Page 63 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,890 of 2244

Thread: What movie did you see today?

Annabelle, run of the mill horror, but enjoyable for most of the time.

Viceroy' s House, the bungled division of India, very solid acting, as usual an unnecessary love story, my bet is that Asian audiences will see an entirely different story than western audiences. If it weren' t for my Turkish experience I would never have picked up on the scandal.
    Congratulations America

IT; solid horror movie and one of the better adaptations of a book by Stephen King. Maybe a bit on the longish side.

Lucky Logan; can't exactly put a finger what was off with this movie. Cast is impressive, but acting is positively wooden. There is an absolutely hilarious exchange in one of the scenes about the inability of G.R.R. Martin to deliver the money shot. On the way home I considered that what's wrong with this movie is that Channing Tatum being all self-depreciative is cute if Channing looks like everybody's wet dream, but doesn't work so well if Channing is playing a slightly overweight red-neck veteran (loser) with a limp.

Patty Cakes; lower class white girl wants to be a rapper. Lovely must-see movie. What didn't quite convince in Lucky Logan hits the sweet spot in Patty Cakes.
    Congratulations America

Mother; anybody care to explain what it is I saw the previous two hours ?
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    IT; solid horror movie and one of the better adaptations of a book by Stephen King. Maybe a bit on the longish side.
    I liked it too - better than I expected. The kids did a really nice job.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

The Hitman's Bodyguard; never mind.
    Congratulations America

American Made

Superb fun, enjoyed every minute. Cruise sparkles in the true story of the pilot turned CIA agent turned Colombian drug smuggler. Fabulous aircraft scenes and wonderful flying cinematography which I really appreciated. Continuous escalations in the excesses of the narrative, which would seem fantastical if they weren't based, albeit loosely, on the truth. All packaged up into a frothy latté of tongue-in-cheek audacity by unknown (to me) director Doug Liman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    All packaged up into a frothy latté of tongue-in-cheek audacity by unknown (to me) director Doug Liman.
    Bourne Identity, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Edge of Tomorrow...
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Mother? Anybody?
    Congratulations America

Ahhhh you're right. Had understood he'd only produced those not directed them, as he is an Exec Producer on most (all?) of the Bourne movies, and also on Edge of Tomorrow. Not seen Mr and Mrs Smith.

His work seems to be mostly on producing TV series.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Colossal - excellent indie movie. Def. not what I expected. Surprising shift in tone around halfway through. Hathaway and Sudeikis are both solid. Pro tip: don't check out trailers. Just don't. Let yourself be surprised.

2 Guns - generic buddy action flick with a nice 90s vibe that kinda evokes True Romance, minus the romance and the tension. Denzel Washington's lines are bad and he plays the character all wrong. Wahlberg is solid. Bill Paxton is the star of the show.

Limitless - I'd been avoiding the movie because I don't like Bradley Cooper. I finally got around to watching the show and it was decent enough that I decided to give the movie a shot. It wasn't bad. The story is kinda generic for most of the movie, but the movie itself has a unique style that translated very well to the TV format. I don't wanna spoil anything so I'll just say this: seeing the show before the movie makes the latter a weird but cool experience. The show had a lot of potential but fizzled out towards the end of the first season, for understandable reasons (think Agents of Shield with a lighter budget). In both its incarnations, this role is very well-suited to Cooper sociopathic narcissistic douche-face and demeanor.

Hasan Minhaj's Homecoming King is def. in the top 5 of Netflix's standup special lineup right now, perhaps top 3. If you are a brown immigrant--esp. from the subcontinent--who's grown up in a western white-majority society, or have close friends and loved ones who fit that description, these stories from Minhaj's life will feel both uncomfortably and reassuringly familiar, simultaneously. He's a little too sincere on occasion but, other than that, ace.

Seinfeld's special is... well, he is who he is. The audience is basically people who were in their twenties in the '90s but acted like they were in their thirties at the time.

Norm Macdonald's Hitler's Dog, Gossip & Trickery was a very pleasant surprise. It starts out feeling like a show for old drunk people but seamlessly transitions to a sly and slick performance that manages to be both modern and timeless at the same time. I like his reflections on suicide and the risk-reward analysis of masturbation.
    Last edited by Aimless; 09-23-2017 at 09:40 PM.

Decided to give my nemesis one more chance. Waiting for Blade Runner 2049 to begin

My Little Pony.

Friendship wins. Again. This time while introducing several new toy lines and with a bad guy that seems like an empty shell of their usual Discord nemesis.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Decided to give my nemesis one more chance. Waiting for Blade Runner 2049 to begin
    One of the most well-made scifi movies of this past decade. Overall a better movie than the first, although more limited in philosophical scope. Villeneuve's skilful direction is evident in every scene, especially in the performances of the cast. Gosling has always been solid, but this role is perhaps the highlight of his career so far. Even the smallest roles are lovingly crafted and portrayed. Dave Bautista's brief appearance in the first scenes of the movie makes for an incredible introduction.

Rather than a jazzed-up reboot or a lame fan-service-laden tribute, this movie feels like natural continuation of the first. Even so, it works very well as a standalone movie, with no real prior knowledge required.

Visuals are beautiful without ever feeling conspicuous, gratuitous or shallow. Sound plays a crucial role and I loved their restraint with the soundtrack (comparatively few scenes use background music to set the mood, relying instead on natural sounds, voices and excellent camerawork). See it in 2D, on the largest and best screen you can find, with the best sound available.

The final act was, I think, flawed, and some of the actors just didn't seem to take well to direction. Jared Leto was characteristically self-absorbed but Villeneuve managed to turn even Leto's inherent lameness into cinematic gold.

My favorite parts involved the relationship between K and Joi. I didn't recognize Ana de Armas, having previously only seen her in an abominable "erotic thriller" starring Keanu Reeves, but she did an incredible job with a limited role, turning a scifi trope that's essentially a fetish into a fully-realized character.

Def. worth the price of admission. I haven't been this pleased with a movie since District 9.

Sweet! I hope to see Blade Runner with my son this week. The previews looked great.
    I heard parts of an interview with the director, and I'll be looking for the dedicated Johnnie Walker

One of the most well-made scifi movies of this past decade. Overall a better movie than the first, although more limited in philosophical scope. Villeneuve's skilful direction is evident in every scene, especially in the performances of the cast. Gosling has always been solid, but this role is perhaps the highlight of his career so far. Even the smallest roles are lovingly crafted and portrayed. Dave Bautista's brief appearance in the first scenes of the movie makes for an incredible introduction.

Rather than a jazzed-up reboot or a lame fan-service-laden tribute, this movie feels like natural continuation of the first. Even so, it works very well as a standalone movie, with no real prior knowledge required.

Visuals are beautiful without ever feeling conspicuous, gratuitous or shallow. Sound plays a crucial role and I loved their restraint with the soundtrack (comparatively few scenes use background music to set the mood, relying instead on natural sounds, voices and excellent camerawork). See it in 2D, on the largest and best screen you can find, with the best sound available.

The final act was, I think, flawed, and some of the actors just didn't seem to take well to direction. Jared Leto was characteristically self-absorbed but Villeneuve managed to turn even Leto's inherent lameness into cinematic gold.

My favorite parts involved the relationship between K and Joi. I didn't recognize Ana de Armas, having previously only seen her in an abominable "erotic thriller" starring Keanu Reeves, but she did an incredible job with a limited role, turning a scifi trope that's essentially a fetish into a fully-realized character.

Def. worth the price of admission. I haven't been this pleased with a movie since District 9.
    I'll agree with most of that and still say it was a subpar movie. For starters. the movie is nearly 3 hours long. That's far too long. It's one thing if it was 3 hours of non-stop action or suspense, but this was not it. Second, none of the characters were likable. Most were lacking in the emotions department (not the actors' fault). There was no character to root for or against until very late in the movie. Third, so much money was spent creating a handful of CGI scenes that the world ended up very underpopulated. It's hard to get a sense that there are a lot of real people in this world when most of the scenes take place in the same few locations, locations that constantly decrease the number of characters on screen. Fourth, and I'm willing to tolerate this flaw, the socioeconomic and political systems are not explored/explained (a few lines about other planets isn't enough). This allowed for multiple deus ex machinas (good and bad).

In conclusion: interesting premise, good acting, good music and CGI, decent plot, but also flawed and too long.

Edit: This is what my review would look like if I want to review school. https://www.theringer.com/movies/201...nis-villeneuve
    Last edited by Loki; 10-09-2017 at 01:49 AM.
    Hope is the denial of reality

In other words, it's mostly worth one large popcorn and one bathroom break.

I decided to see Mother again, and that was a great decision. I think I understand it a little bit better now.

Bladerunner 20149; why does Hollywood insist on making 3 hour movies with 2 hour scripts? My company fell asleep, I had trouble staying awake while hoping for something worthwhile to happen. De big unreveal came much too late for me to still be interested in it.

Wind River; a very solid movie about life and crime in an unforgiving cold and empty Wyoming. What puzzled me a bit was the text about numbers at the end; it seemed to have no relevance to what we'd just seen.
    Congratulations America

I watched parts of the CNN debate between Cruz and Sanders. In the end I thought Cruz deserved the Best Actor award.

C'est la vie, a charming French comedy about a middle aged man who makes a living organizing (wedding) parties.
    Congratulations America

Matilda, a solid romantic movie about the last czar and his Polish mistress Matilda. Don't know what the uproar in Russia is about. Probably those people didn't watch the movie before they started crying blasphemy. Funny though to watch this movie with an audience that was predominantly Russian.
    Congratulations America

Geostorm; just don't bother. Don't waste your money now and certainly don't waste your time if Netflix picks up up this rubbish. Wooden acting, predictable dialogue and, this makes it a triple whammy, no Impressive cgi. Oh, it has a message of sorts.
    Congratulations America

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Geostorm; just don't bother. Don't waste your money now and certainly don't waste your time if Netflix picks up up this rubbish. Wooden acting, predictable dialogue and, this makes it a triple whammy, no Impressive cgi. Oh, it has a message of sorts.
    I could've told you that a decade ago, solely based on the movie's title.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    I could've told you that a decade ago, solely based on the movie's title.
    Sometimes all you want is to be entertained, yesterday evening was one of these times. A movie doesn't have to be true or realistic to be entertaining. Look at Thor, realism was murdered before they fired up the project. But as a movie it was quite satisfying.
    Congratulations America

Saw Thor. Enjoyed it, but it was off. Especially wrt tone. Blanchett kinda got this wrong. Tessa Thompson was even worse in this movie than she was in Westworld. A little too reliant on slapstick and cheap gags. Something about the editing felt off as well. Nevertheless a fun movie and a great capstone to the trilogy. The scifi elements were given a much better treatment than on the previous movies.

Pokemon the Movie: I choose You

It's a retelling of Ash's Pokemon journey. It's really good, a few surprising bits, especially an emotional death that came out of nowhere. Really latches on to you, then it shits the bed with a single line of dialogue: Pikachu speaks a complete and drawn out sentence.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Murder on the Orient Express

meh/10

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Murder on the Orient Express

meh/10
    It was a very well done tv detective, basically.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Justice League, shockingly, far exceeded my expectations. After a gag-inducing found-footage intro and a summat clunky first act full of on-the-nose commentary, it really picked up, maintaining a decent flow of action and humor through to the end. Both of the two major battles were excellent. Action choreography was so-so in the first half but good in the second half. Good structure. One-dimensional but otherwise good antagonist. The movie obviously has its weaknesses. They should've done a much better job with Lois's character. Bruce was rubbish for most of the first half of the movie. Cyborg took nearly an hour to broaden his repertoire from sulk-brood-sneer-sulk. Aquaman is fun for a while but quickly gets old. Too many Snyderesque buttshots survived the editing as well as way, way too much cringe-inducing cheese. One of the main characters is, frankly, just really frickin' boring, except when they play up his creepiness. The climax is poorly handled. But the strengths more than make up for these weaknesses. Bruce improves dramatically in the final act as does Cyborg. Barry's solid except for a couple of bad lines, and his dad is excellent. Every scene involving an Amazon is pretty excellent. There are a few laugh-out-loud funny scenes that sneak up on you, and many other scenes with more low-key humor. Action-scenes and CGI vastly better than BvS. It didn't feel overly long.

There are two extra scenes. The first is is great. The second will make you want to hunt down someone at WB and kick them repeatedly in the shins.

Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol 2

Fun. I enjoyed. Not as fresh as the first, but the not-taking-itself-seriously, tongue-in-cheek humour still worked. Opening/Title sequence was excellent.

I also found myself strangely attracted to a green Zoe Saldana.

Enjoyed Justice League quite a bit. Better than Batman vs. Superman for sure, and I enjoyed the character interactions. One of the flash back scenes was pretty damn epic too and now I want to see a movie just on that!