Thread: What movie did you see today?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by termite View Post
    Watched the old BBC version of Day of the Triffids - the series. (1981)

Weirdest sci-fi ever, giant man eating flowers (triffids) take over the world after almost everyone is blinded by a strange comet/solar flare/bright light in the sky.

I saw this as a kid and recently decided to watch it again, not sure if this was a good idea or not since Jo seemed way sexier in 1981 than she does now and the rest of it just seemed too ludicrous for words.

I still watched all the episodes back to back though.
    Wasn't that also an old black / white film, like from the '50s or '60s?

EDIT: Sucker Punch looks awesome.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Yes, it was - it was originally a novel written by John Wyndham in 1951 and the story alluded to but did not confirm that The Triffids were creatures apparently bio-engineered in the Soviet Union and accidentally released when an aircraft carrying their seeds crashed (or was shot down).

Considering when it was written, the content and the pseudo-political backdrop it was something of a break-through for sci-fi novels - Arthur C Clarke is claimed to have called it an "immortal story".

I just thought that Jo was hot when I was a kid so I thought I'd watch it again.

Oh and I read the book in High School too.
    Such is Life...