021 on prime. Amusing, uplifting bit of fluff. Those of you who have children; the story has been tweaked just enough to not reinforce outdated role models and not so much that it feels forced.
    Congratulations America

The Doorman

Five thumbs down. Don't remember how it got in my list???

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Dune. Really just half of a movie. But you have to go and see it now if you want to see part two.
    I watched it yesterday and thought it was pretty good. I re-read the book within the last year and I was struck how true to the book the movie is - that's not easy. Should be interesting what they do with the second half.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Good movie; incredible production values. Chalamet sucks, Isaac overrated, but Ferguson and supporting cast all great. Shame about it only covering half the book but you can always just watch the second half of the David Lynch adaptation again.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

As someone who hadnt read the books, the story was not good. I get that the director tried to stay as true to the book as possible so fans were able to fill in a lot of gaps. But for the general population...just no it didn't work. There's a lot that's left unexplained so it comes across as forcing the plot along. The press push has been kind of awkward too with the actors doing everything they can to not admit that they have not read the book.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    As someone who hadn't read the books, the story was not good. I get that the director tried to stay as true to the book as possible so fans were able to fill in a lot of gaps. But for the general population...just no it didn't work. There's a lot that's left unexplained so it comes across as forcing the plot along. The press push has been kind of awkward too with the actors doing everything they can to not admit that they have not read the book.
    Yeah, I gave a lot of explanation for those who hadn't read the book. Fortunately I watched it on HBO Max, so I could pause, explain, resume.

As for the book, its a good read and I recommend it. I don't really understand why its so deeply beloved, tbh. It isn't that great. My first read was in my late teens and I went through the fourth book, God Emperor, and stopped there. I intended to do the same a year or so ago but once I got into Children of Dune, to construct the plot Herbert revised some of the universal baseline facts established in book one and I lost interest a quarter or so in. I hate that.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Big if true

Click to view the full version
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Next you're going to tell me that Kwisatz Haderach and Lisan Al Gaib aren't actually from Chakobsa.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Cinderella 2021 on prime. Amusing, uplifting bit of fluff. Those of you who have children; the story has been tweaked just enough to not reinforce outdated role models and not so much that it feels forced.
    My son recently worked on Billy Porter's first movie production in Pittsburgh, as an electrical grip. He didn't know Porter had played the role of "Fabulous Fairy Godmother" in the Cinderella remake until filming was almost done, but he was impressed that Porter treated everyone on the set with great respect, even if they didn't know he was sort of "famous". This was just before the IATSE union was negotiating for better working conditions, so it mattered even more.

Cruella, with the kids and wife - quite an enjoyable watch.

Finally got around to seeing Dune, I really enjoyed it.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Okay I'm very excited about this

Arcane at Netflix was just way better than I thought. It's beautiful. Pure art. Every shot looks like a wallpaper. It is an origin story for some characters from League of Legends. It takes Disney and Don Bluth and step up the stakes, a new bar for excellence and art and a good story. Not for kids though, it is a bit darker than Don Bluth.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

Don't Look Up -- would have been more funny if something just like it hadn't been going on since 2020... I enjoyed it a lot.
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post

Okay I'm very excited about this
    Seen it? Was it good? Something about Al Molina in this gives me the tingles and then the shivers as I realize that I saw him in Spider Man TWENTY FUCKING YEARS AGO.

Given Covid and how seriously people here take Covid, I might have to wait until it's streaming.
    Hope is the denial of reality

No Time to Die

I don't really care for Bond movies, but it was excellent—hits you right in the feels

Matrix: Resurrections

It was fun, arguably much more so than the second and third Matrix movies. Too little plot, given the runtime. Main cast was great. Action was surprisingly boring.

Matrix: Resurrections

It was fun, arguably much more so than the second and third Matrix movies. Too little plot, given the runtime. Main cast was great. Action was surprisingly boring.
    Also just finished it today. Indeed was sorta fun, almost a bit campy? I agree that it was much better than the second and third movies, but also depended heavily on having wasted my time seeing #2 and 3# to understand what was going on.

As a medical professional, are you ever irked that the underlying point of the Matrix is using human metabolism for electricity? This never seemed realistic at all -- certainly there are more efficient processes out there!

Spider-Man—No Way Home

Just a lot of fun, and only one really cringe-y scene. First movie I've seen at the cinema since before the pandemic. I was unaware of some pretty significant plot points going in, and I urge anyone thinking of seeing it to do everything in your power to avoid spoilers. This is one movie where spoilers really would have greatly reduced my enjoyment

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Also just finished it today. Indeed was sorta fun, almost a bit campy? I agree that it was much better than the second and third movies, but also depended heavily on having wasted my time seeing #2 and 3# to understand what was going on.

As a medical professional, are you ever irked that the underlying point of the Matrix is using human metabolism for electricity? This never seemed realistic at all -- certainly there are more efficient processes out there!
    The machines just don't want to exterminate all humans, and this way they can get all sorts of entertainment out of watching humans live out their simulated lives

Went to the new Matrix movie. The folding back thing was nice but all in all I can't say I really understood it.
    Congratulations America

Just over halfway through Eternals, this may just be the worst blockbuster I've ever seen

Just over halfway through Eternals, this may just be the worst blockbuster I've ever seen
    It was worse than Independence Day 2. It was worse than Iron Man 2. This movie just sucked. Salma Hayek had one good scene I guess. Everything is just super cringe. I dunno whether to blame the director or the studio, perhaps multiple people shat all over it

Neither Hayek nor Jolie were remotely believable in their roles. Most of the characters weren't likeable (especially the Rob Stark actor). The plot wasn't bad. But it was just hard to care.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Part of Death on the Nile. What a snoozefest. After sitting through 70 minutes of it, I decided dinner couldn't wait another 50 minutes.
    Congratulations America