Page 8 of 75 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: What movie did you see today?

Fargo v good.

~

Just watched Gran Torino, produced and directed by Eastwood.

Predictable yawn-fest, the same formula as umpteen other American White Person Stands Up To Nigger/Hispanic/Gook Gang Whilst Befriending Oppressed Nigger/Hispanic/Gook movies. Eastwood can do better.

Best thing about the movie was the car

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

When my roommate's done with the TV, I want to finally watch 2001: A Space Odyssey on Netflix.
    Your search had no results.

Quote Originally Posted by Dattu View Post
    When my roommate's done with the TV, I want to finally watch 2001: A Space Odyssey on Netflix.
    Let us know what you make of the ending ....

~

Just ordered In America from Amazon. Uk made movie in 2002 with Samantha Morton, about an Irish family that illegally immigrates to the US. I remember it really touched me when I watched it many years ago, and wanted to see it again. Seeing Samantha Morton in Minority Report the other night reminded me of this film. Anyone else seen it?

Last edited by Timbuk2; 11-19-2010 at 08:13 AM.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dattu View Post
    I bought the 2001: a space odyssey soundtrack on vinyl this weekend

Watched Tron last night. Will be seeing the new Tron in december in avant-premiere, with all the ticket money going to charity
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

The princess and I went to see Harry Potter this morning. It wasn't bad, really.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

I found it to have great qualities as a movie. The shooting was splendid, the surprise scene couldn't have been better executed and Snape is as eerie as ever. Yet it felt lower on the Harry Potter scale somehow. The book was different than the rest of the series too, but really, not sure I'll rewatch it as many times. =/
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Let us know what you make of the ending ....
    I had to read the book to understand. If Kubrick had access to better special effects (although his were amazing...) it might have been easier to follow.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    The princess and I went to see Harry Potter this morning. It wasn't bad, really.
    Do you think its too much for a precocious seven year old?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Do you think its too much for a precocious seven year old?
    It wasn't overly scary or anything, but it might be a bit long for a precocious seven year old. A lot of exposition for the final film. There was one bit where my eleven year old got scared, but even that wasn't particularly bad.

Assuming you've read the books this won't give a thing away:

Spoiler:
    the bit where they are being chased by snatchers is what scared her. it was quite well filmed

I have not read the last book, so thank you for spoilering that. Anyway, my son -7 - and daughter -10 - want to see it (and we've seen all the others, including the freaky seen in 5 where wormtail cuts his own hand off) but a family friend whose opinion I don't put much confidence in said she thought this might have deserved an R rating.
    The Rules

I wouldn't say R, PG-13 is quite sufficient. Your daughter will love it, I'm fairly sure - mine did. My son will enjoy it, but he hates going to the movie theater because of noise, so he chose to wait for the DVD instead.

Shaun of the Dead.

Quote Originally Posted by NGS View Post
    Shaun of the Dead.
    +1

Better Half and I saw Potter over the weekend as well. We liked it...though the scenes with Daniel Radcliff (Harry) taking his clothes off was a bit unnerving.

I know he is in his 20's...but he is playing what...a 16-17 year old?
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    I know he is in his 20's...but he is playing what...a 16-17 year old?
    Buuuh f'get Danny Radcliffe ya big queen.

Emma Watson is where it's at. Mmmmmm .... sooooooo pretty.

She has now officially upstaged the delectable Rachel Weisz as my chief fantasy pinup.

Heh, I am so not going to say what I was about to say when I saw the first picture Bukaroo posted after I got to the end and saw his comment.

I don't find her ugly with that look, just way less attractive than usual. I don't think anyone foresaw she would become such a beauty from the first movie. Neither of them, actually.
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

Good movies: 7 Samurai, Zatoichi films, They Call me Trinity, Trinity is Still my name, IP man, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Twilight Samurai,
    Red River
    Those in bold, must sees, and were quite amazing. I believe Netflix has them all.

That a Detective Conan/Case Closed, avatar Kazuha Vinland?

I had to google it, to be sure, but by the last picture I could tell she was the 'arry 'otter chick.

Much prefer Watson with more hair, but still beautiful nonetheless.

I don't think she's particularly beautiful. Would you notice her with no makeup on? The true test. Youthful fit and cute is what she is. And if you've seen the movies and like spunky, she has that as well.

I wasn't implying that I found her less attractive with the hairdo, just that I think the haircut is rather little-girlish.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    The Hangover was awesome Mike Tyson, tigers, babies, little pissed naked foreign men, stolen police cars....whats not to love? Alan guy was a little to distracting for the few highlights he gave, which was mainly limited to the police station. Otherwise I just considered him an annoying character.
    No offense, but we don't have the same taste. I can pretty much use you as a barometer for what I shouldn't watch.

Or maybe I should just get stoned.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Saw the Manchurian Candidate last night.

Was expecting good things with such a stellar cast.

Boy was I disappointed.

I gave it a 6/10. My lady gave it a 4.

Was looking like it might be ok until it took a trip to weirdsville, and was just not believable from that moment on. Shame, cos Meryl Streep was v good.

Jacob's Ladder covered this concept of secret-mind-control-experiements-on-soldiers-at-war in a much more accomplished manner, and was 10x the movie. One of my all-time favourites.
    You're missing the boat, though. This one is an homage (and a poor one), to the original Manchurian Candidate (Frank Sinatra), which was very good. Jacob's Ladder, and many other films, stole from THAT. I very highly recommend the original if you like classics.

Quick Review: What, did Liam Neison forget how to act? Oh, and the film's plot is riddled with holes of implausibility, though I did like it when the protagonist (unexpectedly) shoots the innocent wife of the French spy-gone-bad in the arm. Terrible film. (1/5 stars)
    Blame George Lucas. Being in the Star Wars movies was what killed Neeson's acting.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowheart View Post
    Watched The Big Lebowski again...still some of my favorite characters ever.
    Finally watched The Hudsucker Proxy, also by the Coens. Pretty good, though not as good as Lebowski or Fargo (mainly though lack of Jeff Bridges). I remember it came out around the same time as The Shawshank Redemption, and I couldn't believe two badly named movies at the same time. That said, once you see Hudsucker, the title will stick in your mind.

Last night I watched Let The Right One In on my iPad. It was described by a critic on Netflix as "Best. Vampire. Movie. Ever." I'm not sure I'd go that far, I mean they didn't even bother to shoot it in English, so....
    Being remade in Hollywood!

I thought subtitles would be cheaper than remaking the entire movie, but hey, I'm not a movie boss.

I wasn't implying that I found her less attractive with the hairdo, just that I think the haircut is rather little-girlish.
    Funny, I found the short hair cut matured her.

To me she now looks like a sophisticated and beautiful young lady rather than a youthful pretty teen.

Heh, I am so not going to say what I was about to say when I saw the first picture Bukaroo posted after I got to the end and saw his comment.
    What what what?

2001: a space odyssey, eurotrip, and tenacious d: the pick of destiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebanese Dragon View Post
    That a Detective Conan/Case Closed, avatar Kazuha Vinland?
    Yup. Been a fan of DC since I was a child and watched the German dub on TV at the time. Have since caught up with the yet released 600 episodes, 13 movies and 11 OVAs. Not to mention I got every OST and most official art from the series. Not only is my avatar inspired by it, but also the "Kazuha" part of my user name comes from the series. I find her awfully cute, although I mostly picked it because I adore the name.

Speaking of which, I definitely look forward to the 14th movie of Detective Conan, titled "The Lost Ship in The Sky". That among many other anime films, such as "The Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi", "Evangelion 3.0: Q" and the next chapter of Ultimate Hellsing. Lots of promise for all of them... that and I need to watch more Hayao Miyazaki films.
    Last edited by Kazuha Vinland; 11-25-2010 at 07:27 PM.

Just watched Splice. Good thriller, if you ignore how unlikely the genetic splice results would have been.
    The Rules

I Want Someone To Eat Cheese With. It's Jeff Garlin's movie take on his early 90s monologue. Very Garlin; very funny.

death by a thousand cuts
    Such is Life...

I wasn't implying that I found her less attractive with the hairdo, just that I think the haircut is rather little-boyish.
    Fixed.
    Such is Life...

Quote Originally Posted by termite View Post
    Fixed.
    A man of taste
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.